Clayton Homes
www.claytonhomes.com Maryville, TN 5000+ Employees

Clayton Homes Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014
Clayton Homes – Andersonville – “Linde Forklifts are the BEST!”

Kevin T. Clayton

Demanding

Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
New Iberia, LA (US)

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros$650.00/ week first 30 days

ConsHouses are Hot in the summer, You on a Draw against your commission

Advice to Senior Managementchange the office hours to that of a normal company and Do a Salary Plus Commission Program. for your employees

It's not the Clayton of old

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Maryville, TN (US)

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCMH has great people for the most part. The facilities are excellent. The work hours and flexible schedule are definitely a plus. Kevin Clayton is a visionary and is a great businessman.

ConsCMH, at the highest level, has lost touch with the core values that got the company where it is today. Clayton no longer seems to value people with integrity. The only team members that get ahead in IT are the ones that pad key leadership members egos with compliments and praise and they certainly don't disagree with them on things that he or she is passionate about. The 3 team members that have had the most success in IT do disagree with leadership but only on things that are of no material value. These 3 have became the laughing stock among IT team members and business unit leaders. I am embarrassed to be a part of the Clayton IT team. Over the years, these 3 have successfully gotten rid of several key IT team members by whom they felt threatened by. IT spending is so far out of control that fixing it will never be a SNAP.

Rules are not applied uniformly between women and men. Management and HR are scared to death of women and minorities therefore it is impossible for all groups to be treated fairly and equitably.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou survey team members, look again at the IT surveys and pay attention. There is little to no respect for key leadership members by the IT group. Spending is out of control, talk to middle-management about it to truly get a feel for what is going on in key positions.

Not a bad place to work.

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time

ProsClear expectations, steady workload, good benefits, good hours,

ConsThere is a definite us vs them atmosphere between management and shop labor. Pay scale is very much slanted towards management. Communication and planning is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to work more with planning. a company this size should have production scheduled out at least 3 to 4 weeks.

It was a starting point...

IT Support (Former Employee)
Maryville, TN (US)

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat facilities and really nice people

ConsBeware of the hidden agenda of the mid-level management

Advice to Senior ManagementGood ideas don't only stem from management.

Clayton Homes could gain alot by listening more and talking less.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time for more than a year

ProsFor this industry, the compamy has good benefits.

ConsLonger, unnecessary hours, than anyone else in the industry. Not many people want to buy a home at 7pm! Those who do could be scheduled an appointment.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

Not crazy about corporate culture but local branch great

I have been working at Clayton Homes for more than a year

ProsRelaxed culture, business casual, predictable hours

ConsPay and benefits leave a lot to be desired
About 10 years behind times in technology

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade technology
Offer better benefits
Start a training program

Mostly positive but not the direction for me

General (Current Employee)

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time

ProsFamily run, good solid backing from Warren Buffett's owernship. World class customer service goals, good innovation and constant improvement. Upper management and the corporate office are full of classy people who really do care and every year the company is striving to add more value for customers and team members. This is really a quality company and is definitely the best by far in the industry.

Consthis is a tough industry that relies on people having a good enough credit score to buy your product. Unfortunately, it has become much tougher to get people financed over the last several years while at the same time we have become much more highly regulated and have a whole lot more hoops to jump through. Managers commission for personally selling homes(which is encouraged) was cut by about two-thirds this year.

Advice to Senior Managementrevise the manager home sale commission back to appropriate levels or stop pushing personal sales on the manager

Getting back to the previous company culture that made them a great place to work back in the 80s and 90s.

General Manager (Current Employee)
Knoxville, TN (US)

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCan be a fun place to work, and it's rewarding helping people become homeowners. Good pay plan for managers that produce.

ConsLots of pressure to produce. If a GM were to have a bump in the road with his local economy, or sales staff, and that resulted in him losing money for the company for 6 months to a year, he would spend the next period of equal time or more trying to dig himself out of the loses with no meaningful compensation. Many times winter months force the sales to stall out and a store to lose money during the end of the 4th qtr and the first part of the 1st qtr. I've heard stories of GMs living on their credit cards or home equity lines during this period of time only to have to pay it all back during the 2nd qtr. This can make it a tough roller coaster ride and frustrating. There is something of a disconnect with the marketing team at the corporate office and the field. Many promotions are rolled out without our input that prove to be largely ineffective.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that no matter how much you measure store traffic, application volume, closing ratios, quarterly promos, etc., that there is only one thing that makes a real difference and increases sales; that is the experience of dependable and trustworthy GMs that have proven themselves as top performers in sales first. Then help that GM hire the best of the best salespeople.

Okay, but didn't like pay change

Home Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time

ProsI loved meeting different people and selling homes. I worked with great people.

ConsNot many people got approved and If they did, the bank offered silly down payments and interest rates. Long hours

Ridiculous

Home Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for less than a year

ProsThe only pros are the smoke they blow up your butt when they hire you

ConsGeneral Manager changes way too often. Regional Manager says he is stepping in, just to lock himself up in an office "preparing for something else". They lied about salary. Saying 32,000 a year. Reality 23,000. Forced to learn things on your own. Strongly repremanded when you do things wrong, even if you were not trained properly. Not allowed to go to company trainings if management thinks store is short handed. Soooo, you dont get opportunity to learn. Advice...Run the other direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your regional managers accountable to what they "say" they are going to do.

Worked for Clayton Homes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clayton Homes reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Clayton Homes CEO Kevin T. Clayton. All 49 reviews are posted anonymously by Clayton Homes employees.