Ciena

Ciena Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Ciena President, CEO, and Director Gary B. Smith

Gary B. Smith

Pros
  • This allows employees to have a great work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and good work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth plan for employees (in 6 reviews)

• The upper management does not know what they are doing (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Prosflexible hours, friendly, technology leader. Ciena is a good place to work and offers competitive vacation days.

Consdistributed teams across many countries, office space is cramped and overcrowded

Excellent work environment, great products

Senior Software Engineerenior Account Director (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsStrong technical team, great sales support, great earnings potentail

ConsLimited promotion opportunities, good ol' boy network at corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some deadwood that adds little value but earns big salaries. Housecleaning is long overdue.

Major part of the quality work is Off-shored,

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Hanover, MD (US)

ProsFlexibility. International Presence. Company seems to be growing

ConsCiena is not a place that will enhance your technical skills. Its a place to do some legacy ownership, and light work. The technical teams are Disorganized, disconnected. This mainly happens because most of the quality work is off-shored, with major control given to off shore teams. The vibes hence is on buying specialized skills from outside rather than build technical expertise, within, but in reality these specialized skills have little experience, and quite little tendency to share the work, or transfer knowledge to those internal to team. Less transparency and reliability witnessed on the culture of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuilding internal skills always helps long run. But if outsourcing is the path chosen by company, it maybe a better idea to hire internship managers who can manage this team. Technical people would obviously expect an enhancement of their technical skills, and its only fair hence not to hire them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Electronics Technician (Former Employee) Linthicum Heights, MD (US)

ProsThere is no micro-managing. VERY diverse workforce

ConsPays less than average for position

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more performance raises

Ciena is a terrible place to work

Senior Field Eng (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThere is absolutely no good reason to be employed here. They treat their employees horribly and have taken nearly their entire workforce off-shore, calling themselves "a U.S. based company". Decietful liars.No bonuses to those that tow the line.

ConsSelfish management, no work life balance, slave-like atmosphere. Management takes care of only themselves. I have been dragged all over the planet performing my job above expectations and I have not received a raise or bonus in two+ years of employment here. This place is absolutely horrible and I do not recommend emplyment here. I came over from Nortel Networks where employees were treated with dignity and respect. Ciena is selfless and selfish.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves

Optical vendor, state of the art technology in long haul and metro DWDM optical solutions for telecommunications.

Lead Engineer P&T (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsBest in their niche, one of the few of it's kind that survived the tech bubble

ConsBig H1-B visa house, slave labor for a few years till they get their green card. About 90% Indian at the Alpharetta location. Not a diverse workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the majority of your employees from US citizens graduating college, with less that 10% H1-B candidates.

Great growth company.

ProsLeading solutions that are helping drive the future of communications, cloud and the Internet.

ConsQuick to cut employees without notice or providing an opportunity to move to a new role.

junior hardware designer coop position.

Computer Hardware Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosgreat people work with great lab environment, it is a flexible time to work with enough time for assignments with other team members, weekly meeting update as nortel's style, learning more technologies via internal training course without cost, all new tools and education is provided by online and workshop. teamwork and individual work base.
    great senior engineers are working so hard in the lab and lots of learning with them for new engineering concepts and developments.

Consnot too much food in cafe, each year cut off people with bad performance without notification. some people are eating food in the office and it is not enough space to take break without people

Great work life balance

Software Engineer || (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible work hours. I can work from home. This allows employees to have a great work-life balance.

ConsMany engineers with many years of experience. It is very difficult to get ahead but you'll learn a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide comprehensive career path.

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsSmall teams, work hour flexibility

ConsLimited room for growth, no career mentoring

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to assign tasks which align to employee's interests

Worked for Ciena? Contribute to the Community!