ConAgra Foods

Updated 19 November 2014
3.1

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin
Gary M. Rodkin

Pros
  • Work life balance can be good depending on your manager (in 31 reviews)

• Excellent pay and benefits, and the company values are outstanding (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance because of cutting positions to the bone (in 8 reviews)

• Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Experience

Current Employee - SummerGlobal Sourcing in Gurgaon, Haryana
    Current Employee - SummerGlobal Sourcing in Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at ConAgra Foods as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as an Intern in the GLobal Sourcing department in india. It was a good experience. Got to learn from very experienced heads. Very professional work culture. They respect weekends.

Cons

I was commended on my project report and promissed that I would be getting a PPI but then because the HR dept didnt approve I was called back.

The Indian subsidiary is not a great place to work or learn at

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in Bangalore

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Small company, access to people, Good sales training ground

Cons

Very few systems in place, Quality of management expertise is quite low, Poor HR practices

Great place to work as long as you can keep your mouth shut and stay off managements radar.

Former Employee - Production Assistant/Maintenance Mechanic in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Production employees on the floor are some of the best I have ever worked with. Safety is a top priority driven by the production employees. Everyone is always looking out for you to make sure you are working safely. Veterans are always willing to take the time to teach you new things as long as you are willing to learn. Clean facility, requires constant attention over the course of your shift. For the most part everyone helps contribute to this goal. I've heard stories about the corporate world and how they don't care about their employees. I never got that feeling working there. I worked as a production assistant for 6 years and loved it. Then took a position in maintenance (Against my better judgement) and it all went downhill from there.

Cons

12 Hour shifts, some like it some don't. Seniority rules so you will eventually get put on night shift. They allow you to accumulate vacation time, but it is next to impossible to use it. If you are unfortunate to get on an improvement team then you usually have to come in on your day off for meetings. Over managed, the left hand of management doesn't know what the right hand is doing most of the time. It's hard to talk to your boss because they change structure weekly and you can't keep track of who you report to. There are opportunities for advancement as long as you are willing to take the position that management wants you to do. Even if you are qualified and there is an opening, the manager of that department has to like you in order to be considered.

For the most part management will leave you alone if you are doing your job. But watch your back because if they have to throw you to the wolves to cover their mistake they won't hesitate. I developed a severe distrust over the last couple of years because I was coerced into taking a promotion (Against my better judgement) by promising me things they couldn't deliver like training and school. And then being stuck in that position because I was told I wasn't qualified for any other position in the plant. When an employee tells you they don't feel safe in their current position take the time to listen and consider their situation. That is if you care whether or not the person stays or leaves. I was told "management doesn't care if I quit" I didn't want to believe that was true. But I found out on my last day all of my fellow production employees went out of their way to wish me luck. But, none of the managers bothered to even say goodbye to me. I didn't want to quit, but didn't have a choice and I can't say I didn't give you the opportunity to keep me there.

Overall great place to work!

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, OT for supervisors, total income 70k+.
    Not micro managed. Hours are great, flexibility if needed, and great benefits with low costs for salary folks. Obviously only option is 401k so No retirement or pension.

Cons

HR at plant level doesn't take care of hourly workers as they should. Union and management rarely agree causing a high amount of disgruntled employees. When issues are resolved then it's not communicated causing more stress for supervisors especially off shifts. Advancement is not a reality unless relocated.

Love it

Current Employee - Finance in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Finance in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People, Culture, Midwest company with aligned values, integrity

Cons

Food company - growth is hard to come by

Be good to your people

Quality Specialist

Current Employee - Quality Specialist in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Specialist in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, room for growth/development, great goal settings, encourages learning opportunities, good working environment, vacation time

Cons

Not consistent in process, too many meetings, benefits lacking, lack of communication

Keep it consistent and schedule less meetings

Daily Ops Lead

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits. Opportunity to advance within the company.

Cons

There are areas that are not completely clear whose responsible for.

Top level strategies need to be better communicated.

Great Company, low job security

Former Employee - Key Account Manager
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good tools to get new business, supportive management, career guidance

Cons

Wall Street dictates the future of you job, our division was doing great and still had a massive restructure dictated by wall street where many hundreds lost their jobs. Also a move to more HR centered culture which changed the feel of the environment

Keep treating people well, eliminate those whose performance is sub par not just based on potential savings from salary being eliminated

Practice in Patience

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance depending on management/position. Many talented people walking the halls of corporate headquarters. Many chances to integrate with higher levels of the organization. Company is pushing hard with their "Teach and Trust" motto which is great for learning in most cases. Good employee resources available.

Cons

Tough to climb the ladder at times - Top heavy organization. "Sugar-coating" occurs at various levels over and over again. Unbalanced resource allotment across functions - very heavily staffed in some places while over-working employees in others. Dealing with an "Art" vs. "Science" crossroads where too much authority rests within marketing personnel hands.

Let bad news go to the top where decisions can be made to remedy. Don't overlook local talent - top business schools does not equal top talent. Even out the allocation of resources, (eliminate multiple managers for same individuals) and the whole organization will benefit from improved outlooks.

Not Bad

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Hermiston, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Hermiston, OR (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, starting salary, and chance for upward advancement.

Cons

Shift work, too much expected

None