Children's Home + Aid

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nancy Ronquillo

Shady practices, poor management, mistreated staff, blatant disregard for staff morale

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits, location, some talented staff

ConsCareer Ladder, unfair scheduling and pay practices. No respect. Terrible communication from management, stressful atmosphere, cliques, bullying, director won't listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, especially their pay concerns and management policies. Use common sense, be fair. Reexamine staff attendance. Many salaried employees take advantage and do not pull their weight.

I enjoy working for Children's Home + Aid.

After School Instructor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThis company does good work. It helps bring programming to kids who are less fortunate. You get to network with other schools and share talents and ideas.

ConsMost instructors hired to do programming do so as contractor. As such, one only gets paid once a month and have to take care of their own taxes.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great of you could offer the availability of being hired to your contractors.

Used to be good place with people who cared about children and each other. Now it's all about the almighty $$

Case Manager (Current Employee) Rockford, IL (US)

ProsSome flexibility in adjusting schedule as needed

ConsManagement doesn't care about staff anymore. They hired a ton of executive level people but never enough front line staff. They manipulate lower levels to get the most money possible with no concern for the level of stress this can place on workers. Pay is lower than most any other agency. No room to advance in many areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementGET OVER YOURSELVES AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FRONT LINE STAFF!!! Give up some of those $300K salaries to hire people in areas that staff are needed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Administratively heavy...not invested in the children

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAdministrators look after other administrators

ConsQuality service to client populations is not a priority!

Advice to Senior ManagementComplete a program analysis for EACH program to optimize functionality & recommit to serving the client rather than lining your pockets!

Reputable company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReputable company who treats their clients like family. I was proud to work for them. Great boss, team/coworkers. Flex time so you didn't burn out. Yearly pay increases.

ConsMeager pay, as with most social services jobs, at least entry level. Little room for advancement within my particular sector (foster care services). Pay increase yearly was little to nothing and other opportunities for increased pay all part of "Career ladder" with close to impossible standards. Little room for balance btw Paperwork and field work, one seemed to always suffer in order to meet standards from agency handed down by DCFS which changed pretty often.

Different and Unique

Teacher (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsCaring and supportive employees
    Build your experience
    Establish lasting relationships
    Dedicated employees
    Great wellness program
    Strong client teacher relationship
    Community based programs

ConsNot enough opportunity for growth and development for employees seeking higher education and career change.
    Improve communication channels within the different sites

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and support employees need for improvement and career change.

The hardest job you w/ ever do

Statewide Administration (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat Social Workers helping their community despite obstacles

ConsNo work/life balance, no chance for upward mobility, disparity in pay, zero perks and low salary

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the "me" attitude of your Upper Admin Leaders.

Good at my level, not so much above me

ProsI have a good supervisor who allows me the flexibility I need to do my job well. The atmosphere in my office is very family oriented. The majority of the employees do quality work and do care about the children and families served.

ConsToo much weight at the executive level, not enough IT support (there should be at least one IT person in each area, stop making them travel all over), not enough communication between upper management and lower levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using all sorts of consultants to come up with half-baked ideas that don't work with the day-to-day staff. Communicate upcoming projects across regions better. Take time to recognize that a lot of "average Joes" can contribute lots of small amounts instead of always looking for the biggest donors to make major donations. Stop being cheerleaders and shadow staff to see what we really do.

Loved The Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prossurrounded by great managers who share the same passion as you do of working with youth, women, and families. Loved how much they go out of their way to make sure they have a impact on those they interact with

Consthere aren't any down sides to this company

Poor management, no advancement potential and extreme favoritism

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsI have met some great co-workers and have bonded with many families, I have learned a few things along the way

ConsAdministrators look the other way while people play the system. Breaks are inadequate. There are some teachers who have no concept of child development yet seem to run the place. Parents run the show, policies are not followed and "at-risk" or low income people should not drive luxury cars and have iphones.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and don't let a few bully the rest. People may seem qualified on paper, but in reality have no business working with defenseless babies. Your next employee might be the one to finally call DCFS.

Worked for Children's Home + Aid? Contribute to the Community!