Colorado Springs Utilities Reviews

Updated 21 March 2015
19 reviews filtered by
2.9
Jerry Forte

1. I love working at Colorado Springs Utilities- not a perfect company, but a good one

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities

Pros

The skill level of the technical craft employees is extremely high. Customer service is a top priority. The compensation and benefits package is competitive. Although there are some concerns with the performance management process, this is an organization that takes the time to address performance in a way that focuses on both the positive and the areas that need improvement. Many organizations do not invest the time to hold regular reviews and have performance discussions. Employees at this organization truly care about their customers and community. Strong volunteerism.

Cons

Pockets of leadership about to exit creates some uncertainty and there is some disengagement. The organizational structure likely needs an overhaul as some groups are split and combined in ways that aren't effective and have been tailored to the current leadership. Pockets of employee entitlement and unrealistic expectations about how a business should operate. Politics can sometimes get in the way of long-term strategic business planning.

Advice to Management

More strategic, less reactive. Make the tough decisions about the long-standing issues you know need to be addressed. There is a lot of talented leadership but the volume of urgent issues overwhelms even the best leaders.

Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities

Pros

The environment and employees are amazing.

Cons

There really are no cons that I feel would be important enough to include here.

Advice to Management

n/a

3. Leadership Needs Help

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to be for job security and benefits. The people tend to have a positive outlook and want to be part of the community.

Cons

Leadership does not support the employees and does not abide by a consistent behavioural standard. New supervisors are left to "fend for themselves" with no direction or support.

Advice to Management

Establish organization wide communications so every area is consistent and knows what the goal is. Do not pick a random number for headcount reductions. Work on smart solutions that make sense. If this means a rate increase, then so be it! There is only so much you can whip a horse before it turns up dead. (Reducing headcount in an already stressed and overloaded environment will send employees over the edge and unable to cope... I predict increase in ailments for employees.)

Very Disappointing Experience. Caveat Emptor.

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Job, Field Crews were great to work with, some co workers were great to work with. Coworkers who weren't in my department were good to work with. There were people who believed in the mission of providing necessary tools for people to succeed.

Cons

Coworkers were prejudiced, even downright racist. Coworker would throw you under the bus every chance they would get. Company spoke of a culture of honor but there was none there. HR would gloat over the CEO, and what a wonderful company it was to work for, but they were drinking the kool aid. With the exception of one HR personnel, the rest of them were aloof, or unavailable. Boss, while nice personally was unavailable 90% of the time.

Some processes were cumbersome, and busy work. Unnecessarily complicated.

Raises were given to departments in an effort to keep personnel, and then taken away a couple of months later. Meanwhile certain other department managers received large, even excessive raises when management would speak of cutting costs and it every one was being affected.

Their corporate structure is a rob peter to pay paul, thus certain departments have no contingencies, and then rate increases are submitted. In one year there was 3-4 rate increases to its citizens.

My intuition told me to not join this company, I should have listened to myself better.

Advice to Management

Change the city charter, sell off assets to competent companies who can properly manage finances, and personnel. Take back the huge raise you gave to the CEO, dismiss the CFO, and HR managers too.

With Major Change in Management at All Levels Could be a Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and you may have a good supervisor. No money for at least next 4-5 years, huge budget cuts, no raises, etc.. Fairness is non existent. Merit system does not exist and it is entirely the spoils system(hope you are best friends with your boss).

Cons

Financial issues and they are "sudden"(cant be more fake). No Trust and Huge Outsourcing to Occur due to tremendous financial pressures. It is supposed to be a culture of honor and there isn't honesty by the leadership. Everything is back door who can drive the nail in other's back and most money wins. That is how people move up - period.
    Systems that are bigger that fail(Oracle Utility Solution, i.e. supply management/Maximo or trade/ETRM) fail left and right and are still seen as big successes with no implementation whatsoever after millions of dollars and no delivery or results. People in these groups are still given extra pay like other government agencies when everything fails. Time to privatize.

Advice to Management

At least gain the concept of how to develop talent. The approach of kiss the right person's tail has no gain for the company overall. Almost every position I have seen filled by the company the candidate does not have the minimum qualifications if any. I have not seen a promotion based on merit in years.

Long term employee who interacted with many people in multiple departments.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent for long term employment and retirement opportunities.

Cons

Poor understanding of how to communicate well with employees. Ineffective at staying current in technology and implementing modern solutions in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Management needs to spend a little time talking to the grass roots employees and understanding not only what the real issues are but how to effectively implement solutions.

Great company to work for

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities

Pros

teleworker opportunity, previous supervisor really showed appreciation and helped with working with my disability

Cons

lack of support during medical condition

9. Great experience for engineering students

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of projects that are challenging and diverse. Personnel from the top down that I worked with are all great people and really made my employment an enjoyable experience.

Cons

During my time with CSU I had no significant issues that wouldn't be apart of any job or office setting.

10. Slow and Steady says it all

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are friendly, flexible, and professional. Some employees are very talented, some are essentially incompetent, most are somewhere in the middle. The pay is above what I would have expected pretty much company wide.

Cons

Everything happens very slowly. The atmosphere is mostly dull and boring. The average age of employees must be at least 45, there are many near retirement who obviously are just holding on for the retirement benefits. Overall it seems pretty typical of a government job - very little risks are taken, politics always rules, and there is no sense of urgency for taking new exciting opportunities.

Advice to Management

Hiring more young people would really give this company the boost it needs.

11. Senior leadership is in transition which can be a good thing assuming good people are hired to replace them

Current Employee - Employee in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Employee in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent job stability and true respect for work life balance across the organization.

Cons

Continuous process improvement needs to become more than partially adopted. There are opportunities to realize efficiency but out dated policy/practice gets in the way sometimes.

Advice to Management

Push for greater accountability and impactful leadership. Hold your management team accountable for making solid hiring decisions and building high performing work teams.

Colorado Springs Utilities Photos