Claire's Stores Reviews

Updated 15 April 2015
393 reviews filtered by

1. overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

good discount, friendly staff, flexible hours

Cons

little pay, working alone, slow traffic

Advice to Management

maybe pay more, so we will stay longer.

2. About what you expect for a minimum wage job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start out in retail. The work itself is not difficult, with the excepetion of ear piercing.

Cons

Management was always a total wreck. Never had the store together, had favorite employees they partied with, etc.This is obviously a location by location issue, but as I also worked for the sister company Icing, the issues were much the same. Young managers caring more about their personal life than the store they managed. Not much room for advancement within the store.
    I believe employees should be better trained for piercing ears. While I picked it up quickly, we had many poor piercers come through.

3. Great Company with lots of room to advance.

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, vacation time, sick time, maternity leave, and 401K.
    There are many opportunities to advance at the store level. As a Store Manager, I quickly went from SM, to SM Trainer, to Acting District Manager, to District Manager.

Cons

You have a very limited staff, which makes it difficult to take vacation and personal time. Also, due to the limited payroll hours you are given, many times your store will be left with one person running it. This makes it difficult to balance freight, customer service, and store presentations. As a district manager, it is challenging to follow up on tasks given to stores, in such a high pressure market. Unless you are very well liked by corporate, in certain situations you could find yourself in hot water.

5. look elsewhere

Current Employee - Third Key in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Third Key in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, upbeat environment, huge employee discount, loose dress code

Cons

Little to no training, working all holidays, extreme scheduling inconsistencies, no guaranteed hours outside of upper management, lack of communication, understaffed at all times

6. Perfect first job, and great for experience!!

Current Employee - Third Key in Kennewick, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Third Key in Kennewick, WA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Claire's is the first job I've had and its where I learned my retail servicing. You learn everything; cashiering, customer service, stocking, and even ear piercing. Within the year that I have worked there, I was promoted from a regular sale associate, to a key holder. I've learned how to open and close a store, and I'm having a great time doing it! As long as you have a good team, things are fun and easy. Teamwork is key there! With this experience, I could be an assistant manager either here, and/or at another retail store.

Cons

Hours, sometimes co-workers, piercing babies, and lack of backspin space. (Nothing bad really)

Advice to Management

Have the power to be able to fire an employee for stealing product, and doing a bunch of other lazy and bad things!

7. Fun first job!

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Really fun and nice coworkers

Cons

They don't give you enough hours sometimes

Tired of being ignored!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Get to meet new people, Have a laugh with the security staff and get on better with them than the actual staff!

Cons

I was supposed to be trained up to be a 3rd key but I havent even started it!!!! I havent even been fully trained to be a piercer... Rotas are always changed... My old manager went to another store and now I have a new manager in but she has only been there for a short days which isnt her fault due to personal problems. I work with a member of staff that could be bothered and Im getting tired of being told how to dress, have my make up and hair!!! I know first impressions count but when you are completely changing a persons image to suit yours then Its a joke!!! I use to feel really amazing when working at my store... I now want to leave and I dread going in cause I always get told off for wearing something wrong (Even though I follow the "uniform" Guidelines!!!) This place is really making me depressed!!! Im just building up the courage to hand in my notice cause I will be completely unemployed but I would rather be unemployed again than have myself destroyed in more ways than one!

Advice to Management

Start to really investigate your smaller stores as we are the one being neglected!!!

9. Helpful to start learning retail, decent experience

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Learning how to open/close, doing paperwork in store, getting customer service experience

Cons

You really feel the corporate experience of the job and it becomes tedious at times

Advice to Management

Low pay and not much career advancement, relax on the corporate standards

10. Disappointing and Discouraging

Current Employee - Merchandising in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandising in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good resume builder: it will get your foot in the door in terms of necessary buying experience.

Cons

-Poor management
    -The company does not provide a clear pathway for career growth
    -Questionable ethics
    -Resistant to change and new perspectives
    -Hostile work environment
    -Promotions not based on performance
    -The company drags its feet on decision making. There are a lot of meetings about meetings with no real actions taken
    -Complete disconnect from various support teams - Buying team is not on the same page as Marketing, Logistics, Ecom, Visual Merchandising, etc...
    -Complete loss in focus on current market trends

Advice to Management

This is advice to both the Claire's and Icing Teams.

This company is moving backwards. Focus is misplaced and the hostile work environment is preventing real growth and change. Stop worrying about the latest work gossip and start focusing on your businesses. Develop your people - you are only as good as your team. Stop feeling threatened and encourage new ideas to be shared!

Senior management needs to stop micro-managing their teams, trust that your buyers know what they are doing. A good buyer buys for their customers, and does not cater to their own tastes or preferences.

Come up with a clear standard for your employees who are looking to grow their careers. An employee should be held to the same standard as their peer in different divisions. This is bordering on discriminatory behavior.

Store employees are overworked and underpaid and cannot be expected to execute all daily tasks or responsibilities, while still managing the floor and assisting customers when there is only 1 person staffed for the day. This is also concerning in regards to OSHA compliance.

11. No support for staff !!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good staff discount
    Great customer interaction

Cons

No support from Dsm or management
     Lone trading for 12 hours on my own
    Treated badly
     Not enough pay !

Advice to Management

Please look after your staff !
     After spending over 7 years of my life working for your company I was treated like dirt, no respect for your staff

Claire's Stores Photos