Clear Channel

Clear Channel Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman

Bob Pittman

Pros:
  • "Great people to work with, everyone there seems to be close"
    in 11 reviews
  • "It is a great place to learn about broadcasting business"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "General opinion of those part of upper management at the main office is low due to the "less is more" creed"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Employees have been told flat out that the company "does not do cost of living increases"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Total Traffic + Weather

On-Air Anchor (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSince moving into the Clear Channel building in Addison and hiring a new Director of Operations in 2013,Total Traffic Dallas has become a much more pleasant and enjoyable place to work. Gone are the days of micromanaging, and employees no longer have to constantly look over their shoulder. There is now an atmosphere of honesty and trust between workers and management, as well as a dramatic improvement in empathy and understanding. If something breaks, it gets fixed. If something or someone is keeping you from doing your job, that will also get fixed. If a client harasses/abuses you, management will stand up for you. It's amazing what regime change and new offices/equipment can do.

ConsThis is still corporate radio, so you can't expect to make much money, even at full-time. Thankfully, they are now implementing performance reviews, so if you do a good job, you will get an annual raise.

Another downside is the continuing low amount of growth opportunities. As with most of the radio business, somebody's gotta die, quit, get cancelled, or get fired for you to advance upwards.

Also, the Obamacare law has negatively affected the company's current healthcare plan offerings. Gone are the traditional HMO plans (if you like your plan, you cannot keep your plan!), and now employees must pay the same or more per paycheck for less coverage, in the form of an HSA or Flex-Spending Account. My own healthcare plan went from traditional HMO with a $20-30 deductible to an HSA with a $2000 deductible. To be clear, I don't blame the company for this; it's just the cost of doing business in a terrible regulatory environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the current path. Keep treating your employees well, keep listening to their ideas, keep backing them up, and you'll do great. Even though it continues to be a tough market, keep trying to find as many affiliates as possible to supply news, traffic, and weather reports.

Too Corporate

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

ProsClear Channel has extremely wide reach, and the people I work with are passionate about their jobs.

ConsUpper management seems too concerned with the bottom line, and not concerned enough with meeting the needs of their people, or providing top-quality content. I don't believe I'm compensated fairly for the work that I do.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your product and your local markets and watch your market share grow!

Great at first. But lost my job due to downsizing after ten years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat resources, except promotional marketing resources.

ConsPolitics, lack of marketing resources, collective-contesting that audiences see right through.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive radio back local control and live personalities in the individual stations.

Clear Channel Pros & Cons

Promotions Manager (Current Employee)
Newark, NJ (US)

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLove working in the entertainment field.

ConsThe health plan is getting worse year by year. Used to offer United Health Care, then created their own "Clear Channel Health Care" with an EPO and an HSA. They now have eliminated the EPO plan and only offer an HSA. Workers outside of sales and programming are drastically underpaid.

Love my time working at Clear Channel!

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

ProsI learned so much while interning at Clear Channel.

ConsWish more job positions were available.

Loved the environment and was able to grow and learn so many useful skills

Producer (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Clear Channel part-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy coworkers were great and life long connections. I

ConsNot much really although the lay offs were pretty scary times.

Company is ruining radio

Producer (Former Employee)
Davenport, IA (US)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

ProsThey have a great reach and good brand recognition. If you like radio, this is your opportunity to work in radio.

ConsYou will eventually get laid off. It doesn't matter how many cuts you make it through… eventually they will get to you… and you will be gone. The company is completely ruining radio and running it into the ground. Also the pay is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop ruining radio and getting rid of great talent for no reason.

I had a great experience but there is not a lot of room to grow with the company in the long run.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Clear Channel part-time for more than a year

ProsClear Channel has a great team environment among all their offices. The mentality of the office is very laid back and easy going.

ConsThey pay significantly less than other companies in the industry and the do not offer as many benefits. There is also not a lot of room to grow with the company.

great place to work

Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat people, great atmosphere, tons of room for growth.

Consnone i can think of

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work

Fun Station

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you like rock, it's fun

Consif company merges, you are in great jeapordy

Advice to Senior Managementcare more about employees

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Clear Channel reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman. All 327 reviews are posted anonymously by Clear Channel employees.