Citizens Financial Group

Updated 20 November 2014
2.5

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is well respected and most managers are supportive of colleagues needs (in 25 reviews)

• I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance if you are a branch employee; branches are severely understaffed (in 22 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great hours, amazing people

Former Employee - Teller in Malden, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Malden, MA (US)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Holidays and weekends off in some branches

Cons

Pay could be higher.
    Training is quite boring and long

Make training fun

Working at Citizens Bank for over 5 years. It's an ok company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good benefits from the amount of PTO you get down to the medical and dental. I would say one of the best I have had.

Cons

No work life balance. The call nights are just a waste of time. It's all about hitting the numbers and then when you do, it's still not good enough.

The stress is getting unbearable. Not enough tellers or bankers. I also feel that the Liscened Banker program was not the best thing to have happen at Citizens Bank. It's still a new program but not too sure if it is working.

Personal Banker Universal

Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Universal Banker in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, good pay for college students

Cons

TERRIBLE company culture, if you want to work for someone who does not value you work here at Citizens Bank, they're is absolutely no repayment for the amount of pushy uncomfortable sales you have to do. If you do make a commission they will find a way to take it away from you. The number one priority is sales. If you don't sell at least a checking account per shift they will make your life miserable.

value your employees

could have been better

Former Employee - Personal Banker Univ in Beverly, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Banker Univ in Beverly, MA (US)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

compensation was good, and the amount possible for bonuses was also very high. I didn't receive benefits from here but from what I heard there were good benefits.

Cons

management did not know what they were doing, branch manager and assistant manager never got along. Branch manager did not allow for growth, consistently tried to hold employees back. also did not like the hours, very hard to balance school with this job.

Great people but expect to work hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with day to day are great. Everyone helps each other and try to make it fun. There are plenty of different career options to work towards.

Cons

There aren't enough people to get the work done so many work long hours and teams are overloaded. The pace of change is exhausting.

Talk to people and hear their concerns about staffing. Set realistic expectations and reward those that get the work done.

Good Colleagues at Citizens.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many different career opportunities in the Boston & Providence locations.

Cons

Different business lines operate in their own silo's.

Manage two levels down more often and you will identify opportunities to improve the bank and reduce attrition.

loan officer

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great branch exposure, solid benefits, good comp plan

Cons

too management heavy, poor operational support, unreasonable underwriters. Citizens is run by operations people, not sales leaders.

Senior level managers need to get out to the field more to see how hard the LO's really work and see what their needs are.

Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job that gives great exposure to the financial services industry. Depending on where your branch is located, you could be rewarded with competent management both at the branch and regional level. If you work in a traditional stand alone branch you'll have holidays and Sundays off as well as rotating Saturdays. There are a lot of career opportunities available however, the bank has made it quite evident that they want to keep their sales staff in the branches and not give them the opportunity to move to the corporate offices. The customers for the most part are great and after they get use to seeing your face on a consistent basis, they will keep coming back to you. Depending on your branch, your coworkers could be so much fun to work with especially when everyone understands that everyone feels the same way.

Cons

If I knew what the job actually was at the time which I interviewed, I would have never accepted the offer. Management is putting multiple responsibilities on the shoulders of its underpaid branch staff and is not offering or approving requests for pay increases. Sales goals and the incentive program go hand in hand when you see how little you get for a quarterly bonus. The conference calls, reporting, call nights, the Customer Experience Process (which is a monster of its own), all are a waste of time when you see how little your quarterly bonus is. No one cares one bit about what is good for the client. They only care about making the daily sales goals and quarterly bonuses. If a customer has weak sales resistance, they are as good as gold in the branch. It's not personal banking and the theme is clear, how much can we get out of the customer today. Be prepared for a lot of call nights until 6 or 7pm and also be prepared to realize you are calling the same customers all the time most likely for the same products.

It's sad that every colleague is aware how much the CEO is going to be making after the upcoming IPO, how much senior management is taken care of (i.e. housing expense, astronomical salaries), and how little branch staff gets in return for all that we do. If it weren't for the branches badgering customers in the branch, outside the branch, and on the phone for sales and referrals, none of the well compensated back office/corporate staff would have jobs. People are quitting and are openly talking about applying to or interviewing for new jobs in ways similar to how people talk about planning a vacation. The turn over is shameful and it's has gone to the point in which people don't bother getting to know each other because it's a revolving door. The bank has created a poor reputation in regards to how it treats its colleagues and customers through out the industry amongst former or prospective customers and competing banks.

not the same typical bank it use to be

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Plymouth, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Plymouth, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked with a lot of great people over the years. I love the sales as long as it is need based. Great place to start and then move on.

Cons

there is no work life balance as there use to be. Incentives have gone away but the work load has not. It has turned into a big bank going to a profit and loss basis. They are decreasing benefits in 2015. Taking back 5 vacation days and reducing the match on the 401K. The pension was pulled a few years back with other benefits. They want numbers not quality. regional manager asks for weekly commitment (sales) and does not care where we get them

care about the employees more than the bottom line. they say to honor the citizens credo, but they do not. upper management has us pushing sales to meet bottom line even if it is not need based.

Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Malden, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Malden, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefit package, Community based company

Cons

Need to add more balance in co-workers social meeting or events

Keep up the good work, work on giving better raises/bonuses

Citizens Financial Group Photos