Claire's Stores

Updated 29 January 2015
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for developing experience

Former Employee - Third Key in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun products and good employee discount. I had so many responsibilities in this job that it helped me in getting an even better position in another company with a higher pay.

Cons

Upper management is extremely critical. If you're hired as a 3rd key you have all the manager's responsibilities but none of the benefits. It's also hard to move up in the company. There is also a lot of theft so you have to do loss prevention as well. It was quite stressful working there but the real reason I left was because it didn't matter how hard I worked it never was appreciated by upper management.

Be more generous with your employees and offer them a better bonus. Also, it kills morale when the DM leaves angry voice mails for the entire district. If 8 out of 10 stores didn't pass their secret shops do you really think that leaving everyone a mean voicemail is going to inspire them to do better? If you treat your employees as equals rather than lording it over them you will probably have better output from them.

First Retail Experience

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Mason, OH (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a small store, so it is easy to become familiar with all the products. The ear piercing was fun to do once I got over being nervous about the selling aspect of it. My manager worked with my school schedule really well and my hours were always good.

Cons

Not enough employees if you need to take a day off or switch with someone. There was a period of time where our district manager made us stay open 15 minutes later every night because the company wasn't doing well.

You shouldn't put all the blame on your employees, if the company is struggling then figure it out yourselves.

Fun, exciting place to work where you can learn a lot.

Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Buyer in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of young professionals that are excited about fashion and driving a business. Buyer level compensation is fair, assistant buyer compensation is lower than other retailers. As a buyer you travel frequently to New York and Asia (this can be a pro and a con depending on how you look at it).

Cons

Not a lot of career advancement for associate and buyer level. Only three director level jobs (career path for experienced buyer) and they are usually hired from outside of the company. Hard to create change within the organization.

A wonderful self building experience. Great company for individuals attending school.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing employee discount on all product offered. Great work experience as there is a lot to b done by individuals each and every shift. Even though it is a retail accessory store it is not commission based in any way! Small group of staff makes it easier to be friendly with one another, and have a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Only management receives full time hours for most stores. Bonuses are 100% based on sales goals for a 13 week period instead of monthly like many other companies, and is only given to ASM and SM's. (likewise inventory bonuses). The only way for team members to move up is if they either move for openings or if hire management leaves.

Fun place to work but very low pay!

Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

50% employee discount, great co-workers, piercing ears was always fun

Cons

Typically work alone in the store, meaning it was hard to get in a bathroom break if store was busy.
    POG - horrible!!! I hated planograms, not enough time to complete especially in between ringing up customers & piercing ears
    Very low pay!

I loved my job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun to pierce, easy to get promoted, easy to transfer within the system. You get a lot of hours because of the small staff, pays pretty poorly though - not meant to be a career, meant to be a job on the side.

Cons

Really pushy for up-selling, constantly getting the message that your store isn't doing well enough. There's a lot of work that though easy, becomes tedious because it takes so long since there's so much of it to do.

Take some of the blame sometimes - you always blame everything on the employees. You aren't perfect. Nobody is.

It wasn't my favorite

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Setauket, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Setauket, NY (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores.

Cons

The people I worked with were cliquey and rude to me and to the customers. We didn't have a lot of direction and they always made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

Give employees tasks instead of just having them stand there

Great and knowledgeable team of people

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

People, leader in accessory business, giving at the local and global levels

Cons

Less open to new ideas and new processes

It was Sucky.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50 % off employee discount was good. It's the most I have ever gotten before. And the dress code is fun.

Cons

I hated the management. The amount of sign changes are ridiculous. Way too many. Soo much tedious product. Just no.

I can't ever walk into a Claire's again

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount, opportunity for growth (in store only), fun merchandise, fast paced, never bored

Cons

Low payroll so mostly one on one coverage, no meal breaks and sometimes very hard to take a restroom break, conflicting direction from higher mgrs, staffing issues go overlooked for too long, high stress on Mgmnt team, high shrink, unprofessionalism on dm level including gossip and profanity

Dm's shouldn't be allowed to text you past 10pm. There is too much money being wasted on unused marketing which only clutters our marketing station and damages the signs we really need. Markdowns should be done every two months with more payroll allocation to ensure completeness, because being behind on a task every month only hurts the business and store morale. Give more pog hours or make a new pog with more reasonable moves.

Claire's Stores Photos