Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company settle with...

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay, superb domain, very less politics, transparent appraisal system, very good company.

ConsNothn till now,

Advice to Senior ManagementFaster your wrk...

Good Work Ambience

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee)

Pros1. Good salary
2. Many young people around
3. Secured jobs, since you specialize in their applications

Cons1. Not much to explore on work
2. Not great management in terms of work related issues.

Advice to Senior Managementmake Cerner more happening in terms of work and project, because it keeps employees motivated.

Waste company to work. You will make no progress professionally

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsNo positive to say. At India, there is no development work. All bug fixing and testing.

ConsIts been 3 days since I joined. I felt cheated after joining. You will find worst recruiters of IT industry here.

I regret that I joined leaving beside a very good service based company, thinking Cerner India, as a product company.
In India only bug-fixing is done, and all challenging development is done at US.

I am a developer, with more than 2.5 years exp in a reputed IT company, and after joining, i am asked to do 80% testing, 10% process follow-up, merely 10% development.
I am totally frustrated, and my advise to all, is please never join this company, however attractive package may be.

Dress-code is there. No flexibility, although HR says they support flexibility. Filled with cheaters.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot point in advising the egoistic management.

Just about average

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros1. In an attractive domain , Healthcare
2. Reasonable compensation
3. Plenty of learning resources

ConsI have great respect for the kind of work this company does. But Cerner India is not Cerner US.

1. Quality of work - Working here for 2 years can make you useless to every other company.
2. Deteriorating Quality of India Associates - Overpaid people with minimum skill set rarely leave . These people are useful to the company for the simple fact that they acquire "Cerner skills" which is nothing but set of process that you have to do over and over again. Really sad with this strategy of the parent company.
3. Company within the company- I recently know of an instance when a so called long timer recruited a dumb BPO guy as "architect" into his team. These kind of personal interests happen all the time There is a group of long timers who have survived and will survive with no talent.
4. Great Indian strategy -Majority of the good people recruited here are into the Senior Engineer level. Reasonable compensation and the architect tag are the baits. For a senior engineer the next level is architect .. As soon as you are an SE you think how it is easy to be an architect looking at so many dumb people around bearing the title architects. All of the laterals will say "Just for the title" and the cliche "I can use this title else where since how would they know the quality of work i am doing here" . Truth is for none of them it happens. The existing architects are dumb heads but they certainly know how to save their jobs. They get all technical data entry work to be done by the lateral "Senior Engineers in the team . All pure data entry jobs go to interns. while they Google magazine material and do FB in office .

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop the title Software Architect in Cerner India. That title has a meaning in IT World We have no work that requires a person with this title. So many dumb heads with this title is the worst advertisement you can give for the brand else where.

Good interview process

I have been working at Cerner full-time

ProsThey had come to my college for campus selection. It was organised.

ConsNothing in particular. It went through smoothly.

Good for a Fresher

Delivery Consultant (Current Employee)
Bangalore

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility with attractive compensation and benefits

ConsNot that great with regards to work

Work Experience..

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsIts just like a service based company, with less chances of growth in technology or carrier.

ConsGood chances for onsite and better chances for interns to get permanent employment.

Good working culture

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsAs its a health care company job security is more and i seen people sticking here for longer terms and its one of the recognized company in USA.

ConsWorking culture is good. but i feel they need to upgrade to new technologies. Its under process but takes bit longer time.

Test Analyst

Test Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOnly the compensation is good.

ConsAll other things are worst..

Advice to Senior ManagementWorst management, there are few managers who don't know how to save Excel.

[For Developers] - Good place but not too good.

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFirst of all Healthcare is a very good and stable domain. You will get a great exposure to Healthcare domain. Once you enter cerner, there is definitely a job security. You get promotions easily if you are a decent performer. Cerner offers you a Good CTC which has some good benefits. and lastly you get a good work environment. If you are into Testing, you have life here and you can skip reading cons part below :)

ConsYou get a good CTC, but, you will be shocked to see the in-hand amount. So, better ask for Gross than CTC before joining. Cerner believes in long working hours (120%) but not in efficiency. So, you see people usually working late night here. The work in India is Maintenance. So, you have very little coding. Hence, developers also have to do testing. In Cerner, for a developer there is only 20% of coding and 80% testing is there. So, if you fix one line of code, you have to do BlackBox testing yourself in 4-8 pipelines. And before you finish, there will be many tasks in your bucket. So, you will have no time to think of any other thing or learn something new.

So, if you think you want to settle down and do not want to change the company again, go to Cerner. Because once you enter, it is hard to find new company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to understand what an employee needs. There are lot of talents who are input wrong work. So, do something to reduce the attrition rate.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 506 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.