Claire's Stores

Updated 22 November 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 40 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Over-worked, under-paid, no work life balance

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job and you can gain retail experience if you don't already have any.

Cons

Compensation is about $10k less than what you'd make in another retail store. If you are looking for a work-life balance, this is not the place to look. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with pneumonia and was still made to come to work with a 103 temp and a doctors excuse because the RSM was coming. The work environment is anything but pleasant. You are constantly reminded to avoid having shoplifters, but they don't give enough payroll to staff the locations.

Be realistic with your expectations and your pay. How is a top producing store manager only paid $35k? How are they supposed to run a store with low payroll numbers?

It was very stressful and exhausting.

Former Employee - Third Key in Christiansburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Christiansburg, VA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are able to act silly on the job and had 50 percent off on all merchandise.

Cons

Most of the time you will be the only one in the store.

When someone follows company policy, they should not get a "talking" to. If it's policy then back it up management!

Plays Favorites, Too Demanding For the Pay

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% Discount, Fun, Meet lots of great people, benefits package fair, vacation and personal hours awesome!

Cons

As a manager: no work/life balance-always expected to be "on-call", corporate doesn't respond to problems in a timely matter, district manager total moron, plays favorites, no time to do what is expected and then you are put down for not getting it done, h.r. department is a joke, have unrealistic goals to meet, no security cameras or mirrors and you are responsible for shrink (impossible in a busy store!), no payroll hours, too much paperwork, no team work

Have one-on-one meetings with store teammates-find out how your district managers are running the district. Training could be greatly improved!!

Good for a young person starting in management. Good work/life balance for a retail management position.

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Average growth potential. Promote from within. Great discount. Fun atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of support from corporate. High expectations with nothing provided to achieve them. You work by yourself most of the time. Can't leave the store during that time. No break room (microwave or fridge) provided. Have to deal with disrespectful kids a LOT. Materials needed for events required by the company are not provided.

You have to spend money to make money

Loved the job, but hated the pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice discounts
    nice room for promotion
    customers are fun

Cons

working with tons of tiny items
    unstable managers
    district managers were forceful at making leads travel to different stores, with no extra pay, or compensation on gas.
    managers dont work that much and leave it all to assistants
    managers can be gone for hours on end on breaks

depending on managers, they all were aways so different.
    Dont force employes to buy products and wear them if they do not like a specific product.
    I understand wearing something to inspire customers, but if its something i dont like wearing, like hats, its a waste of my money.

Managers need to be more like managers, train managers properly. Most of them are very lazy.

Upgrade the system ! Everything is pen and paper, and using calculator and a lot of hand written things. Never have I ever worked for a shop where everything is written down so much ! From daily goals, to schedules, ext ect.

A competitive pay rate would also be nice. I can not work in a high income state, and make min wage as a asst manager. you only seem to somewhat make money if you are a manager, if you are not then you are out of luck and need at least another job to survive. Bonuses are a joke at this company, and no benefits.

Good company to work for, a little behind the times, very money focused.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount. Generally co-workers are fun and easy going. Flexible schedule. If you have a good district manager and store manager, it's a ton of fun.

Cons

Company requires lots of tasking. Benefits are OK. Low starting rate, even for very experienced employees. They are very "customer" focused but in reality it's about making the money. With the large amount of tasking required it's difficult to balance the customer/ tasking ratio. Payroll allocation is not very good, even in the high volume stores. 1:1 coverage in most stores on weekdays and very few opportunities to get decent hours due to lack of payroll hours allowed. Very high turn-over rate. In high volume stores lots of stress and many people put in LOTS of time off of the clock. Strict visual merchandising with very little room to "make it work." Claire's has lots of very different store styles and sizes which don't always allow for the Planogram to look like it should. If you try and fix things to your stores particular style a lot of the time you are reprimanded, unless you have an awesome DM. Merchandise distribution is a bit off and there are often issues with stores over/under receiving merchandise. Not directly related to the company, the customers that generally shop at Claire's are rude and the teens/tweens totally destroy they store and show little to no respect to the employee. There are also no tipping for outstanding customer service with ear piercings.

Higher pay to make all the work worth it. Allow more store level flexibility in order to make the store look nice and run well. We aren't stupid and can figure out how to solve a visual problem.

Love & Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

40 hour week, as a store manager you get paid overtime if you work over 40 hours, Fun environment, upper management paid well, company values, vacation time, sick time & personal time, most holidays off.

Cons

High volume=low payroll, 40 hr wk, because you get paid overtime if you work more than 40 hr, if you are busy with customers then you can't stay to work more to finish tasks, unless you are off the clock which is a no no.......

give your store more payroll, I know if had more time to schedule more overlapping coverage besides the weekends, then we wouldn't fall behind so easily.

Fast-paced and Fun Retail Atmosphere

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tupelo, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tupelo, MS (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All of my co-workers were like one big family, for inexperienced associates the pay was better than minimum wage, as long as we requested off enough in advance the time was granted, nice employee discount, good communication built between store associates and district manager

Cons

The store gets very busy at time while being the only one working, the inventory scheduling as well as some planograms went over-night for the asm and sm, a lot of shoplifting, piercing ears of kids who do not want their ears pierced is awful, the pos system frequently was frozen and we were ordering new hardware (printer, credit card machine, etc..) every other week, and as asm I would would some 8 hour shifts alone with no relief for a break

The scheduling could be approved all around. There were not enough hours given to schedule efficiently. I would find myself staying over-night working on plan-on-gram, mark-downs, and inventory. Sometimes to keep from going over on the clock, but in order to get things done the manager and I would stay on our own time off the clock so that we could get things done that we couldn't during the day due to customer traffic. We were also not given enough hours to schedule breaks for those working 8+ hour shifts. I would sometimes work a 12 hour shift without a break due to the few employees we had there since we were limited on hires.

Claire's is a fun environment to work in but it gets tiring after a while.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best things you acquire from Claire's is maturity and personal growth due to all of the responsibilities they leave you with. Starting pay for a third key holder was a bit above average and the employee discount is great!

Cons

District managers aren't the best, very demanding but not very helpful. Although starting pay is good, raises for hard work aren't really given. The amount of vacation time given to the employees who are not managers sucks.Corporate does so many promo changes too frequently and it becomes stressful for employees.

With the amount of responsibility each employee has I believe that raises should be given every so often to all employees who show good progress.

Decent Company

Former Employee - Third Key in Conroe, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Conroe, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good first job
    Meeting different types of people
    Having co-workers around your age
    Decent hours

Cons

Not enough pay
    Closing by yourself
    No benefits

Listen to our helpful advice we may not know everything but we have a better idea of what the customer wants that you may have