Claire's Stores Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Claire's is a great retail company.. if you dont mind a bit of hard work and retail hours.

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was promoted from a 3rd key holder to a Assistant Manager to Manager in just over 3 years. I felt they acknowledged my hard work and promoted accordingly. All my managers were always wonderful. I loved my manager as a 3rd key and Assistant, as well as my district manager as a Store Manager. I felt I was very well trained and the responsabilities matched the pay. As an employee, I felt very empowered with the provided resources on site to correct whatever I needed to. Weather it be step by step how to do a certain transation, or how to put out freight. If you are willing to put a little pep in your step and not sit around all day, this a wonderful company to work for.

Cons

The hours are typical retail hours, even for store managers. Even though we made our stores own schedules, we were required to work certain days, close a certain amount of days, work every Saturday and 1 Sunday a month. This wouldn't neccessarily be bad, but each week was different. It was hard to plan anything personal ahead of time because you didn't know if you would have to work or not. Time off was also difficult to take because they had a ton of 'blackout' dates in which you couldn't use your vacation. These dates coincided with Spring breaks, Holidays, and general busy seasons.

More availability of time to use vacation hours. A consistent schedule for all employees for a more even personal/work life balance.

Corporate Office: Small Company, Lots Of Drama

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner  in  Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of exposure to senior management; almost everyone is friendly & easy to work with; good work-life balance vs. other larger retailers; if you're OK not advancing beyond Buyer/Planner level this is a good place to make a career

Cons

Minimal training, depending on your position - if you don't already know what you're doing you're going to struggle; limited advancement beyond Buyer/Planner level; Claire's hires a lot of people who are fresh out of college, which can create a LOT of drama on the floor that makes it more like a soap opera vs. a corporate office; lots of turnover within senior management from 2012-2014

Improve training for new hires; expand advancement opportunities beyond Buyer/Planner level - don't always "go outside" to find new people

Good experience

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Deer Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Deer Park, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

More of a laid back atmosphere.
    Younger customers.
    Employee's availability to make

Cons

Lots of responsibility, sometimes too much too handle alone.
    Running the store by yourself.
    Little pay, for great amount of responsibilty.

More opportunities for growth within the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mobility. Always an opportunity to move up. Gives store managers good ownership and ability to be creative in processes.

Cons

Tight payroll, corporate isn't quite in touch with the problems in store.

Terrible for Store Managers

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice discounts on everything including ear piercing

Cons

Often the only employee in the store meaning no real breaks or lunch. No room for hours, too many cuts, not enough staff, too many planograms.....the list is LONG

There should be no reason that there is only one person in the store for hours on end. God forbid there is a call out, you are stuck doing an open to close by yourself, no breaks, if someone wont/cant come in. Many more complaints but cest la vie

Poor Management

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Flagstaff, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Flagstaff, AZ (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Poor management, horrible rushed training, too many hours and then little to no hours, high employee turnover and District Manager highly unprofessional and rude. Are forced to sell to customers and constantly bug customers while they are shopping. ADS is the most ridiculous system sales is second important. Employees undervalued no growth opportunities

Cons

Pay for third key is a bit higher than minimum wage and you are allowed to be alone in the store so some sense of independence

Value your employees more and give reasonable tasks. Don't leave all the dirty work for your employees get your hands dirty too and stop making promises you can not keep.

Overworked and Underpaid

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount is 50% that is about the only good thing about working for this company. If you have a good store manager that hires a strong team you will be able to glide by for a short peorid of time.

Cons

Upper management is very condescending. One day things are done one way the next the district manager changes her mind and wants things done another way. District manager is very controlling and plays favorites. They expect so much but offer little time to complete tasks they want done. Full store promotion changes every other day. They want you to basically stalk every customer that walks through the door and force them to buy what is "trendy and new." Every member of management above store level speaks at you and not to you.

Learn how to effectively manage stores and give praise where deserved rather then always looking for what is/was done wrong. Spend more time training employees then just thrusting them into the work environment. Spend more time training associates on how to pierce ears then a couple tries on a cardboard ear.

This was probably the absolute worst place I have ever worked. The company is so unorganized. Stay away from this compan

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back, easy. I have nothing more good to say.

Cons

The company was unorganized. I had highest dollar per sale 3 months in a row, and was supposed to get a $25 gift card for every month. Never received any. I also only worked 3 hours a week with the promise of more hours once fully trained. After 6 months, the manager said that she just never had the time to train me, and made me tell the district manager that I had been fully trained.

My manager was fired, so I'm hoping that the management is fine now. But I quit long before that happened.

Tough workplace!

Former Employee - District Sales Manager  in  Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are not manu pros for this company. You do get company car, computer, cellphone. Mostly 9-5 work schedule.

Cons

everything! Low pay for store managers, little training, low workforce payroll, large shipments, low retention, cut-throat upper management.

Claires cute products

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

cute products, good work hours

Cons

not a lot to do some days, not great pay

pay better, give more creative freedom

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!