Claire's Stores Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014

2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

No opportunities

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Nice people, nice enviroment, good SMT

Cons

No training, no career prospects

Fun but not a life decision

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount. Fun staff. Happy atmosphere. Ear piercings. Celebrate parties. Working with all types of people every day.

Cons

Working alone for as long as 8 hours. Not always getting clear direction from upper management. Company expecting everything to be the same not taking into account different shapes, volumes, sizes, and demographic of stores.

Pay your people. If you expect us to work always alone, with a huge list of tasks, and customer service, and sales....and only give us the bare minimum of allocated hours to do so, pay us more. I was given a 16 cent raise after turning my store from a total hole to one people come to for a reason. And I can't hire more people because then I'll have 5 hours to give each employee and who wants to stay with a company that only pays them 5 hours a week?

Save money on all that unnecessary marketing, go electronic with CNNs, and stop sending us moldy merchandise to later destroy and pay your people what they deserve. If you pay us more, our quality of work will improve.

if you have to work retail don't work here

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Nyack, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Nyack, NY (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay if you've never had work experience
    flexible hours
    half off everything in the store

Cons

screaming babies from ear piercings
    bad management
    kids running through the store all the time
    putting back the items on the shelf (it's like where's waldo except worse)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Third key

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meeting new people
    Enjoyed the team members
    Helping others
    Opportunity for promotions

Cons

In the store alone for long periods of time
    Low pay

It was a fun job with a great discount and fun environment, but management wasn't always the best.

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Knoxville, TN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

50% Employee Discount, Fun Dress Up Days, Accountability, Dress Up Days, Specialty, Fashion Forward

Cons

Working Alone, Some Management was not educated, Too much drama, not promoting from within, store management not having a great work-life balance

Keep the drama at home! Learn how to hire the correct people for the positions. Also, learn to promote from WITHIN! AND DON'T PROMOTE JUST FRIENDS FOR DM POSITIONS! A lot of the store managers that deserve promotions, you just keep them hanging around, telling them they're fit for DM positions/training positions and then filling it with other people......not ok!

Don't get your ears pierced here...

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Destin, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

none whatsoever. It's a horrible work environment.

Cons

Your insurance sucks. You pay by salary. Employees working alone with no assistance. I'm trying tofigure out how Claire's stays in business.

Don't give everyone 18+ a set of keys to the store. Raise your level of shrink. 30% loss of yearly profits shows that you know every tween/teen steals from you. ACTUALLY TRAIN YOUR PIERCERS!!! 2 videos and adult sized practice ears sure HELL doesn't properly train you for a 6 month old BABY. Figure out some other way to organize your backrooms. Tupperware bins ain't working people

Don't work here!!

Current Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

you get a pretty good discount of 50 percent off everything including clearance except when 10 for 10 is on and most of the time if you need a day off for an appointment or something theyll give it off

Cons

management is a joke. i worked there for 6 months and we went through 3 store managers, 2 assistant managers and several sales people/ third keys left too. i ended up having to work50-60 hours a week and then they finally hired a couple people and my hours were put down to like 15. the DM for calgary is really rude and demanding and she will change her mind about floor plans like 10 times and then get mad at you when you havent finished it because she keeps making you restart halfway through. she also tends to only hire store managers that she knows outside of work and she gossips with them and will go for smoke breaks constantly but then yell at you when you go to get a drink quickly. breaks are quite often a joke as well. you get a half hour if you work 5 hours or more which is fine except that the way they schedule you often have to go like an hour before the end of your shift if youre opening or like as soon as you get there basically if youre closing and half the time you dont even get it and no one seems to care. schedules are also supposed to be posted 2 weeks in advance but often arent even made until the day before. you are expected to get through at least like 3 to 5 huge boxes of earrings and things in just a few hours which is impossible with customers and ear piercings constantly walking into the store. birthday parties are a joke the one that i did the girl was like 12 and was way too old for it and was just miserable the whole time. and they barely give you any training on doing ear piercings. you just watch a dvd do a couple on a foam ear and then they let go right ahead on customers. dont ever get pierced at or work for claires.

the whole upper management needs to be replaced. you need people that care about thier employees and understand that we arent capable of doing 15 peoples work between like 3 people.

Claire's Wants You. . . To Work For Nothing! !

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The closeness of the staff is amazing. Your store and district become like a second family. At least mine is. We all look out for each other, give advice, and share ideas to better ourselves and our stores.

Cons

Claire's seriously pays their employees the bare minimum..all the other companies I have looked at pay their ASMs more than what I'm making, its ridiculous. Your job responsibilities outweigh your pay grade. They expect you to do miracles with no payroll and then flip when it's not done. Recently we changed health insurance companies and it's more expensive however our pays are not going to compensate the increase...so now I'm actually losing money to bust my butt. Corporate's realty on what goes on and what it's like to work in a store is seriously skewed.

This is mainly for RSMs and up: Before you decide how we should run our stores, actually work in one. You people have no idea what we actually have to deal with. If you want us to deliver the great wall of China, you better be willing to compensate us..for crying out loud your a multi-billion dollar company..pay us like you care about us like you say you do.

Underappreciated

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Paid time and a half for working over 40 hours a week, 5 personal days a year, 50% discount, currently improving training tools, etc.

Cons

They want to hire whoever will work for the least amount of money, poor communication, alone most shifts, sometimes no break, too high of expectations of employees, stopped contributing to 401ks, no work and personal life balance, poor training, would rather hire from outside than promote from within.

Show appreciation of employees, more hours for tasks to balance customer service, higher pay for key holders for better retention, focus on the growth of your employees.

You're a replaceable cog in the machine.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Most customers are pleasant, but it is a retail environment where respect is still a foreign term. Promotion happens from within whenever possible.
    - Ear piercing can be very rewarding because customers are happy 99.9% of the time with the results.
    - Employee discount is good, but keep in mind, that is part of your pay you are giving back to your employer.
    - Bonuses can be good, but it is all based on increasing profit.

Cons

- Working alone for 8 hours (or more) a day without breaks. It is against company policy to sit down, even when customers are not present in the store. This is the main reason for the 1 Star Culture & Values.
    - Ear piercing usually takes at least 5-10 minutes (can be much longer with scared/fussy children,) and it was at times very difficult to keep all customers happy while alone and trying to juggle ringing waiting customers and finishing an ear piercing.
    - Based on the current economy, competition rising in clothing stores, and your location, you may be looking at some quite impossible goals.
    - There is no longer a window cleaning service for either indoor and outdoor stores, and employees are now expected to do this during sales hours.

Take a long, hard look at your treatment of your employees. If they are happy and healthy, they can better sell your products, and they will respect you much more. No one should ever have to go without a regular break on a full shift. No one should ever be considered expendable, even the teens and college students who aren't in it for the long term. By exposing your treatment of your retail staff to them, they could end up being the future corporate employees you never knew you turned away.

Your competitors have expanded to clothing and big box stores. My superior never took my words to heart when I said this, but when your Q4 Fiscal 2013 report becomes public, officials are spouting exactly what I was saying. Get better market researchers and buyers, expand your horizons. It is not the 1990s anymore.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!