Claire's Stores

Updated 3 March 2015
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work at in general, but management does require more experience.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Horseheads, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Horseheads, NY (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The other employee's are great to work with and you get to meet a lot of unique people. Because Claire's is an international company, working there looks great on resume's. The work, while sometimes a lot, makes time go by faster. There are a lot of leadership opportunities as well. I'm a third key for one of the stores, which is part of the management team. Recently I have also been put in charge of our store's Celebrate program. Not only do I get to plan out celebrations for our staff and fun dress up days, I get to book parties in our store for customers who want to come in an hour before opening or after closing. I've also begun working on networking for our store by getting touch with other businesses' about promotions, displays and the like. Which again, looks amazing on resumes. Not to mention the interstore relations. If there is something at your store no one knows the answer to, you have access to dozens of other Claire's stores who will have an answer.

Cons

The only con's I can really think of is that for training, we were not given training hours. Instead, all of our training was done while assisting customers, meaning that it was broken up a lot and not all in order.

My advice to management would be to work on training hours, and that weather does have a huge impact on sales.

They don't pay you for the extra time it takes you to close ( you have to do the most bizarre detailed closing)

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

50% off employee discount and it's good if your store is small (not too much cleaning)

Cons

Closing takes too long.. Back room is always a mess

Atleast pay them for 45 minutes after closing not 30 minutes. No one can finish in 30 minutes

I worked at Claire's as a part time during college

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get the hang of things fairly quickly and are trained to pierce. They can be flexible with hours for those still in school. There are also opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The schedule is never consistent and people are in and out all the time. It can also get pretty repetitive at times so you need to be innovative and find things to keep you busy on slow days. Also, people want to bring their entire families when piercing a baby...be prepared.

Good starter retail job

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Putting a smile on little girls faces.
    Flexible scheduling
    Challenging job

Cons

Work by yourself a lot
    Long shifts when it's busy trying to run the store
    High turnover

Give your stores more hours to properly staff their stores

Great starter job

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company for entry level workers to gain experience for future careers.

Cons

POS systems severely out of date.

Alright to boost your resume for another job

Current Employee - Third Key
    Current Employee - Third Key

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good employee discount, and you're bound to find at least one person on your team that you like. Pay is better than some other jobs - not minimum wage.

Cons

Expected to do too much work in too little time, my store has 6 employees (45third key, 1 manager) and we only get 99 hours a week. So, minus the 40 my manager gets, that's only 49 hours to split between 5 people. Nearly impossible to take a week long vacation without getting written up because nobody wants to cover the shifts you usually take. Management sucks.

Stop playing the blame game. Third keys get crap from the SM for not having good enough sales (ads, put, $), because the DM blames the SM, and the RM blames the DM. It's a never-ending chain of blame. It's always someone's fault - it's obviously not that the average person doesn't intend to spend 18$ every time they come in (sarcasm). So stop blaming anyone that's below you, and start actually doing something about it. Actually care about your employees rather than being rude to them and telling them they need to do a better job without actually doing that better job. The goal average sale is 18$, and third keys constantly get crap when their ADS is below that. But then my DM came in to work an emergency shift, and she had a really low ADS. And then in part two of the blame game - if you're on register, low ADS is your fault bc you're the one ringing. If you're in the front, it's your fault for not getting people to buy more. They need to realize that kids don't usually come in packing 20's in their wallets.

Great first job

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Coworkers, space to grow, fun

Cons

Scheduling, short staff, not enough hours

Too much expected of one employee working a shift alone.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Friendly and fun environment where you get to interact with a lot of different types of people.

Cons

The company has a very high turnover. The company is so concerned with each store and employee going over their weekly hours, that it wasn't uncommon to work an entire shift by yourself. While being the only one working, you are expected to greet and help customers, pierce ears, ring up purchases, do returns and exchanges, help customers pick out products, accept delivery of shipment, open every box of shipment and sort it, try to get the new inventory out on the sales floor, maintain the store's clean and organized appearance, watch for theft, all while trying to upsell and reach an hourly sales goal. Being alone in a store in my opinion is putting employees at risk for danger.

overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

good discount, friendly staff, flexible hours

Cons

little pay, working alone, slow traffic

maybe pay more, so we will stay longer.

Claire's Stores Photos