Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Cerner India review / feedback from current associate

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsI am working for Cerner India since long time now (>2 years) and have also spent some time at Cerner HQ in Kansas City. It is very easy to point out negative but I want to emphasize on good things first - Cerner India recruits fresher from college and pay them well as starting salary (primarily to attract talent because of competitive market today) and the quality of training is superb. This culture comes from Cerner HQ and as an organization they try their best to train the associate in every aspect of healthcare domain and IT skills in line with their business needs. There are lots of big IT players which do not bother to train associates in domain with risk of increasing their employability outside and thus attrition, but Cerner spends good time and money on making fresher Healthcare IT engineers. As such it is good company for fresher to start their career and they will not just be a number there but an associate with due importance.

ConsNow what ails Cerner India? The major problem is highly inefficient managers and architects. There are people at Lead architect and architect level who cannot write one piece of logical code properly, forget helping their teams by giving valuable inputs or architectural insights. These are the people whom Cerner hired when they opened new office in India and they have become indispensable for Cerner India now but as a matter of fact they are good for nothing in terms of technical growth. All new managers which are hired are friends/relatives of current managers so it is a mesh now which has becomes is rotting the culture of India office. They just know how to manage engineers, force them to work till last breath and make excel sheets to keep their bosses in US HQ happy. Because of this big team of highly incompetent leaders in Cerner India, they play dirty politics among themselves to save their skin and good engineers at the bottom get frustrated and say good bye.
    In the nutshell, Cerner is good company to work but I wish someday Cerner HQ realize the true picture of Cerner India and replaces dummy architects with competent ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementCerner HQ realize the true picture of Cerner India and replaces dummy architects with competent ones.

Cerner is a great company to work for

Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsThey have great focus on health and well being of their associates. Competitive pay, and benefits also.

ConsCerner can be a very demanding place to work. Some roles don't seem to have enough work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor people skills in management go unnoticed.. I've seen some very cruel people in authority. Leadership training would benefit many.

It has been a positive experience.

Learning Consultant (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsHard work that challenges you each day.

Consi do not have any cons

Advice to Senior Managementi do not have any advice for management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked

Accountant (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsDecent Pay- Opportunities for Growth

ConsNo work life balance, too much work load and not enough employees to handle it.

Great place to learn the ropse

Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsStarting pay is decent. Personal growth, you will learn where you want to go quickly. Ability to move around on different teams if your leadership is supportive.

ConsBig place. Hard to stand out. If leadership sees fit they can deny internal transfers because of "business need". Basically they can give you litter to no explanation and keep you doing something you do not enjoy.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more consistent and transparent. Also do a better job recognizing people who work the hardest. Stop being "buddy buddy" with certain associates and take the time to get to know your other employees. If they feel you care about them maybe they won't be afraid to speak up and step outside their shell.

Great experience

ProsThere is a lot of room for growth and opportunities for advancement.

ConsIn a high travel role, work life balance can be difficult

good place to work

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS (US)

Prosco-workers are very friendly

Consa lot of work every dsy

delivery consultant

Delivery Consultant (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsGreat company that's taking advantage of a growing Industry. You can change positions after 18 months.

Everybody is young, smart and good looking (if you're a DC).

Typically, you can work remotely after a year and a half or 2.

ConsYou have to move to Kansa City. Kansas City is not that cool. When you get hired, you have no idea where you will end up. It's luck of the draw.

It's hard to go out and meet people that aren't Cerner employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of you seem cool. Some of you don't. I do'nt work with management much.

It's All About Your Team

Software Engineering Intern II (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsThe team I was on was great. We went out to eat every Friday and they were very flexible on hours. From what I have experienced, my team members would work around 45 hour weeks on average. Some of the team would only work the normal 40 though. Overall I enjoyed my work and my environment, especially the in-house clinic and gym.

ConsStarting out it may seem a bit like you have no say on a project. Some engineers are not very concerned with modern programming practice or design and it can become a bit disheartening.

Good environment, innovative work force.

Solution Designer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsCerner is a great company to work for. Laid back environment delivering solid web applications

ConsLow salary with little room to increase pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clients with realistic release dates as to not over work employees. Other than that, keep up the good work.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!