Claire's Stores

Updated 29 October 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 40 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

First Retail Experience

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a small store, so it is easy to become familiar with all the products. The ear piercing was fun to do once I got over being nervous about the selling aspect of it. My manager worked with my school schedule really well and my hours were always good.

Cons

Not enough employees if you need to take a day off or switch with someone. There was a period of time where our district manager made us stay open 15 minutes later every night because the company wasn't doing well.

You shouldn't put all the blame on your employees, if the company is struggling then figure it out yourselves.

Fun, exciting place to work where you can learn a lot.

Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of young professionals that are excited about fashion and driving a business. Buyer level compensation is fair, assistant buyer compensation is lower than other retailers. As a buyer you travel frequently to New York and Asia (this can be a pro and a con depending on how you look at it).

Cons

Not a lot of career advancement for associate and buyer level. Only three director level jobs (career path for experienced buyer) and they are usually hired from outside of the company. Hard to create change within the organization.

A wonderful self building experience. Great company for individuals attending school.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing employee discount on all product offered. Great work experience as there is a lot to b done by individuals each and every shift. Even though it is a retail accessory store it is not commission based in any way! Small group of staff makes it easier to be friendly with one another, and have a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Only management receives full time hours for most stores. Bonuses are 100% based on sales goals for a 13 week period instead of monthly like many other companies, and is only given to ASM and SM's. (likewise inventory bonuses). The only way for team members to move up is if they either move for openings or if hire management leaves.

Fun place to work but very low pay!

Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% employee discount, great co-workers, piercing ears was always fun

Cons

Typically work alone in the store, meaning it was hard to get in a bathroom break if store was busy.
    POG - horrible!!! I hated planograms, not enough time to complete especially in between ringing up customers & piercing ears
    Very low pay!

I loved my job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun to pierce, easy to get promoted, easy to transfer within the system. You get a lot of hours because of the small staff, pays pretty poorly though - not meant to be a career, meant to be a job on the side.

Cons

Really pushy for up-selling, constantly getting the message that your store isn't doing well enough. There's a lot of work that though easy, becomes tedious because it takes so long since there's so much of it to do.

Take some of the blame sometimes - you always blame everything on the employees. You aren't perfect. Nobody is.

Great and knowledgeable team of people

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

People, leader in accessory business, giving at the local and global levels

Cons

Less open to new ideas and new processes

Claires SM

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to comprehend training for associates
    light workload
    easy to manage business

Cons

no values
    weak business analysis
    no leadership from DM's, RM's
    loss prevention takes priority over customer service

Store manager for 9 years

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lafayette, IN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the discount and ear piercing and having fun with customers and employees. Loved the experience.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. .. 1st several years was great but then got new district manager who for 1 makes promises that can't keep them 2 has favorites and discuss issues to others about others.. 3 work alone alot underpaid and never got appreciated for your hard work. Lots of unnecessary drama.4 lots of sign changes and tasks that with no payroll was all on you and was held accountable if not completed which is hard when only 1 person working is ridiculous. I got recruited to another company and when I told District manager she was like ok thanks for letting me know. Like seriously I was there for 9 years and didn't even ask me why I was leaving which shows you they don't care!!! Only recommend this job if u are young and don't have kids and no life...

If a district has a high turnover in ppl you might want to look into district manager.. Also maybe get more hours so ppl will stay.

Over-worked, under-paid, no work life balance

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job and you can gain retail experience if you don't already have any.

Cons

Compensation is about $10k less than what you'd make in another retail store. If you are looking for a work-life balance, this is not the place to look. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with pneumonia and was still made to come to work with a 103 temp and a doctors excuse because the RSM was coming. The work environment is anything but pleasant. You are constantly reminded to avoid having shoplifters, but they don't give enough payroll to staff the locations.

Be realistic with your expectations and your pay. How is a top producing store manager only paid $35k? How are they supposed to run a store with low payroll numbers?

Plays Favorites, Too Demanding For the Pay

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% Discount, Fun, Meet lots of great people, benefits package fair, vacation and personal hours awesome!

Cons

As a manager: no work/life balance-always expected to be "on-call", corporate doesn't respond to problems in a timely matter, district manager total moron, plays favorites, no time to do what is expected and then you are put down for not getting it done, h.r. department is a joke, have unrealistic goals to meet, no security cameras or mirrors and you are responsible for shrink (impossible in a busy store!), no payroll hours, too much paperwork, no team work

Have one-on-one meetings with store teammates-find out how your district managers are running the district. Training could be greatly improved!!