Claire's Stores

Updated 19 October 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 39 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 34 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Too much pressure, too little pay.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

The job duties are relatively simple, flexible hours, and there is a great store discount. A decent job if you're putting yourself through college, but not for an actual career.

Cons

Though the tasks are easy to do, there are so many that it becomes hard to keep up, especially if the team is slacking, the pay isn't enough for how much pressure is put on you, you're almost always working alone, and upper management is horrible.

Claire's breaks down individual and store sales by time increments. Because of this, one can see how often an employee has or has not been working on a register. The tool allows for district and regional managers to see who is truly working. They really need to look closely at these numbers. I worked at two locations where the store managers stayed on the clock, but were out shopping for any where up to three hours. The paperwork showed that they had no sales for these time spans, and nothing ever came of it. Simply put, they need to pay close attention.

Crappy Company

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a good place to start in retail, you meet great people, and its a fun environment.

Cons

Poor management. Too much pressure to push for sales when there's not enough business (depending on location) Crappy pay. Everything they train you on is rushed. You are often left alone to run the store so you have to act as a manager and take on all the responsibilities. Too many shoplifting incidents. Very disorganized management.

Take some time to train your employees without rushing. Increase the pay for everything the employees have to deal with.

Ok place to work

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

They paid well, pd for over time hour.

Cons

push push push, there are only so many things you can add at the cash wrap

I loved to hate this job.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Algonquin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Algonquin, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, healthcare was ppo BCBS which is great insurance and the price wasn't bad. I worked independently a lot which was both a pro and a con. Pay higher than average for our part time management (third keys) and theres often room for growth up to an assistant or store manager position.

Cons

Upper management (district, regional etc) was not very hands on, perhaps in the higher volume stores but I would go weeks without having a proper conversation with my dm, which changed several times during my employment.

District managers should train store managers directly. COmmunication needs improvement.

This is my second job, but first retail job and it's fun and fast pace.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are friendly and helpful to new workers. My manager is also pretty simple and easy to understand and get along with. Some customers are okay (only give you time to say hi), but a couple like your opinion and help finding items. Decent pay and easy closing routine for a minor at least. Fun work environment. If your a girl you can easily relate to some item in the store and enhance it to get it sold.

Cons

Long shifts are given to you regardless if you are a minor. My first shift was seven hours with no break. My second shift, my break was close to closing time. I become tired, weak and hungry after standing for 6 hours! Customers throw things everywhere, and it's your responsibility during "recovery". Aka clean every small thing in great detail or your leaving late or risking your employment. Also, long term wormers stay on you for "guesting", greeting every customer and informing them about promotions. But it's OK (manageable)

It's unfair to throw new workers in during a busy week. We won't get proper thorough, training, and this upsets customers and employees.

The worst job i've ever had

Current Employee - Third Key Holder
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

50% off but even then its overpriced low quality acccessories

Cons

Theres no training. At all. And you're expected to pierce ears (babies and young children included). No incentive to pierce. Ridiculous deadlines for planograms, markdowns. Closing is a real pain. Lots of paperwork and make sure not to take longer than the allocated time (which is hard when you're not getting any training), you won't get paid for the extra time. They give you on calls shifts (good luck making plans). DM are bullies, they will show up anytime and will expect you to suck up to them . . If you don't you can be sure she'll tell your manager. They have fabourites, if you're not one of them anything you do won't be good enough. Store is understaffed (it seems they can't retain their employees for some reasons) and the workload is way too high considering the barely above minimum wage. Not enough payroll, they will cut your hours. Or give you too much when an employee leaves (which happens frequently). High employee turnover. Low standards. They will hire you as a keyholder as long as you're over 18. They want you to stalk and harass customers constantly into buying while they're shopping. Yet again, no incentives. The company is so unorganized, the list goes on and on.

Too much drama and no management in sight

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a good job to get your foot in the door in regards to retail. They teach you to up sell, make customers relations and actually work for your sales. When you work hard it actually shows and you can take pride in that.

Cons

Was pretty much told that I can be replaced at anytime but someone younger, cuter and would take less pay. The mangers (regional and store) couldn't care less about in store problems. Such as assistant managers acting the part of managers, stealing sales from other associates sales, gossip, harassment (both sexual and mental).

My suggestion to management would be to listen to your employees when they come to you in confidence with a situation. Not to tell them to get over it and do your job.

Retail is Retail

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is always changing, you're always getting new customers so theres always new people

Cons

The amount of work they expect based off the pay is horrible, Your store manager and DM don't care about you much.

The worst place I have ever worked in my life

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other managers were just awesome people. SO helpful and thank God because the DM does NOTHING. She tells you to call them if you have a question. God forbid she has to actually do her job and help a new manager, or anyone for that matter,

Cons

No breaks and if you dare have even one speck of food out by the cash wrap because you have been there for going on 6 hours with no bathroom break, no lunch break...nothing, you will be chastised and threatened that you can loose your job. Expected to eat on a closet with a toilet attached and hope to God no one comes into your store and steals from you. Couldn't close the door to pee even. Had to watch mirrors FROM THE TOILET!!!! Amazing right? The DM micro manages everyone, pits them against each other, calls people "weird" and "dumb" and "I don't like them" and some of them she had never even met. Said "I cant stand your crew and I hate your store" Comes in and makes a mess of the store then blames management on this or who ever the poor associate is that is working at the time. Had to pay for my own toilet paper and photo copy paper because when it didnt come in shipment, the DM wanted proof I ordered it, Really no...so that was her concern? Not that I was paying for it myself.

She never came to pick up damages in my closet of a back room aka the bathroom. Told me my store did not matter in the great scheme of things because it was not her show case store. SO if I needed anything fixed, it may just take a while. My training was a joke. 3 whole days with an awesome manager that did her very best to help me even after I was just thrown into the management position. Yes, only 3 days training people and I was given a store to run! WOW. The DM "maybe" spent a whole 3 hours with me after this actually helping, the rest was her making me feel horrible about my lack of knowledge, even laughing at the way the wall looked. When I asked what she was laughing and, her response was, "Oh nothing, you're just new" Yeah, that was helpful NOT!

She ran off all of my staff so in the end I was totally screwed so...I walked out. I have never in my life done such an thing and felt so justified. It was horrible, I cant even believe Katy Perry sells her exclusive line of products there. Someone really needs to enlighten her PR department abotu how badly the employees are actually treated at Claires. People are scared to even speak up because regardless, its a job and we all need one. To feel like you could loose your job because you have to eat and don't get a break sometimes ever btw, is just too much stress and aggravation And the constant pitting people against each other is just insane. Drama...the DM was just drama. .

Too bad. I was so excited when I got this job because I had been a customer for YEARS. Got my daughters ears pierced there too which by the way is another issue! I was never properly trained for that either!!!!!! SO think twice before getting you childs piercing done there! Plus, with the coverage of one person, imagine trying to pierce an infant or toddlers ears "right" with a store full of people!!!! Imagine trying not to get ripped off in the process as well!!!

Upper management needs to actually read and care when a store manager contacts them, which I did and they only tried to contact me once. We missed each other and I tried to respond and after that was ignored. They need to actually have some kind of resource to make sure their DMs are really working and being helpful. Not passing their duties off on the other store managers. I worked for a store that the home office called us all and asked us to rate our DM. CLAIRES YOU NEED THIS BADLY!!!!! Maybe not all were as bad as this one but in the long run, why is it management has an accountability system but the DMs who drive company cars and even refuse to pay mileage by the way when you need to pick product up from another store....why do they not? It makes for the most hostile scary work environment ever because managers are stuck with no one to go to when they are mistreated. Corporate needs to watch their DMS just as close as the numbers they so love to make sure we meet and maybe they would get better results!!!!!

"For the amount of work you do, you don't get paid much."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked at Claire's for a year and a half. I started as a sales associate then I got promoted to key holder. The discount is good, and that's about it.

Cons

Low pay, bad management. If you want to work here then prepare to do all the work while the managers do nothing.