Claire's Stores

Updated 14 August 2014

2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved to hate this job.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Algonquin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Algonquin, IL (US)

Pros

benefits, healthcare was ppo BCBS which is great insurance and the price wasn't bad. I worked independently a lot which was both a pro and a con. Pay higher than average for our part time management (third keys) and theres often room for growth up to an assistant or store manager position.

Cons

Upper management (district, regional etc) was not very hands on, perhaps in the higher volume stores but I would go weeks without having a proper conversation with my dm, which changed several times during my employment.

District managers should train store managers directly. COmmunication needs improvement.

This is my second job, but first retail job and it's fun and fast pace.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tysons Corner, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA (US)

Pros

The employees are friendly and helpful to new workers. My manager is also pretty simple and easy to understand and get along with. Some customers are okay (only give you time to say hi), but a couple like your opinion and help finding items. Decent pay and easy closing routine for a minor at least. Fun work environment. If your a girl you can easily relate to some item in the store and enhance it to get it sold.

Cons

Long shifts are given to you regardless if you are a minor. My first shift was seven hours with no break. My second shift, my break was close to closing time. I become tired, weak and hungry after standing for 6 hours! Customers throw things everywhere, and it's your responsibility during "recovery". Aka clean every small thing in great detail or your leaving late or risking your employment. Also, long term wormers stay on you for "guesting", greeting every customer and informing them about promotions. But it's OK (manageable)

It's unfair to throw new workers in during a busy week. We won't get proper thorough, training, and this upsets customers and employees.

Great for Part-Time, Terrible for Full-Time

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

Awesome Store Discount (50% off) and you're always first to know when great sales are about to come up. It's a great starting point for someone who just needs a part-time position to get through High School or College. A very tight knit environment, I was friends with majority of the girls on staff. You get to learn how to pierce ears and I personally had a lot of return customers. The merchandise was cute, and working around kids is extremely fun. The benefits for Full-time positions are decent, they use to be amazing but they've dropped down to a different Insurance program. However, that's about all that's good about it.

Cons

Where to start?
    After being promoted to an Assistant Manager, you WILL get a "Manager Carrot" dangled in front of your nose to keep leading you around until you're so tired of "Oh, you'll get a store" that you stop caring about it at all. You'll be subjected to constant ridicule by Corporate and your DM no matter how much you try to please them. Signs will change nearly daily and if you happen to miss one little sign (out of the 30 they decided to have you change 30 minutes before you open), and your DM comes by, you'll get an ear-full. There's never enough hours to go around, and God forbid you get sick because you will very likely be by yourself for your entire eight hour shift without a break. 3rd keys (Part-time) are often put into situations that require Manager decisions, and they're expected to make those decisions with little to no help. Don't expect to ever make much money unless you're a store Manager, I personally have had LESS than a dollar raise in 3 years. Your raises will be based off of the store as a whole, so even if your numbers are phenomenal you will get barely anything (My "biggest" raise was .32 even though my number surpassed Company's)
    Too much is expected from our part-time girls, they barely make over minimum wage and they're expected to base their lives around this company, having many on-call shifts that are mostly not real shifts but are required by Company to be there. There's practically no hours that are given to the store to execute Planograms and floor-sets. We're expected to do about two days worth of work in twelve hours or less after the store is closed, oh and don't go over 40 hours as a Manager or an Assistant or Corporate will have your butt for it! You will be treated like the enemy, so don't try to go out of your way to do the "right" thing or else it might just backfire.

Start listening to your Store Managers and allow them to run their stores based on what's best. Realize that these people that work in your stores are just that; people. We do need time to execute these plans that you send and you need to give stores more hours so that your employees can meet your expectations. Pre-plan your sign changes and give them to the stores when they are complete so that we're not running around changing signs every day because you've changed your mind again. Promote the employees that want to be promoted, don't dangle empty promises in front of them because it gets old very fast.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Great discount, which helps, considering the jewelry will start to turn brown/green after a few times wearing it.

Cons

There is no real training and the district manager wants to micro-manage and play favorites. There is no expectation of uniformity throughout the district. The goals and expectations are usually highly unobtainable and the amount of work expected from one individual is impossible.

Having district managers that are very self-involved and critical does not help grow sales and strong leaders.

Optical Illusion

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

Pros

Discount.. can honestly say that is all.

Cons

Management is subpar.. told to bend over backwards for a subpar store and little to no benefits. Expected to exceed daily goals with little to no traffic in and out of mall.

Listen to current employees and take note of heavy theft.

Good company, terribly DM

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

I became a SM in a MD store. Very fun job if you jewelry. Lots of fun things to do. Good people, if you find them. Really not a bad place if your looking for something to do, there is always something to do.

Cons

The district manager does anything she want and if it's not her way she turns I to a child and get mad. She picks favorites, and is completely oblivious to things they are doing because they are her favorite stores. Also she thinks it's ok to cuss (yes F word and everything) you out if you don't do what SHE wants.

Stop favoring someone who clearly isn't doing their job.

Awesome customers,poor working conditions

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

50% discount!fun customers, personal days

Cons

Payroll,shrink,not enough coverage, too much paperwork

Visit the field, treat all stores equal when it comes to new merchandise

Great place to work if you don't mind the kids

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

They promote within and is often encouraged if performance is consistent.
    Great potential for Bonus during Christmas season. Employee discount is half off almost everything except piercing.

Cons

Difficult to maintain school and work schedule if in management. 80 percent of the time, work schedule is priority over requests again if in management. Sales associates have more flexbility in their schedule but is dependent on the black out periods. Unrealistic deadlines are set for Plano grams in high volume stores over and over again.

Monthly training or seminars would be great for managers to maintain company image.

Not a flexible Company to Work with

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Easy work/task, little supervision, don't have to work off of comission

Cons

Working every single weekend fri & sat, no exceptions, little pay, little room for growth

They Expect A lot for Very Little

Pros

Working with great people
    Great discount
    Easy dress code

Cons

Working alone frequently
    Piercing ears (no extra pay and you have to juggle other tasks during piercing)
    Management is very involved (there are pm visits and the DM often emails expecting response and sometimes use of texts to interact)
    No breaks (good luck if you are a human being who occasionally eats or pees)
    Monthly planogram changes/markdowns/ect
    Busy work
    Customers/normal retail gripes

Don't expect so much from us. Let us have five minutes of downtime! Also, let us have some incentive for piercing...like putting out a tip jar or even giving us an additional discount on top of our employee discount. ANYTHING
    Also, if you combined icing and claires you could keep the same staff, save on retail space costs, and not have us on single coverage so often/have lower shrink
    Just my opinion...

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!