Ciena

Ciena Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Ciena President, CEO, and Director Gary B. Smith

Gary B. Smith

Pros
  • This allows employees to have a great work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and good work environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth plan for employees(in 6 reviews)

• The upper management does not know what they are doing(in 6 reviews)

Industry Leader

Tech Support (Current Employee) Hanover, MD (US)

ProsGood people, good benefits. Chances to learn new technologies

ConsCareer direction seems to be an after thought

good

Prosgood people working with, easy office culture

Consindustry limit, low earning margin

Ciena Review

Senior Test Engineer (Current Employee) Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

ProsLatest Optical Transport Technology

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership
    Training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable but dead-end

Global Product Support Engineer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros- If you're lucky, you'll end up with colleagues you want to spend weekday and some weekends with!
    - Work/Life balance & benefits (health, DCPP, etc)
    - Ottawa/Carling campus is beautiful
    - Ever-growing; New challenges always around the corner to keep your mind stimulated
    - The company is on a growth trajectory currently which means new projects, more customers which ensures job stability/security
    - Growth also gives way for [hopefully] more frequent & larger bonuses and opportunity to move within firm

Cons- Unpredictable work volume
    - The number of new challenges you must overcomes grows everyday; You need a wicked memory
    - Unspoken rules, "mandatory" 44 hour work week BS!
    - No raises, no compensation aside from base salary and overtime if you qualify
    - Bonuses and raises are a joke/non-existent
    - Very few opportunities for new-grads to progress in terms of career development

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should not ignore current employees, especially those who are relatively new (2-4 years) when it's time to award compensation/raises. This does not promote loyalty and leaves very little incentive to stick around.

Great product, poor management

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsInnovative product with rich feature set and high reliability.

ConsPoor management. Politics not productivity determine employment status, bonus and raises. Constant demand to work weekends for show, not need.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate performance with actual performance information.

Good Opportunity for a Time

Accounting and Finance (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsSalaries are good, bonuses are getting there, time-off

ConsHR is horrible, do not expect support or career advise from this group. Procedures are put into place without training to those will be required to carry out.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not preach party-line to the masses who know better, provide training opportunities for All employees. The company does not run on the backs of engineers and sales alone.

Hardware Engineer

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Linthicum, MD (US)

ProsSalary is competitive. Good co-works. New technology

ConsThe upper management does not know what they are doing. Short term focused and all are about making themselves rich.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board is not doing the job.

Worked one term as an Intern

Test Automation (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat Place to work at. Very friendly and extremely helpful co-workers. Lots of opportunities to learn new stuff. Would recommend a friend to apply.

ConsNeed appropriate training and guidance for interns and co-ops. Should be immensely independent and be willing and skilful to manage tasks on our own.

Enlightening

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Hanover, MD (US)

ProsWith a minute exception, the leadership team is solid and focussed. If you are in need of support, you can find the right person(s) or get pointed in the right direction. The company is supportive of growth and individual development towards a career goal.

ConsToo many "rocks" that slows the company's growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe leaders and not bosses

Good place to work

Prosflexible hours, friendly, technology leader. Ciena is a good place to work and offers competitive vacation days.

Consdistributed teams across many countries, office space is cramped and overcrowded

Worked for Ciena? Contribute to the Community!