Corel

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Berquist

I grew in my profession working at Corel

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsVery talented and open minded front line people to work with, lots to learn from them.
    Advanced and efficient processes.
    Very good products with passionate users.
    Flexibility in work hours as long as work gets done.

ConsSome of the high level management has not proven strong leadership skills.
    People are often laid off on political reasons, overlooking the performance and importance of their role in the company. It can happen to anybody.
    Stressful environment to work in due to multiple layoffs, lack of trust in management and strategy and job uncertainty.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the company growth, product quality and the employees.

Cheap is already too expensive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAged but nice products and good people

ConsRiding nice products to death without any (or minimal) investment and basically no support, consumers are left with bugs and other issues no one cares about

Advice to Senior ManagementGo get a more consumer-friendly strategy: acquiring companies and leeching off their brand value is a great ROI but will ultimately kill the company's reputation

Disappointing because it could be so much more.

Senior Web Producer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsPeople are friendly and the hours are flexible. Some managers let you work from home once or twice a week.

ConsCompany is short sighted. The focus is always on revenue for THAT quarter. Lack of employee development along with annual layoffs make it a difficult place to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider investing in your employees and keep salaries in line with inflation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very challenging, exciting but very low company appreciation of its employees

ProsInteresting technology, amazing people to work with.

Conslow investment in research and development. company owned by investment firm, all the care about is profitability

Advice to Senior Managementshow interest in what the teams are doing, reward people for their work. reinvest in research and development.

People are great but . . .

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThe best part of this company is the employees. A relaxed but professional environment combined with friendly staff makes going to work enjoyable. People, including middle management, are working hard, and everyone is treated with respect.

ConsThe worst thing about Corel is the VC ownership cloud hanging over it. The staff never knows when the next re-org is coming, so that ownership can take a little more money out of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a tough road ahead. Take the pulse of the worker bees more often. Keep being honest.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood place to start career

Consnot a lot of direction

Good place to learn about business operations

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Taipei (Taiwan)

ProsIt demonstrates how a M&A based company runs a business.

ConsIt ignore core technology development. The organization changes frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck to you.

Politics everywhere.

ProsGood amount of resources and some really talented people.

ConsPolitics (and a LOT of it)
    Constant layoffs
    Poor pay in regard to industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people more than the bottom line

Great products, wrong VC

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsBrilliant people across all teams, serving many great customers and been around for over 25 years.

ConsVC based, sucking up all the money and leaving nothing on the table for expansion or growth.

sales manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat culture and work/life balance. Good pay for a small consumer package company.

ConsVenture Capitalism driven - cash out as much as possible. No growth plan or long term strategy. Very low innovation and R&D investments. Cost reduction mode is on for a while....

Advice to Senior Managementready cons

Worked for Corel? Contribute to the Community!