Columbia University

Columbia University Reviews in New York City, NY US

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Columbia University President and Trustee Lee C. Bollinger

Lee C. Bollinger

Pros
  • Dynamic work environment, access to campus libraries, great work-life balance (in 27 reviews)

• access to the best academic professionals in New York City (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • salaries are generally really low for New York City standards (in 12 reviews)

• The salary could be considerably better, especially considering the cost of living in New York City (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights
347 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Small fish in a big pond

Graduate Student/Research Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsColumbia obviously has the name going for it, and stipends for the grad students are fairly reasonable. People are surprisingly friendly and seem open to collaboration.

ConsSPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM Columbia always feels the need to send every message about everything to everyone in the community. Additionally, there are so many office and departments, it can be hard to know where to go to resolve an issue. The grad students at the Medical Center are second class citizens compared to the med students. Finally, the "cost-of-living" stipend increase doesn't keep pace with price increases in Columbia's own housing! There's not a lot of transparency in payments & budgeting, leading even the people who manage labs clueless about how much money they really have.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spamming me about every new dean that's hired or retired. Actually subsidize the dorm housing! Students can't afford to pay market rate rent on these stipends, but we don't qualify for section 8 low income housing. Stop charging so much rent to the labs when Facilities can't even keep pipes from breaking and light bulbs replaced.

TA-ing is a great opportunity to make money and gain experience while finishing your degree

Curriculum and Grading Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosgreat opportunity to make money and gain experience while finishing your degree

ConsSome classes have much more work to grade and support than others but all are paid the same

Working at Columbia University Medical Center, I had a positive experience enjoyed working with doctors and patients.

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI was able to grow. I was able to move up and enjoyed a living wage.

ConsThere's always a new assignment. Everyday brought on new and never knew what was next.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the effects of changing things around before actually doing them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience

Data Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIt was a great experience. Friendly people and willing to help. Learned a lot during my time there and am a fan of the w

ConsIt was a great experience. Friendly people and willing to help. Learned a lot during my time there and am a fan of the w

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was a great experience. Friendly people and willing to help. Learned a lot during my time there and am a fan of the w

An institution that doesn't care about you.

Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsPrestige, connections to other researchers

ConsCore facilities not up to other institutions.
    HR extremely unorganized, I didn't get paid for 4 weeks, no benefits enrollment until 1 month.
    Ethical conduct in research training is severely lacking.
    Poor morale among a lot of post docs.
    Buildings are not even adequate, our floor has been 96 degrees some days due to a malfunctioning AC system. Apparently a problem for 3 years.

Work is good, salary is not.

Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsInfrastructure is awesome, really good science.

ConsPostdoc salary is ridiculous. Very frustrating.

Nice place to work, collaborative

Biological Sciences Graduate Student Fellow (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsHealth care included, no set hours. Tuition is also payed for so the value of this job is actually greater than $100 per year.

ConsNo dental coverage, no payment schedule provided. Salary payments are irregular and unpredictable although they still add up to the correct yearly salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementNotify students of payment schedule for the full term of their given fellowship.

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIt is just a regular part-time job for students, , but is really good experience for you to meet with faculty, which is quite useful for future connection building. If you want to continue in academia in the future, it is also great, or even required, experience.

ConsBasically I don't have any cons on this position.

lab technician

Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosflexible working environment and lab culture

Consa lot of bureaucracy in administration

Great library system. Loved working there.

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsColumbia is at the forefront of library science, and is a great place to work.

ConsIt's very large, and can be overwhelming at times.

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!