Chubb Corp Reviews

Updated 24 April 2015
211 reviews filtered by

I enjoyed working at Chubb. They work hard to do the right thing and take a balanced approach to the insurance business

Former Employee - Underwriter in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Chubb Corp

Pros

* Chubb values underwriting expertise, claims handling, and relationships with their brokers have a solid reputation in the industry. These values come into action with their matrix reporting structure with branch managers who manage the agents and underwriters who need support from home office. The underwriters have to appease both in order to do their job correctly.

Cons

* The matrix organization can be cumbersome at times trying to please different leaders and to keep everyone in the loop.
    * They have too many meetings.
    * The have slimmed down their home office staff who has been overworked and too focused on tactics at times such that they could not develop strong enough strategies.

Advice to Management

* Bulk up on home office staff. Underwriting expertise is the key to long term success in this business.

2. Overall good place to work

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Good Pay & Benefits
    -Overall Company culture tries to reflect work life balance
    -Flexible work arrangements

Cons

-Staffing levels not appropriate. Multiple employee engagement surveys have pointed this out but there's been no discernible change.
    -Culture of Inclusion is good, however it's stressed to such a level that a while male or non minority almost feels like a second class citizen.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be quicker to respond to make decisions and changes based on solid branch recommendations. it's a very slow process.

3. They're just OKAY

I have been working at Chubb Corp

Pros

Good benefits, vacation time, good work life balance

Cons

Promotions, raises, no mobility, technology is old

5. Great company, not enough training

Former Employee - Web/Billing Representative in Whitehouse Station, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Web/Billing Representative in Whitehouse Station, NJ (US)

I worked at Chubb Corp

Pros

Great benefits, compensation, and work environment

Cons

lack of adequate training to do job

Its a Job, not a career

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Chubb Corp

Pros

The benefits and salary were decent. Full Time hours.

Cons

Very old company stuck in the past technology wise, very political. Job promotion is based of engagement spending a whole lot of time doing projects and committees outside of working hours that have no measure on how well you can do a job. Each office and department acts as separate entities. Internal customer service is horrible, just in my particular office reps were rude and unprofessional in comparison to another top ranked insurer. Most people employed with the company have been there for several years. Not a position and place to grow.

Advice to Management

Need Better Morale and Customer Service

Good training, but you have to move to another company if you want to make any money.

Former Employee - Claims in Simsbury, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Claims in Simsbury, CT (US)

I worked at Chubb Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Before a "reorg" of the claims department, this was one of the better companies to work for if you were in the claims department. They cut loose some long-time, loyal quality employees in their move to provide Chevrolet service at Cadillac rates. The underwriting philosophy is still pretty solid, though, and it is a company that you can feel confident will still be around in 20 years.

Cons

Upper management are bean counters without souls. They seriously do not care about the people who work for them.

Advice to Management

Take a look behind the curtain.

Excellent at attracting talent, mediocre in retaining it.

Current Employee - Underwriter in Whitehouse Station, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Whitehouse Station, NJ (US)

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros - flexible work arrangements, autonomy, amazing coworkers, management's commitment to your development

Cons

Work environment is not conducive to retaining a young person like myself. But the insurance industry as a whole is a "silver" one, and I'm often the youngest in the room.

The pay isn't enough. For an older employee, lesser pay may be a viable trade off to be able to work from home, have flexible hours, and etc. But for young talent like myself, those benefits wont really be applicable until 7+ years from now. So it's getting hard for me justifying to myself why I should stay at a company paying me way less than what a competitor would. Atleast give me some good and useful perks, or revamp this whole cubicle farm setup!

Advice to Management

Be proactive in adapting to the new employee demographic. Otherwise, great talent will continue to leave. This doesn't nessecarily mean higher pay. Other more applicable benefits to us such as commuter assistance, laptops, financial planning seminars, would just as easily suffice.

Good company working to bring it's culture to a more contemporary state

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ (US)

I worked at Chubb Corp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong development culture offering many opportunities for learning, strength of underwriting discipline, typically supportive of work-life balance, solid ethical values, strong management support of diversity. Respected in the insurance industry. Great place to enter the insurance industry.

Cons

Flat organization can slow progress; also pretty defined silos within the company; culture can be passive/aggressive with indirect communication. Anticipated executive leadership change creating interesting dynamics

Chubb - the definition of mediocrity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ (US)

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company, good salaries, stable company, nice people, stable company, good career opportunities, etc.

Cons

This is the perfect company for people who want to stay at one company, not be overly challenged, stay there FORVEVER and retire. The average employee has been there 10-20 years. And it's not because Chubb is the best company in the world. It's because no one is overly challenged and employees are allowed to stay - whether they are significant contributors or not. Technology is from the 1970s. There are very few millennials. 50% of Chubb's workforce will be retiring in the next 5 years. If you aspire to Google, Yahoo, Amazon or Bloomberg, want to be innovative in a highly energetic environment, this is not your place. As an investor, I don't know how you would ever invest in a company this far behind the times.

Advice to Management

Invest. Invest in your people, technology and culture.

11. So far, so good

Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Warren, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Warren, NJ (US)

I have been working at Chubb Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Pay not competitive, earning potential obscure