Colorado Springs Utilities

www.csu.org

Colorado Springs Utilities Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Jerry Forte

Long term employee who interacted with many people in multiple departments.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsExcellent for long term employment and retirement opportunities.

ConsPoor understanding of how to communicate well with employees. Ineffective at staying current in technology and implementing modern solutions in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to spend a little time talking to the grass roots employees and understanding not only what the real issues are but how to effectively implement solutions.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosteleworker opportunity, previous supervisor really showed appreciation and helped with working with my disability

Conslack of support during medical condition

Great experience for engineering students

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsPlenty of projects that are challenging and diverse. Personnel from the top down that I worked with are all great people and really made my employment an enjoyable experience.

ConsDuring my time with CSU I had no significant issues that wouldn't be apart of any job or office setting.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's Ok

ProsGood job, decent coworkers, benefits are ok

ConsOk benefits, very little communication from the higher ups. PERA was not explained. Company has issues with getting its data straight, and results in inconsistencies.

Slow and Steady says it all

ProsThe employees are friendly, flexible, and professional. Some employees are very talented, some are essentially incompetent, most are somewhere in the middle. The pay is above what I would have expected pretty much company wide.

ConsEverything happens very slowly. The atmosphere is mostly dull and boring. The average age of employees must be at least 45, there are many near retirement who obviously are just holding on for the retirement benefits. Overall it seems pretty typical of a government job - very little risks are taken, politics always rules, and there is no sense of urgency for taking new exciting opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring more young people would really give this company the boost it needs.

Senior leadership is in transition which can be a good thing assuming good people are hired to replace them

Employee (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsExcellent job stability and true respect for work life balance across the organization.

ConsContinuous process improvement needs to become more than partially adopted. There are opportunities to realize efficiency but out dated policy/practice gets in the way sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush for greater accountability and impactful leadership. Hold your management team accountable for making solid hiring decisions and building high performing work teams.

The most unethical and corrupt company in Colorado Springs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCSU used to be a good company. But then Jerry Forte became CEO and all of that changed. Don't believe the positive reviews on this site, I think they are bogus. However, the negative reviews are spot on. The only good thing at CSU is the health insurance and probably why people stay. Actually, it is the PERA trap. I would have to say that there are some nice people here, but an employer with almost 2000 people, you would expect it. But overall, most people operate in negativity.

ConsWhere does one begin? Everything that has been said about CSU from other commenters is true. And more. It is seriously an extremely unethical and corrupt company. I wish that I could give specfics, but it would reveal the area that people work in. Employees operate in fear of retaliation for standing for the truth. Management has created a hostile work environment with racism, discrimination and harrasment----very common place. If you value yourself, please don't work at CSU. Its a horrible place. There is no room for advancement at CSU. They post jobs internally, but they don't tell you that they already have someone in mind for the job. People are leaving the company in droves. In fact, they force everyone to participate in a class called culture of honor and respect because they are trying to stop the bleeding. However, nothing has changed and people still are trying to get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is not interested in what others have to say. They live in a bubble and are completed disconnected from employees. One day, One day, the truth will be known about CSU and they will have a difficult time getting positions filled once people know that they will step into a nightmare in accepting employment with this company.

Shockingly poor management.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsFairly nice offices and the pay is decent for Colorado Springs.

ConsNot a good place to work if you value ethics and believe that hard work and good decisions will lead to your advancement. There is no real oversight by City Council so there is no incentive to make good business decisions that are in the long-term best interests of customers. Millions in rate payer money has been wasted because of ill conceived project decisions. Leadership is lacking and top management are "yes men and women". Employee complaints are ignored and favoritism is the main criteria for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management needs to be fired and replaced with intelligent, ethical, experienced managers who genuinely care about employees and customers.

Lacks Leadership and has Significant Ethics Issues

Supervisor (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsGood people, community owned, lots of room for advancement due to high turnover - working here has become a revolving door. As reported by one officer, the conflict between the City Council and Mayor continue to work in our favor and leadership needs to continue to push and encourage that conflict.

ConsThe organization lacks complete ethics. Nearly every department is faced with leadership troubles. There are serious financial challenges that continue to be hidden from City Council. We tout a "culture of honor" yet we practice a culture of lies; our PR department is notorious for spinning everything, and there jobs duties consist of using various screen names to post positive comments on all blogs and articles associated with CSU.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have run our organization and the rate payers company in the ground. Move on....

Employment at Colorado Springs Utilities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsRewarding local government job with great benefits

ConsUnderstaffed for many positions, making work/life-balance difficult to maintain

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on inappropriate relationships between different levels of supervision; my experience was that the cozy state of the chain of command made it difficult for lower-level employees to resolve important issues or to be more actively involved in providing input on current operations.

Worked for Colorado Springs Utilities? Contribute to the Community!