Chegg

Updated 25 October 2014
3.9

Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • We get free lunch and this has been by far the most stress free environment in my career (in 15 reviews)

• work environment is fairly flexible - flexible hours, wfh (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • We're going through growing pains (in 4 reviews)

• 0 career growth unless you're tight with the right director/exec (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great internship experience

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive compensation, free lunch, snacks, gym etc. Internship program was very well organized: speaker series given by company leaders, outdoor activities (SF city tour, Giants game, etc), internship showcase, etc. Employees here are very talented and supportive.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons for the internship.

Awesome culture!

Former Employee - Contractor in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Contractor in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Chegg as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Trendy office. Smart people(Nice people). Very cool perks even for a temp worker. Smart tools. Well managed teams. Transparency. They try to stay and use cutting edge tools for software development. CEO is a very cool person. I feel motivated coming to the office everyday. A truly good place to work when you are given very good perks and of course, talented colleagues(Free food. Gym. Hackathon. Monthly guest speakers).

Cons

Hmm.. Career growth? I am not sure. I am temp worker.

Keep up the good work! I want this company to succeed and go beyond. Staying in the education industry is good enough service.

A nice place to stay

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at Chegg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is nice knowing that the company is trying to help others.
    Depending on managers you can usually get a lot of free time to play games in the office, working out at the gym, or go for short walks to help clear your mind.
    Choice of lunch every day + snacks

Cons

Moving away from old systems is slow.

More transparency and less surprises is always nice.

Good company with friendly people

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Chegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are friendly, compensation is good, free lunches and it is possible to take long vacations. The office contains a pool table and a gym.

Cons

Being typecast in a role is quite common (and a lot of employees there know it), so it is difficult to expand career wise.

Chegg is always pushing the envelope

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Team Lead in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Chegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Chegg's work environment is pleasant, with great design aesthetics, activities, and snacks. The company is innovative and well structured.

Cons

There is little departmental interaction, and vertical growth (was) very difficult due to managerial alliances that were formed during the company's early days.

Exploit the skills and talents from all employees, no matter what their position, because even the lowest level has growth potential--and that growth can be fostered within the company, or ultimately with a competitor.

Great Company with Awesome Work Culture!

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Worked here as an intern. Great company with very good work culture! Had opportunity to work on very good projects. all the intern events were very well organized and had lot of fun!! In all a great internship experience.
    Other perks: free lunch, gym etc

Cons

There are no cons !!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Chegg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people here are very welcoming and friendly. They are very much aligned with the company's mission. The work is great and the benefits are pretty good. Well organized for a company which went public recently. They have continuos integration and follow standard coding practices.
    The choices for the free lunch are pretty good as well and they save time and money. Work hours are decent and not as bad as some of the others might have mentioned. Other perks are free gym/classes, flexible vacation(unlimited as they call it), chegg chats(speaker series, they brought in jeff weiner, meg whitman recently). Overall a fun environment to work!!

Cons

I honestly do not have lot of cons up until now.

Passionate people and a great mission and value!

I worked at Chegg as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and amazing group of people. Everyone is passionate and really cares about the mission of Chegg which makes it easier to be at work. They really value interns especially since we are they're target market. We get to work on actual projects and across teams. I have learnt so much throughout my time here and I really love the culture of this company. As an intern we got to do a lot of things this summer - intern events in the city to meeting all the executives in the company to Chegg chats (got to hear from MC Hammar, Jeff Weiner and more to come..). People in the company work hard and strive to be amongst the best when to comes to students and education.
    The CEO of the company is like no other. He is always talking to people around the office especially the interns to find out how to make the product better and reach the goal he has set. He has a lot of insights into the industry and is always ready to talk.

Cons

It's hard to say! But, sometimes I wish things would move a bit faster.

Love this place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at Chegg (more than an year)

Pros

The mission of the company is what gets me out of bed in the morning. These folks are serious about improving education and making students lives better. So I really enjoy working for a company doing something I believe in. The guest speakers that come in are phenomenal. Hard working yet still really good work/ life balance in a positive, fun environment with lots of perqs.

Cons

No company is perfect but the positive far outweighs any negative.

Great Ideas, poor execution

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Chegg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Low expectations of employees, free lunch, loose paid time off policy (only if your manager is nice), lots of schwag, free parking

Cons

Poor internal communication, no consistency, weak management, constantly shifting focus, wastes lots of money on schwag. The CEO is a good cheerleader, but 90% of what he promises is not delivered. He also has a foul mouth, drops F bombs and makes lewd jokes during company meetings. You will also never get promoted at Chegg, ever.

Define a process on how to build products/features/ect.... Hold yourself accountable to that process, whatever it may be. Choose one thing, focus on doing it very well. Then and only then, expand to building the next thing. Trust your employees. Stop wasting stockholders money on schwag, seriously slow down on all that gabnage. Make your brand consistent across all your products.