Claire's Stores

Opens up doors

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Creating your own schedules if you are a store manager and it has opened many doors for me especially because I am young. You can gain a lot of experience.

Cons

The strategic planning and business model of this company is terrible. I could go on and on about this. Working eight hours with no break, working by yourself with little payroll allocation. I understand that payroll is costly to the company but it would not only deter shoplifters but it would create accountability, specifically when closing. The amount of shrink lost if the payroll allocation was increased would be significantly lessened. I think the company is bringing in a lot of newness with some fresh faces but I don't think enough is being done to re-vamp the image of Claire's. Employees are growing tired. Very very unrealistic expectations for store managers, we aren't super heros but we try really hard to be for the company. Put out shipment, do scheduling, do POG, do markdowns, check all weekly paperwork, reach sales goals, respond to 20 emails, assist customers, do ear piercings all on the sales floor while you are the only one there. Plus, it's your responsibility to keep all employees in line which is difficult if everyone works mostly alone.

Please consult with store managers and employees who are the face of your business to get feedback. 5 training hours to train third key managers, that's it? That is certainly not enough time to train them properly to be key-turned. You cannot expect managers to recruit third keys when we are offering them less than what they can get paid at some fast food restaurants. And the LP department.......please call me back. I've been calling you for three months. Has your 24 hour hotline been out of commission for several years now? If LP is such a big issue, when LP calls are placed especially for potential employee theft, we need an immediate response.

ok

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, KY (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

50% discount
    if you like piercings then piercings others is fun

Cons

work long hours alone
    company breaks state law and dosent give breaks to people who work 8 hours every day

I was a third key.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Helping young girls with accessories for prom and homecoming is very satisfying.

Cons

Black Friday sucks!!!! And can get quite boring at times

Awful company, awful coworkers.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Employee Discount, trained to pierce ears.

Cons

The store I worked at is run by 24 year old girl who acted 10 and stamped her feet when things didn't go her way. I was an assistant manager and was treated like a sales associate most days. In the 4 months I worked there our store only made it in the positives ONCE. If we didn't make plan or beat LY it was because we didn't push hard enough. They wanted me to to place merchandise into people's baskets and force them to buy items they didn't want. The SM and DM cared more about your ADS and UPT than if you actually made the company money or not. My SM always had $25+ ADS and ALWAYS rubbed it in and made you feel incompetent. The rules for wearing jeans and always having at least 5 accessories on while working is retarded. I wasn't allowed to wear my Sketchers because they were "too much like an athletic shoe" so I was forced to wear the most uncomfortable shoes that were within the "dress to impress" guidlines. The last straw for me was when I called in and told them I wouldn't be in due to icy roads and bad weather, SM basically said "show up to work or lose your job." I was also the oldest one there and the only one with kids so I felt really out of place when I worked, this job is not for anyone over the age of 23. Was so happy when I walked out. I felt like 100 lbs had been lifted off my shoulders. Only job I ever worked where if you worked 8 hours you only got 1 break. The girls I worked with were very clique-ish.

Stop focusing so much on ADS and UPT.

okay

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

had a quick interview. they really do check reference and your jobs.

Cons

the pay sucks. it slow

ok job to start

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

discount co workers customer bonus prize for to top store for the most part easy work

Cons

pay rate, upper mang. sucked somewhat disrepectful long hours had to remodel store twice one

Decent experience. Terrible DM.

Former Employee - Third Key/Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Third Key/Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was above average, because I had some experience.
    3rd key is the best job, you have more responsibility but you are either opening or closing.
    Scheduling was wonderful, our manager was excellent at meeting everyone's needs.

Cons

DM pushed store managers too hard.
    We had to do all inventory large or small, ourselves which meant HOURS overnight twice a year!
    401K package was pretty terrible.

Fire associates who make the working environment unmanageable! We had a terrible 3rd key who was promoted by an ex store manager but our manager was too afraid to get rid of her since she complained A LOT to our DM, because she thought she knew it all. My store has since closed and she moved on, thankfully, she was a terror to work with.

n/a

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great employee discount on merchandise.

Cons

You have to work alone most of the time.

Absolutely appalling! Appalling treatment of staff

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cwmbran, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cwmbran, Wales (UK)

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50% discount but the products are cheap and nasty

Cons

Expected to drop everything to work extra hours, extremely difficult to get any time off, days off change at a few hours notice, dress to sell is gross - socks I had to wear for Christmas went back out to customers, extremely unhygienic and revolting. Training isn't sufficent. Appalling attitude towards staff.

Get your act together, this is the 21st century and staff are treated with no respect whatsoever, I was bullied and victimised in the work place and left very stressed and upset.

Started as good company became worse after 2011

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Pretty okay medical, good employee discounts, meet lot of different people and fun to be around the kids.

Cons

They care nothing about there employees that been with the company for years. They overly pressure you, and the pay is horrible for what they expect from you. The raises are horrible 25 cents or less every year. They hire outside of company instead of giving those who have worked for the company for years a higher position

Learn to develop your employees who been with the company for year's instead of treating them like crapm

Claire's Stores Photos