Claire's Stores

www.clairestores.com
Profile Unclaimed

Very fast paced , always something to do

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Vacation pay as a key holder , raise every 3 months , employee discount 50%

Cons

store manager take advantage
    customers rude
    more training on ear piercings

stop promoting people just because they are needed and promote if they can make a difference

The job is what you make it

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love been able to dress up as express myself. Pretty good 50% discount. Some good contests to keep team motivated

Cons

The challenges here are your dsm want you to produce miracles on average of 125 allocated hours for a high volume store ... ATTENTION -this is very hard to with do certain tasks plus send emails, deliver customer service, do Ear piercings, ring and have eyes in the back of your head. You guys want of all of this with 1 on 1 coverage. You're alone most of the time.. the job is very tedious a lot of little pieces for you to push out and make the store look good.

To have a store managers to actually be salaried and that way you can have extra person to use those hours and keep store online and be productive with training and recruitment. I feel sm shouldn't be selling on the floor.

Tired of being ignored!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Get to meet new people, Have a laugh with the security staff and get on better with them than the actual staff!

Cons

I was supposed to be trained up to be a 3rd key but I havent even started it!!!! I havent even been fully trained to be a piercer... Rotas are always changed... My old manager went to another store and now I have a new manager in but she has only been there for a short days which isnt her fault due to personal problems. I work with a member of staff that could be bothered and Im getting tired of being told how to dress, have my make up and hair!!! I know first impressions count but when you are completely changing a persons image to suit yours then Its a joke!!! I use to feel really amazing when working at my store... I now want to leave and I dread going in cause I always get told off for wearing something wrong (Even though I follow the "uniform" Guidelines!!!) This place is really making me depressed!!! Im just building up the courage to hand in my notice cause I will be completely unemployed but I would rather be unemployed again than have myself destroyed in more ways than one!

Start to really investigate your smaller stores as we are the one being neglected!!!

Loved working here

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros, great first time job, gave me a lot of sales experiences

Cons

Meeting sales goals if you are shy, helped me overcome my shyness too.

Fun, exciting company to work for. Every day is different and new! Fun, energetic environment!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers, making memories for little girls, cute products, evolving company.

Cons

Low pay, poor communication from corporate. Requires a high amount of flexibility and dedication for low compensation.

You need passion in order to survive

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

DM is very personable
    Growth and advancement
    Incorporate own style into everything

Cons

Completion of POGs in time frame
    Unrealistic expectations at times

Allow Overtime

Pretty good

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Free goodie boxes and stuff

Cons

No upward movement and stuff

Promote peiple

Disappointing and Discouraging

Current Employee - Merchandising in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandising in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good resume builder: it will get your foot in the door in terms of necessary buying experience.

Cons

-Poor management
    -The company does not provide a clear pathway for career growth
    -Questionable ethics
    -Resistant to change and new perspectives
    -Hostile work environment
    -Promotions not based on performance
    -The company drags its feet on decision making. There are a lot of meetings about meetings with no real actions taken
    -Complete disconnect from various support teams - Buying team is not on the same page as Marketing, Logistics, Ecom, Visual Merchandising, etc...
    -Complete loss in focus on current market trends

This is advice to both the Claire's and Icing Teams.

This company is moving backwards. Focus is misplaced and the hostile work environment is preventing real growth and change. Stop worrying about the latest work gossip and start focusing on your businesses. Develop your people - you are only as good as your team. Stop feeling threatened and encourage new ideas to be shared!

Senior management needs to stop micro-managing their teams, trust that your buyers know what they are doing. A good buyer buys for their customers, and does not cater to their own tastes or preferences.

Come up with a clear standard for your employees who are looking to grow their careers. An employee should be held to the same standard as their peer in different divisions. This is bordering on discriminatory behavior.

Store employees are overworked and underpaid and cannot be expected to execute all daily tasks or responsibilities, while still managing the floor and assisting customers when there is only 1 person staffed for the day. This is also concerning in regards to OSHA compliance.

No support for staff !!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good staff discount
    Great customer interaction

Cons

No support from Dsm or management
     Lone trading for 12 hours on my own
    Treated badly
     Not enough pay !

Please look after your staff !
     After spending over 7 years of my life working for your company I was treated like dirt, no respect for your staff

Unappreciated

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great customers, love the kids. Great discount at both Claire's and Icing. DM is the best manager I ever had, she cares about her whole team, unlike those above her. My team is great.

Cons

Upper management (above DM). High expectations, large workload with unrealistic time lines and little payroll to get it all done in. Corporate visits are very fake. Territory VP doesn't say a word to me or my staff and we bust our butts every day in our store. Whirlwind visits of moving fixtures, leaving a mile long list aND then leaving without talking about business, numbers or as much as even a THANK YOU for all your hard work. Unappreciated, insulted and underpaid.

Don't "talk" about how much you appreciate stores and then when you visit them you destroy their self confidence by how rude and condescending you can be. Take more time to develop staff and say "What can I do for you" instead of telling us what you need us to do for you.

Claire's Stores Photos