Colgate-Palmolive

Colgate-Palmolive Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Colgate-Palmolive Chairman, President, and CEO Ian M. Cook

Ian M. Cook

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, good management if you are paired with a good mentor (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits and still has some great people there (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance was no good for me at all (in 12 reviews)

• very conservative; the decision making process is too long (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

highly political. Ethics exist only in theory. Do not accept a job here if you have other choice

Analyst (Current Employee)

Prossalary, other perks such as dental insurance

ConsVery slow moving, political, competence completely ignored and irrelevant for management. No transparency and clear commutation, very bad planning. Ethics are at a very low level. Company doesn't see anything wrong in bullying on people.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange all middle management. Hr trainings needed first for HR themselves. HR are absent. Nobody cAres about employees. Very bad managers out there.

x

Brand Manager (Former Employee)

Pros- a lot of things to learn in the first 2-3 years as entry-level both from other employees and trainings
    - very good implementation of culture & values (can be seen on website)
    - salary as market average + extra-benefits and bonuses
    - high business ethics standard
    - environment where employees feel free to share and discuss any ideas/issues even with top management
    - opportunity to work abroad, though reduced since 'the economic crisis'

Cons- depending on personal capabilities, after 2-3 years from entry-level you might reach a halt in learning if left on the same position/category/project
    - since 'the economic crisis' the strategy is has not been clearly defined and communicated
    - strategy is strongly driven by financial KPIs, not focused on consumers
    - middle managers have 10+ years in the company and are a bit stuck in the 'old ways' of doing things
    - in commercial departments overtime is a given and not compensated

Advice to Senior Management- clearly define and communicate company commercial strategy
    - focus the strategy more on consumers (research), brand communication
    - start building long term plans (vs current very short term) and actively enforcing flawless implementation for long term results
    - less is more

Good Company but limited opportunity for those not recruited right out of school

ProsExcellent salary and benefits and great discounts on products.

ConsThe company tends to identify those they want to promote early on by ability to relocate around the country and world. If you are not recruited right out of college you may be limited in opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize the talent within the company more effectively.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I interned in Colgate for a year. It is great!

Co-Op (Current Employee) Piscataway, NJ (US)

ProsI learned a lot when I interned there, cowokers are nice, ready to help and friendly. Hourly pay is good and time is flexible.

ConsIt is hard to get a full time position if you are a co-op.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish I can attend more activities in the company and network with more other people, but there are not that many opportunities.

Colgate was best employer I've ever had

ProsColgate offers many opportunities for advancement. It also has a great management team.

ConsLong term, if you're not interested in international business, Colgate may not be the best place for you.

representative in the conference of oral health community.

Prosis a company with serious commitment to oral health in Puerto Rico

Consestablish a network of Statistics on main factors causing diseases related to oral cancer.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilization levels and surveys of using colgate flowchart related to oral diseases oral hygiene, importance of oral health products and expectations for the future.

Good company to work with

Intern (Former Employee) Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

ProsGood platform to start your first job

ConsMay be quite stressful with very tight deadline

Strong company that shows employees appreciation.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Piscataway, NJ (US)

ProsStrong and understanding management, diverse culture, opportunities to partake in consumer tests for extra cash, company store is a huge plus.

ConsSome job cuts have occurred recently. transferring between departments is made difficult

Great place to work with amazing people

ProsQuality of people is unquestionable. Sociable and enjoyable place to work. Having the opportunity to work on heritage brands that have been in my life since I was a little kid has been a rewarding challenge and great experience.

ConsIt is a political and hierarchical environment to work in that can be very frustrating. Given a responsibility to shareholders, it is (at times) be risk averse, and can tend to over-think strategies - making it slow to respond.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster a culture that promotes change and allows middle management to challenge the status quo. Embracing different views can often bring something new to the table with great potential.

great company to work for

Business Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros- fair salary
    - well qualified employees
    - sturdy firm

Cons- not very innovative
    - less than engaging work

Advice to Senior Management- modernise

Worked for Colgate-Palmolive? Contribute to the Community!