Condé Nast

Condé Nast Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Condé Nast President and CEO Chuck Townsend

Chuck Townsend

Pros
  • Great benefits (although some of them were cut down)(in 13 reviews)

• Dedicated and smart people- some of the best in the publishing business(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to look out for yourself to maintain a work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• very long hours, horrible compensation, small/cramped workspace(in 14 reviews)

Hectic, intense yet learned a lot

Fashion Features Trainee (Former Employee) Mumbai

ProsYou learn a lot. You get tougher.

ConsVery snobby co-workers, biast behaviour.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company, wonderful staff and opportunities abound.

ConsLots of time sitting at a desk

Incredible opportunities and projects.... and with it comes hard work and politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIncredible brands and some of the most brilliant people I have ever worked with. This brand as a whole puts their all into what they create and it shows. You will gain access to some of the most inspiring projects and really learn alot (no matter entry or sr. level)

ConsThere is a bit of an "old boys club"/nepotism type mentality that can be a bit obnoxious. You will have to learn their political game here to stay afloat. Having a strong personality, with a grounded sense of self is always a good compass. Being a traditional publishing house, they are still a bit slower to move in terms of how to engage with the newer media platforms. There is movement, and not much further off from their main competition, but still behind all the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementI only wish upper mgmnt would put greater emphasis in nurturing and fostering their talent. This company draws some of the top emerging talent in the publishing industry. Its a shame to see it wasted by not embracing the "foster from within" mentality. Too often I have seen incredibly bright and upcoming talent, have to leave in order to get to their next career level due to old and broken management red tape. Its a shame and quite telling when you see career records of most of their employees, with stints off and on at this company for a span of 10-15 years....

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern at The New Yorker

At the New Yorker (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat offices, great teams.
    It's a really cool place for an internship: they give you interesting work, they give good advice and explain theirs jobs.
    They have special conferences for interns where management from different magazines of the group come and talk about their experience.

ConsAs an intern I don't have much to say for cons.

Fashion Intern

Fashion Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsTreated very well by everyone on the staff. Was able to build my own contacts from speaking with PR reps on a daily basis. Learned a lot about sample trafficking. Staff really seemed to care about my personal growth

ConsThe position had a daily stipend of $12 a day. Because I interned many times a week and was still in school, it was hard to find another part time job to compensate

One of the best places to work!

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe benefits are amazing and the corporate culture is fantastic. A great place to work!

ConsA lot of people have to leave and come back in order to get promoted or get a raise. Not always, but a good number from observation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould be more flexible on work from home arrangements and job sharing.

Was great.

Associate Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood pay, glamour, access to fancy parties and celebs, good food, plus it's fun to work on intellectually challenging stuff. Access to higher-ups was also fine.

ConsSeemed to be some distance between plans and what actually gets carried out, lots of vague ideas for future projects get left in the dust, never really revisited.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's fine the way it is.

Corporate but depending what team, fun

Freelancers (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsBig company, creative people, hard working

ConsLots of overhead-- very hard to get things that are inefficient changed, with the loss of interns there has been a major blow to the assistants

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company needs interns-- find a way to pay them!

They expect your peak performance

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsColleagues at the top of the profession

ConsTime expectations are very demanding

Advice to Senior Managementpromote more from within

one of the best

Photo Editor (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prostop editors, top photographers, good team

Conslots of work and not enough career opportunities

Worked for Condé Nast? Contribute to the Community!