Ciena

Ciena Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Ciena President, CEO, and Director Gary B. Smith

Gary B. Smith

Pros
  • This allows employees to have a great work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and good work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth plan for employees (in 6 reviews)

• The upper management does not know what they are doing (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company with good exposure

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Mumbai

ProsHave a lot of roles to play . Easy to learn

ConsHectic work and work culture is dictated by team

Review

Lead Engineer P&T (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsGood work, great people. Flexibility, good technology, good work and life balance, communication and compensation for NCR. Recommend this place to work for.

ConsCareer planning,

Not sure what more to say but have to match the requirement of 20 words minimum so hence this spurious statement.

nothing exciting

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

Prosgood pay
    free food
    free cab
    lots of insurance goodies
    work life balance

Consunexciting work ,mediocre people ,no onsite

Advice to Senior Managementnothing in particular,in any case they are least bothered

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has been good working here.

Module Lead (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsBest facilities, good salary and flexi timing.

ConsVery few on site opportunities.

Nice place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsWork life balance is great

ConsThe salary structure is a bit non favorable

Best Work Place

Data Management (Former Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsExcellent Environment with lovely management

ConsI had not encountered any bad thing about the Company

Advice to Senior ManagementAll is Good.

Good company to work with. Don't forget to negotiate well before joining. Usually it's nof yers X 2/2.5

Senior Engineer 2B (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsGood compnay, good work. good compensation, good environment, excellent facility, good life balaance.

ConsIf you fail negotaite well then you will feel bad for the entire tenure, if you are a process oriented guy then this might not be the company for you.

It has been good experience working at Ciena so far.

IT Service Desk/IT Support (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsLess Work Pressure, Independence in terms of vacations and holidays, Good processes and technology to learn from. FOOD dominantly plays important role. Good food.

ConsGrowth is limited, Sudden and instant terminator from job, Salary is less Keep most of the employees on contract thus keeping us biased from EMPLOYEES in terms of facilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the employee satisfaction as a key strategy to get best out of a employees, as you have in a past couple of years, sustain it.

An honest opinion

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

Pros1. Saturday morning you can be @ your native place if you are in 0-700 km radius from Delhi
    2. Enjoy weekend with wife/family/girlfriend or liquor ..no office-office in weekend
    3. Work - No Rocket Science, if you are an average performer this is the right place for you
    4. If you know how to talk well, kudos..!! believe me you are among 1% of the total employees of Ciena india !
    5. There is a big lucrative after you successfully complete the project/release. A mail of appreciation from Mgr with few spelling mistakes, couple of forwarded mail and e-APPLAUSE - worth 0 INR

Cons1. If you know technology, you might never get a chance to use it.
    2. A lot of closed door zero transparency meetings ! Mind it.. doors are with zero transparency too :)
    3. You saw managers smiling ? will happen only when they are with their peers !
    4. Ciena India got a mention globally ..come on...it must be community outreach/best workplace/diwali-dhamaka or cricket

Advice to Senior Management1. Managers please start acting smart. Your dull faces create further antipathy.
    2. Please get technical sessions conducted across the teams.. let them feel it is technology industry.. not a coding only factory !
    3. Get few people in the management with strong communication skills (even if they lack on technical front) so that in the meetings across sites they can defend their employees view rather accepting/agreeing on everything.
    4. Inspire your employee with awards/recognitions, you will get 200%out of them
    5. Managers please speak in english in meetings to create professional atmosphere

It is full of ups and down

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

Prosfacilities - A very good office, though as number of employee are growing avg space of an employee is reducing. But I will rate is very high, given the fact that I have worked in 4 more companies.
    Lunch at office - It is one of the hidden reasons why people are not leaving the company :)
    Salary - Best at least among the peers in NCR
    Work - Work is average. Although on cutting edge technology but low in value chain.

Consfirst line managers, communication with employees. Too many senior people and no relevant work for them. This has created huge problem in organizational growth. Even for junior engineers growth has stopped. A great rift between managers and engineer. A technology company should respect its engineer more than its manager but in Ciena it is just opposite more like a manufacturing company.
    Promotions here are less celebrated because there are more controversy than general acceptance

Advice to Senior ManagementTake people in confidence. Explain to them current scenario rather than giving unreasonable excuses. Be transparent in your decision. Make an environment where we feel proud to work in.

Worked for Ciena? Contribute to the Community!