Compass Group

www.compass-group.com

Compass Group Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Compass Group – UK – “EY Top Chefs”

Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins

Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with good benefits(in 5 reviews)

• Best work environment and professionally qualified staff in my team makes me very comfortable to work with(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, low pay because of being in food service industry(in 5 reviews)

• Not enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island(in 3 reviews)

Sweatshop work

Utility (Current Employee) Geraldton (Australia)

ProsImpossible to get fired.
    Slackers get rewarded
    The bigger bully you are the more you'll succeed and move up in the chain of command.
    One way to get into FIFO work

ConsNot paid properly
    All lower to senior managers treat you like cannon fodder
    All managers prefer to backstab you instead of acting professional and treating your claim or problem
    Intentions are to please client only at the cost of staff
    Extreme high turn over which says alot.

Managers will always pick your clients side no matter what the argument or the story is the client will win hands down.

Managers will always get special treatment (free beer, food, frequent flyer points etc)

Managers get all the credit, managers work less hours than workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a change in the entire system

It was a very fun and educational experience.

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsThe people were very helpful and nice, you were given clear expectations and directions on what to do.

ConsNone really, it was a joy

Advice to Senior ManagementJust continue to do what you do

Compass group--Toronto

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-pay is minimum wage in the beginning but you get raises
    -meals are discounted
    -fast paced environment
    -there is paid training

Cons-the environment can get really busy; may be pressed for time
    -supervisors may rush you
    -time for breaks are short

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, it is worth working here to have a good experience of warehouse processes.

ProsGood procurement/warehousing techniques are implemented

ConsRotation working schedule, sometimes you think it is good, sometimes bad.

Terrible job - mixture of a leech and slave-camp company that are present from where I come from... (Eastern Europe)

Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros- great team, we helped each other to survie from one day to another
    - money on time
    - usually two days off per week
    - learned some new skills (barista)

Cons- minimal wage: we spend many hours of private time on online courses which were ment to be paid but never were, the same was with ridiculous raise (20p per hour) which was denied from us even if all of us met the requirements for it.
    - unfair treatment: new workers got better contracts and wages than us although we still had to train them to do the job!
    - no salary while being sick, zero benefits at work: we were denied to drink or eat food from the place I worked cause the company was saving money on us - they explained it was due to the fact we were a franchise belonging to compass group / medirest and had different policy.
    - huge rotation of staff due to horrible working conditions (in the last 3 weeks I worked 6 people quit, during the half a year I worked more than 30)
    - never enough staff so a small and weaken team had to deal with workload which should be spread among higher amount of staff members (people rather pretended to be sick not earning the money than come to work)
    - poor managment, breaking law: demanding doctors sick note after 2 days of work, sometimes fisnishing shift at 10pm and starting for example 6-7am next day, skipping money check with newly open tills to save time, overal inhuman treatment and expectations (not from supervisors as they were in same bad situation as us, but from head office)
    - it often happened that the "office" paid less hours than you actually worked, even if I counted hours myself they always found a magic way to pay less, so after some time I just stopped counting them as it was useless
    - poor hygiene of workplace, it was clean and everything was working great only during audit days - and it is a hospital!
    - constant problems that were slowing down our work: broken sinks, broken fridges, ice blenders etc.
    - fussy customers: most of them were angry at quality of service and its speed - basicly caused by reasons mentioned above. (There is always a queue of 10-20 people)
    - stupid ideas of how to improve our work presented by big bosses - they only know work from the "sitting in the office" perspective trying to implement some ideas which are totally useless. Few days of observation would be better than creating some solutions from the air...
    - no extra money if you work on weekends or holiday, very poor holiday payment
    - slim chances of progression and zero financial or at least mental motivation to do so.
    - unreachable targets as a part of money saving strategies
    - zero work/income stability as the company used to cut hours or not employ new members off staff to squize as much work from current employees as possible. Only when they reached a dangerously low amount of staff they threw some job adverts to fill up some of the holes.
    - very poor training, sometimes non-existing due to shortage of staff
    - frustrating as you see either your supervisors or collegues to burst out crying occasionally when they cannot cope with a given situation ( manage shift with 2 staff members while there should be 5 or 6 of them as we serve easily over 1000 customers daily)

Advice to Senior ManagementJust go and work as one of us for a week you will see...
    Maybe try to be a human instead of seeing us only as a tool to create revenue. Even tools break if you dont care about them eventually...
    Worked at Costa, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

Worked full time hours on zero-hour contract as a salesman/barista/kitchen porter for half a year there and staff members already called me veteran which explains it all... Costa as a company may be a nice play to work, but the franchise I worked for just brings the shame to this coffee shop brand. I pity all the good, honest and hardworking people who are still there...

Major use of government unemployment systems to round out seasonal contract employment at mostly minimum wage jobs

Human Resources and Administration Assistant (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsCannot think of any, sorry!

ConsHire manly new immigrants at min wage and expect the world from them for nothing in return

Advice to Senior ManagementCannot give advice to a company with a use them and lose them mentality, sorry

Highly Political and Self Important Working Environment Stuck in the Past

ProsFor the most part, the atmosphere is one of low expectations. It's very difficult to feel like you are underachieving. Pay is decent.

ConsEverything about this company is traditionalist. There is no sense of new ideas. Creativity is undervalued. Little to no young professionals with fresh ideas. Management is highly politicized and unwilling to compromise.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit the nepotism and shake up the management structure. Allow those with new ideas the chance to make them work. Stop hiring and retaining poor, complacent talent.

PROFITS BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsScratch cooking, No Late nights & Holidays were shared and early.

ConsHard working Under-paid Skelton crew, Old equipment in disrepair. Unskilled or under-skilled managers. Constant threats of firing if over budget on labor or food costs. Bottom line came above Seniors we served. If you tried to speak to corporate it's a run around. Getting anything approved is a nightmare. All that matter was getting apartments filled all else is second at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember service first. If you provide quality food and housing it will speak for itself. That will be the best marketing campaign you could very pay for. Visit and work. Yeah work with those who are in daily contact with the seniors who PAY your salaries. Looking at the bottom line of a P&L will never tell you anything about the future profitability. Actually, going into the trenches will. A general cannot lead form the comfort of his office.
    Corporate is always to busy or too lazy to figure out the problem. It's a get them in and get them paying. It's unfortunate that seniors pay all this money and corporate seems to think as long as the checks come in; they're doing their jobs.

you gotta be in the "group"

Executive Chef (Current Employee)

Pros401k is company assisted a bit

Consupper mgmt. stress really quick, unit mgmt. have to use vacation for any sick time

Advice to Senior Managementchill

intimidation at agco site compass abbey park stoneleigh

Catering Assistant (Former Employee) Kenilworth, England (UK)

Proswhat is there a policy of intimidating been allow to go on at compass agco site abbey park warwickshire cv8 2tq and no higher management is prepared to deal with it ,can you verify that it is ok to intimidate fellow staff member

Consgreat company to work for if you are not subject to intimidation or hounding by other members of staff

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management are not interested in bully tactics by other members of staff,as it seems to be a pecking order of friends and is quickly swept under the carpet

Worked for Compass Group? Contribute to the Community!