Citizens Financial Group

Updated 23 September 2014
2.5

Citizens Financial Group CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

Pros
  • Work life balance is well respected and most managers are supportive of colleagues needs (in 24 reviews)

• Good Benefits and a changing work environment that's friendly to employees to attract talent (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance in this company (in 15 reviews)

• They don't understand that there are sales goals and that it is a sales position (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people but expect to work hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I work with day to day are great. Everyone helps each other and try to make it fun. There are plenty of different career options to work towards.

Cons

There aren't enough people to get the work done so many work long hours and teams are overloaded. The pace of change is exhausting.

Talk to people and hear their concerns about staffing. Set realistic expectations and reward those that get the work done.

loan officer

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great branch exposure, solid benefits, good comp plan

Cons

too management heavy, poor operational support, unreasonable underwriters. Citizens is run by operations people, not sales leaders.

Senior level managers need to get out to the field more to see how hard the LO's really work and see what their needs are.

Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a job that gives great exposure to the financial services industry. Depending on where your branch is located, you could be rewarded with competent management both at the branch and regional level. If you work in a traditional stand alone branch you'll have holidays and Sundays off as well as rotating Saturdays. There are a lot of career opportunities available however, the bank has made it quite evident that they want to keep their sales staff in the branches and not give them the opportunity to move to the corporate offices. The customers for the most part are great and after they get use to seeing your face on a consistent basis, they will keep coming back to you. Depending on your branch, your coworkers could be so much fun to work with especially when everyone understands that everyone feels the same way.

Cons

If I knew what the job actually was at the time which I interviewed, I would have never accepted the offer. Management is putting multiple responsibilities on the shoulders of its underpaid branch staff and is not offering or approving requests for pay increases. Sales goals and the incentive program go hand in hand when you see how little you get for a quarterly bonus. The conference calls, reporting, call nights, the Customer Experience Process (which is a monster of its own), all are a waste of time when you see how little your quarterly bonus is. No one cares one bit about what is good for the client. They only care about making the daily sales goals and quarterly bonuses. If a customer has weak sales resistance, they are as good as gold in the branch. It's not personal banking and the theme is clear, how much can we get out of the customer today. Be prepared for a lot of call nights until 6 or 7pm and also be prepared to realize you are calling the same customers all the time most likely for the same products.

It's sad that every colleague is aware how much the CEO is going to be making after the upcoming IPO, how much senior management is taken care of (i.e. housing expense, astronomical salaries), and how little branch staff gets in return for all that we do. If it weren't for the branches badgering customers in the branch, outside the branch, and on the phone for sales and referrals, none of the well compensated back office/corporate staff would have jobs. People are quitting and are openly talking about applying to or interviewing for new jobs in ways similar to how people talk about planning a vacation. The turn over is shameful and it's has gone to the point in which people don't bother getting to know each other because it's a revolving door. The bank has created a poor reputation in regards to how it treats its colleagues and customers through out the industry amongst former or prospective customers and competing banks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Colleagues at Citizens.

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many different career opportunities in the Boston & Providence locations.

Cons

Different business lines operate in their own silo's.

Manage two levels down more often and you will identify opportunities to improve the bank and reduce attrition.

Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker  in  Malden, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Malden, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefit package, Community based company

Cons

Need to add more balance in co-workers social meeting or events

Keep up the good work, work on giving better raises/bonuses

Good management and competitive pay

Former Employee - Teller Manager  in  Quincy, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Teller Manager in Quincy, MA (US)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I always enjoyed the people I worked with. I was pretty satisfied with my pay and my time off.

Cons

I know some people who didn't have as good a relationship with their managers and coworkers as I did. It is also a very intense sales environment. You are expected to try and sell a product to every customer you help.

Frustrating and disappointing

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager II  in  Quincy, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager II in Quincy, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers for the most part, benefits package is decent. Expense reimbursement used to be nice...

Cons

Lo-tech, counter-productive, penny-pinchers who have no clear values or mission statement.

Stop hiring unqualified employees and you wouldn't need CEP

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Risk Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Risk Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have experienced stupendous professional growth in this firm. My managers have always been most supportive of my advancement, and promotions have been forthcoming appropriately.

Cons

With the upcoming IPO, things have been a bit hectic and rudderless. It seems like there is a goal to get all of the terrible ideas implemented before the IPO

It would be nice if we didn't change everything just for the sake of changing everything. It's frustrating that some of the changes have been implemented without much thought or input.

Good place to start, but have to move on to move up.

Former Employee - Personal Banker  in  Rochester, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Rochester, NH (US)

I worked at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good introduction to banking industry.
    Benefits/Salary are ok for not requiring much experience.
    Some opportunity to grow if you put in your own effort to really learn the product line and banking areas.

Cons

Limited potential for promotion in the retail banking sector.
    Pressure to sell banking products can sometimes lead to bad customer service.
    Working with unqualified/uninformed Bankers, sale people only.

It is all in who you know

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits, career opportunities for starting your career, coworkers are wonderful people

Cons

too tied to Royal Bank of Scotland - IPO coming, everything is about the bottom line.

Citizens Financial Group Photos

Worked for Citizens Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!