Children's Home + Aid

Updated 27 September 2014
2.6

Nancy Ronquillo

Loved my job

Former Employee - Youth Counselor  in  Belleville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Belleville, IL (US)

I worked at Children's Home + Aid part-time for more than a year

Pros

The agency is filled with open and supportive co-workers. The position has a flexible schedule. If you like to play with children and bring some joy to their lives this is a good job for you. Children's Home and Aid pays the best mileage I've heard of. I worked part time and often my expense check paid for my gas, new car payment , and insurance.

Cons

It is difficult to get a full-time position in this job. Therefore, no benefits. You have to have your own reliable transportation.

stress

Former Employee - Outreach
    Former Employee - Outreach

I worked at Children's Home + Aid part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people in my office were wonderful, the experience was interesting, and I learned a lot I interned here and worked after-hours as crisis staff. Good supervision.

Cons

Employee turnover is high because employee pay is low and the work load and stress level is through the roof.

Look to your employees for feedback and actually use it.

CH+A

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Networking with other like professionals

Cons

Many changes in management, benefits, and pay.

Review pay, the fact that 70% of your workforce qualify for assistance, medical, child care or TANF.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Scary!

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

location - there are many good, talented people working & trying to survive there!

Cons

it feels like you are back in Jr Hi: too many cliques; too much back biting and the Regional Associate Exec nurtures it!!

Get rid of the "back biting culture!" - I don't think that the CEO (Nancy R) is in touch with what is going on downstate. She got her big promotion as the CEO & the rest is history!!

Rewarding experience but management was a nightmare

Former Employee - Family Counselor/Therapist  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Family Counselor/Therapist in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many opportunities for professional development, salary incentives when you became licensed, and working with the clients was very rewarding.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

Management was very unprofessional, cliquish, and non supportive. I had issues with my direct supervisor and when I went her boss to share my concerns, she ignored them and immediately took my supervisor's side without investigating my claims.

All managers/ coordinators should recieve supervisory training annually so that they can be effective leaders.

Shady practices, poor management, mistreated staff, blatant disregard for staff morale

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, location, some talented staff

Cons

Career Ladder, unfair scheduling and pay practices. No respect. Terrible communication from management, stressful atmosphere, cliques, bullying, director won't listen.

Listen to your staff, especially their pay concerns and management policies. Use common sense, be fair. Reexamine staff attendance. Many salaried employees take advantage and do not pull their weight.

I enjoy working for Children's Home + Aid.

Current Employee - After School Instructor  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - After School Instructor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

This company does good work. It helps bring programming to kids who are less fortunate. You get to network with other schools and share talents and ideas.

Cons

Most instructors hired to do programming do so as contractor. As such, one only gets paid once a month and have to take care of their own taxes.

It would be great of you could offer the availability of being hired to your contractors.

Used to be good place with people who cared about children and each other. Now it's all about the almighty $$

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Rockford, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Rockford, IL (US)

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some flexibility in adjusting schedule as needed

Cons

Management doesn't care about staff anymore. They hired a ton of executive level people but never enough front line staff. They manipulate lower levels to get the most money possible with no concern for the level of stress this can place on workers. Pay is lower than most any other agency. No room to advance in many areas.

GET OVER YOURSELVES AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FRONT LINE STAFF!!! Give up some of those $300K salaries to hire people in areas that staff are needed.

Administratively heavy...not invested in the children

I worked at Children's Home + Aid

Pros

Administrators look after other administrators

Cons

Quality service to client populations is not a priority!

Complete a program analysis for EACH program to optimize functionality & recommit to serving the client rather than lining your pockets!

Reputable company

I worked at Children's Home + Aid

Pros

Reputable company who treats their clients like family. I was proud to work for them. Great boss, team/coworkers. Flex time so you didn't burn out. Yearly pay increases.

Cons

Meager pay, as with most social services jobs, at least entry level. Little room for advancement within my particular sector (foster care services). Pay increase yearly was little to nothing and other opportunities for increased pay all part of "Career ladder" with close to impossible standards. Little room for balance btw Paperwork and field work, one seemed to always suffer in order to meet standards from agency handed down by DCFS which changed pretty often.

Worked for Children's Home + Aid? Contribute to the Community!