Compass Group Reviews

Updated 22 August 2014

2.8

Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins
Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Best work environment and professionally qualified staff in my team makes me very comfortable to work with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, low pay because of being in food service industry (in 5 reviews)

• Not enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Stabile, engaging, and fun.

Former Employee - Food Server
    Former Employee - Food Server

I worked at Compass Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to learn new skills for employee development.

Cons

Not enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island.

Quiet but not career opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Compass Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Safe working place, good standard

Cons

no bonus, no career, a lot a flexibility's request

Better shift organization and encourage the services through bonuses

good place to work

Current Employee - General Food Service Worker  in  Edinboro, PA (US)
    Current Employee - General Food Service Worker in Edinboro, PA (US)

I have been working at Compass Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

nice people to work for, when you leave work you are tired if you are older, we have nice benefits. they are willing to work with you if there is a problem or a family emergency,

Cons

if you don't suck up to management, you don't get away with things, we don't get overtime usually training is one day and people who smoke, get more breaks than the ones that don't,

the only thing i have to say is that the older generation are hard workers, they have alot of knowledge respect them and have the younger ones learn from them if they want to respect their jobs, working is hard and nobody said it is easy,

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for if can meet targets

I worked at Compass Group full-time

Pros

Large company with many opportunities for growth and advancement.

Cons

Either meet targets and expectations or you will be replaced.

Under Payed & 2 faced boss

Current Employee - Cook/Catering Assistant  in  Ballarat (Australia)
    Current Employee - Cook/Catering Assistant in Ballarat (Australia)

I have been working at Compass Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

As a chef it is great to not work 70-75 a week & have a life.Very easy work

Cons

Manager that lied about my pay rate.Never pays me for the hours I do when i'm the only 1 that does the major cleaning

a very 1 sided manager that payes the woman for hours they arn't there yet wont pay a cent for hours I stay back to clean the filth from others that never clean properly..Filled in for a canteen manager for 6 weeks were I did all ordering,cooking,cleaning & menu ideas & was not payed for that rol,witch I will be chacing up back pay for..As a global company I think I think being scamed out of a few hundred dollars is discusting,aspecialy when u am beinh paid $4 an hour less than I signed a contranct for

Sweatshop work

Current Employee - Utility  in  Geraldton (Australia)
    Current Employee - Utility in Geraldton (Australia)

I have been working at Compass Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Impossible to get fired.
    Slackers get rewarded
    The bigger bully you are the more you'll succeed and move up in the chain of command.
    One way to get into FIFO work

Cons

Not paid properly
    All lower to senior managers treat you like cannon fodder
    All managers prefer to backstab you instead of acting professional and treating your claim or problem
    Intentions are to please client only at the cost of staff
    Extreme high turn over which says alot.

Managers will always pick your clients side no matter what the argument or the story is the client will win hands down.

Managers will always get special treatment (free beer, food, frequent flyer points etc)

Managers get all the credit, managers work less hours than workers.

Needs a change in the entire system

It was a very fun and educational experience.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Compass Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people were very helpful and nice, you were given clear expectations and directions on what to do.

Cons

None really, it was a joy

Just continue to do what you do

Compass group--Toronto

I worked at Compass Group

Pros

-pay is minimum wage in the beginning but you get raises
    -meals are discounted
    -fast paced environment
    -there is paid training

Cons

-the environment can get really busy; may be pressed for time
    -supervisors may rush you
    -time for breaks are short

Overall, it is worth working here to have a good experience of warehouse processes.

I have been working at Compass Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good procurement/warehousing techniques are implemented

Cons

Rotation working schedule, sometimes you think it is good, sometimes bad.

Terrible job - mixture of a leech and slave-camp company that are present from where I come from... (Eastern Europe)

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant  in  Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Compass Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

- great team, we helped each other to survie from one day to another
    - money on time
    - usually two days off per week
    - learned some new skills (barista)

Cons

- minimal wage: we spend many hours of private time on online courses which were ment to be paid but never were, the same was with ridiculous raise (20p per hour) which was denied from us even if all of us met the requirements for it.
    - unfair treatment: new workers got better contracts and wages than us although we still had to train them to do the job!
    - no salary while being sick, zero benefits at work: we were denied to drink or eat food from the place I worked cause the company was saving money on us - they explained it was due to the fact we were a franchise belonging to compass group / medirest and had different policy.
    - huge rotation of staff due to horrible working conditions (in the last 3 weeks I worked 6 people quit, during the half a year I worked more than 30)
    - never enough staff so a small and weaken team had to deal with workload which should be spread among higher amount of staff members (people rather pretended to be sick not earning the money than come to work)
    - poor managment, breaking law: demanding doctors sick note after 2 days of work, sometimes fisnishing shift at 10pm and starting for example 6-7am next day, skipping money check with newly open tills to save time, overal inhuman treatment and expectations (not from supervisors as they were in same bad situation as us, but from head office)
    - it often happened that the "office" paid less hours than you actually worked, even if I counted hours myself they always found a magic way to pay less, so after some time I just stopped counting them as it was useless
    - poor hygiene of workplace, it was clean and everything was working great only during audit days - and it is a hospital!
    - constant problems that were slowing down our work: broken sinks, broken fridges, ice blenders etc.
    - fussy customers: most of them were angry at quality of service and its speed - basicly caused by reasons mentioned above. (There is always a queue of 10-20 people)
    - stupid ideas of how to improve our work presented by big bosses - they only know work from the "sitting in the office" perspective trying to implement some ideas which are totally useless. Few days of observation would be better than creating some solutions from the air...
    - no extra money if you work on weekends or holiday, very poor holiday payment
    - slim chances of progression and zero financial or at least mental motivation to do so.
    - unreachable targets as a part of money saving strategies
    - zero work/income stability as the company used to cut hours or not employ new members off staff to squize as much work from current employees as possible. Only when they reached a dangerously low amount of staff they threw some job adverts to fill up some of the holes.
    - very poor training, sometimes non-existing due to shortage of staff
    - frustrating as you see either your supervisors or collegues to burst out crying occasionally when they cannot cope with a given situation ( manage shift with 2 staff members while there should be 5 or 6 of them as we serve easily over 1000 customers daily)

Just go and work as one of us for a week you will see...
    Maybe try to be a human instead of seeing us only as a tool to create revenue. Even tools break if you dont care about them eventually...
    Worked at Costa, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

Worked full time hours on zero-hour contract as a salesman/barista/kitchen porter for half a year there and staff members already called me veteran which explains it all... Costa as a company may be a nice play to work, but the franchise I worked for just brings the shame to this coffee shop brand. I pity all the good, honest and hardworking people who are still there...

Worked for Compass Group? Contribute to the Community!