Colgate-Palmolive

Colgate-Palmolive Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Colgate-Palmolive Chairman, President, and CEO Ian M. Cook

Ian M. Cook

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance, good management if you are paired with a good mentor"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Great benefits and still has some great people there"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance was no good for me at all"
    in 12 reviews
  • "very conservative; the decision making process is too long"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company

Intern (Former Employee)
Cuttack

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood exposure if you have interest in fmcg marketing

Consyou dont know where you will be posted. If it is in the interiors of rural India, then it is quite difficult.

Great place to work!

Mumbai

ProsCaring employer
Equal opportunities
usually very objective assessment of individual's performance & acknowledges unique contributions
Adequate work life balance

ConsLinear growth paths
Change Management prowess
Employee benefits could be better, benchmarked with peers

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent professional yet caring working environment, with plethora of opportunities

Local leadership team needs to come across as more visionary & lead the subsidary business as a strong independent unit, with its own thinking, its own growth plan, playing aggressively on local strengths, & contributing to division & global more completely than just $s in profit.

Not so good once you come on the inside

Sales and Marketing (Current Employee)
Mumbai

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive

ProsProcesses are good, some of the senior management is really good, respect for employees, intolerance for bad behaviour especially towards women

ConsNo clarity on career prospects, very little freedom to work, too much centralised, worked with a lot of micro managers, afraid to take hard decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the systems are in place and the company enjoys a good brand image in the market place, the employee morale is low in most departments i have worked with. Need to give more clarity on the career plans, and allow some flexibility in working, right now everything gets decided at the top and even middle managers are doing only execution.

Great company to work for

Finance (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent benefit, exposure to cross functional department and no limit to career growth (for those willing to relocate frequently)

ConsJob safety not anymore guaranteed with several outsourcing initiatives toward Mexico and India effecting many departments (Accounting, Finance, HR, IT, Customer Service...)

Very old school mentality.

Strong resistance to change as well as extremely long process to implementation when such process changes are approved.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much uncertainty in light of the current changes and outsourcing plans which is dragging efficiency down, need to focus on CP people and show the true "Caring for People" in this difficult time

Good Company but limited opportunity for those not recruited right out of school

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive

ProsExcellent salary and benefits and great discounts on products.

ConsThe company tends to identify those they want to promote early on by ability to relocate around the country and world. If you are not recruited right out of college you may be limited in opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize the talent within the company more effectively.

x

Brand Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- a lot of things to learn in the first 2-3 years as entry-level both from other employees and trainings
- very good implementation of culture & values (can be seen on website)
- salary as market average + extra-benefits and bonuses
- high business ethics standard
- environment where employees feel free to share and discuss any ideas/issues even with top management
- opportunity to work abroad, though reduced since 'the economic crisis'

Cons- depending on personal capabilities, after 2-3 years from entry-level you might reach a halt in learning if left on the same position/category/project
- since 'the economic crisis' the strategy is has not been clearly defined and communicated
- strategy is strongly driven by financial KPIs, not focused on consumers
- middle managers have 10+ years in the company and are a bit stuck in the 'old ways' of doing things
- in commercial departments overtime is a given and not compensated

Advice to Senior Management- clearly define and communicate company commercial strategy
- focus the strategy more on consumers (research), brand communication
- start building long term plans (vs current very short term) and actively enforcing flawless implementation for long term results
- less is more

I interned in Colgate for a year. It is great!

Co-Op (Current Employee)
Piscataway, NJ (US)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive as an intern for less than a year

ProsI learned a lot when I interned there, cowokers are nice, ready to help and friendly. Hourly pay is good and time is flexible.

ConsIt is hard to get a full time position if you are a co-op.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish I can attend more activities in the company and network with more other people, but there are not that many opportunities.

Colgate was best employer I've ever had

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive

ProsColgate offers many opportunities for advancement. It also has a great management team.

ConsLong term, if you're not interested in international business, Colgate may not be the best place for you.

Strong company that shows employees appreciation.

Piscataway, NJ (US)

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive part-time for more than a year

ProsStrong and understanding management, diverse culture, opportunities to partake in consumer tests for extra cash, company store is a huge plus.

ConsSome job cuts have occurred recently. transferring between departments is made difficult

Great place to work with amazing people

I have been working at Colgate-Palmolive full-time for more than a year

ProsQuality of people is unquestionable. Sociable and enjoyable place to work. Having the opportunity to work on heritage brands that have been in my life since I was a little kid has been a rewarding challenge and great experience.

ConsIt is a political and hierarchical environment to work in that can be very frustrating. Given a responsibility to shareholders, it is (at times) be risk averse, and can tend to over-think strategies - making it slow to respond.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster a culture that promotes change and allows middle management to challenge the status quo. Embracing different views can often bring something new to the table with great potential.

Worked for Colgate-Palmolive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Colgate-Palmolive reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Colgate-Palmolive CEO Ian M. Cook. All 223 reviews are posted anonymously by Colgate-Palmolive employees.