Clear Channel

Updated 19 September 2014
Updated 19 September 2014

Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman
Bob Pittman

Pros
  • I enjoyed the work environment and many staff members were very close (in 13 reviews)

• lots of good people at my job place (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Outside of upper management and AM personalities, the pay is very disappointing (in 21 reviews)

• No room for growth and they don't like to pay very well unless you're in upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Interns Need Professional Development

Former Employee - Promotions Intern  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Promotions Intern in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The schedule was really flexible. Had the opportunity to completely manage promotional events.

Cons

Interns are mostly just free labor. The position didn't offer much in the way of professional development and overall it was extremely easy. Most of the jobs I did as an intern were just busy work. Not that busy work is all bad but it just wasn't challenging at all and I learned essentially nothing from the work.

Offer some kind of professional development for interns. I think casually showing interns Clear Channels marketing department or strategy would go a long way in satisfying current interns and attracting future interns to the company.

Overall great experiance

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed the people that I worked with as they seem to hire people with very similar personalities. They try and create an overall fun place to be.

Cons

Management definitely had their favorites, and this very select group of people got away with EVERYTHING. I always likened it to high school bullies who knock your lunch tray out of your hands. That's how they made you feel.

Get to know some of your employees better outside of your favorite circle of people.

Ok starter job, low pay and bad benefits

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good environment to learn in, the best company there is for working in radio, friendly employees outside of management

Cons

Known in the industry as "cheap channel" and they follow through - raises are a joke if you get one at all, benefits have gone downhill the last 4 years (from United Healthcare to their own "Clear Channel Health Plan" for less coverage and more money), upper management (C-Suite especially) is COMPLETELY out of touch with their employees other than people in leadership positions, completely understaffed for the amount of work people do in certain divisions and are made to feel as if they are as interchangeable as a piece of furniture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience and some wonderful people

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to learn quickly and learn valuable skills. The people are some of the best and smartest I've ever worked with. There is ample training and investment in equipment. The IT projects are challenging and impactful.

Cons

There are revenue challenges preventing the company from showing employees that they are valued. There haven't been bonuses or raises in a number of years. There seems to be a lot of turnover in leadership which causes ripple effects and some lurching around between priorities.

Place more emphasis on taking care of existing employees. There is a lot of perception that new employees can get exorbitant salaries while loyal employees are restrained from getting advances beyond a small percentage increase. Spread it around some. Many employees would love to feel like they are a part of the same culture you cats in Manhattan enjoy. The sizzle reals are nice, but when you trip on the carpet walking back to your cube it's hard to get stoked about how glamorous your company is.

Solid company that actively tries to move the needle in the industry

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Always changing. Fast paced. Results driven.

Cons

No raises. Cost cutting is hurting the products. Talented people are leaving the company and the industry

People are the product. Have to devise a plan to be visible in the local markets

Positives and negatives depend on your perception of working in a highly corporate, top-down structure.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at Clear Channel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Unparalleled resources and state-of-the-art technology go hand in hand with being the largest company in the category. Quality properties and instant recognition in the marketplace.

Cons

A total numbers-driven management philosophy. If it can't be measured mathematically, put into a metric, and printed out on a spreadsheet it doesn't exist or has no value. People are as interchangeable as office furniture for that reason.

Enjoyable

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Clear Channel part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very willing to help with whatever

Cons

Excellent help when being trained..

Good starting point

I worked at Clear Channel

Pros

Fun concerts, fun team, 'fun' overall

Cons

Didn't seem like there were much room for moving up - seemed like a lot of work got dumped on one person

Future is optimistic

I have been working at Clear Channel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clear Channel's challenge to break through digital makes it an exiting and fast paced place to work. But with excitement and a fast pace comes high turnover.

Cons

Good environment but pay increases / bonuses are dinosaurs. No raises for a number of years to even match the current inflation rate.

Great if you're interested in radio

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Clear Channel as an intern

Pros

If you want to go into radio and music then, it doesn't get any better than this.
    -Met cool musicians
    - Very laid back office. Lots of fun and lots of laughs
    - Heard new music before the public

Cons

- Running silly errands
    - No compensation
    -Overworked at certain points

Worked for Clear Channel? Contribute to the Community!