Corsair Reviews

Updated 14 October 2014
2.5

Andy Paul

Pleasant & Friendly

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Fremont, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Corsair as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I have been here for about 2 weeks now and everyone seems very pleasant and friendly to work with. The pay is OK too. Corsair has great products, which is why I wanted to work for them in the first place. People here are available to answer questions if you have any, which helps a lot. From my experience so far, Corsair seems to really care about employees and the people they hire. Nice place to work at. Freeway access is great too.

Cons

The only Con that I can think of right now is people having no consideration when walking up and down the stairs, which creates a lot noise.

Great Experience So Far!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Corsair full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at Corsair have been wonderful to work with. Everyone is pretty laid back but also has a sense of urgency when it comes down to business. I am really enjoying my time here, the CEO seems very friendly and has a great sense of humor during the company meetings. Also, I LOVE the fact that we have quarterly functional meetings with the CEO and a small group of employees were we are free to ask any questions to the CEO. Management team at Corsair want to see you grow as an individual and take on more responsibility as your time progresses at Corsair.

Cons

Only cons is the pay can be a little higher to meet market but overall pretty decent.

Great potential but mismanaged

I have been working at Corsair

Pros

Company has great potential due to extremelly passionate and dedicated employees. It is trying to reinvent itself and grow into a more "established" company but at what cost...

Cons

The cost of the change is on the employees... Long working hours, frequent strategy/course changes, a distant upper management that struggles to relate with employees, all this leading to an inability to execute in a timely fashion on product launches - which makes it even harder on us, the employees.

There is no such thing as perfection. Squeezing every last drop of energy out of the employees to try to reach this goal will only exhaust the team.

Terrible company to work

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Corsair full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Close to my home only

Cons

Worst work/life balance, no support from management. Poor benefits - 10 PTO/year etc.

Treat your employees better

Successful in spite of itself.

I have been working at Corsair full-time

Pros

Top shelf talent. Passionate up-and-comers. Opportunities to advance for people with the ambition to go after them.

Cons

Total lack of accountability. Serious problems will be identified and fixed, but the root cause is never addressed. Managers and up largely only interested in covering their own mistakes. CEO doesn't lead, just meddles.

Turn the CEO into a figurehead and let the COO handle the real work. Figure out a re-org and stick with it. Start seriously pushing for accountability from all management and figure out how you prioritize spending.

Invest in the damn company instead of just cheaping out on everything internally.

TERRIBLE COMPANY FOR WORK!!

I worked at Corsair full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office is close to my home

Cons

Terrible working atmosphere with no hard working appreciation. Cheap company with bad benefits. Try to avoid working for this company. It was a nightmare for me.

Appreciate your employees!!!!

The Small guy trying to play big.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Corsair full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, great co-workers, at certain level/departments (sales only) work-life balance. Good looking offices, great social events like Christmas party, summer picnic.

Cons

Salaries, upper management, information not being shared, no training at all, no people skills as a requirement to be a manager, no coaching, no career development, no manager/leader to admire/follow.

Put more thinking behind how your managers are trating/develop their people/teams.. Invest in your people and you will retain talent and knowledge giving you the competitive advantage that you are looking in your products.

Good intentions vs scary bad senior management

Current Employee - Professional in Fremont, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Professional in Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Corsair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and passionate employees who work hard.

Cons

Horrible senior management. CEO is cheap and strange, recently preferring to spend more time off on safari than at work. New COO is a nightmare. She is the worst micro-manager I have ever seen, whose lack of humility is only exceeded by her willingness to make "snap decisions" without understanding the facts. New board (following investment by Francisco Partners) has made things worse.

Do not look for empowerment at Corsair. Do not expect to be compensated fairly, or that annual reviews will have any relationship to reality. Nobody here knows how to manage people.

Start looking beyond HP for senior management experience.

Outstanding potential, unique culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Corsair full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company still has a small company feel sometimes so you can usually see the direct results of your efforts very quickly.

Lots of potential for growth for those who can show results quickly. Lots of good people in management who want the company to succeed and dedicate tons of their personal time to that effort.

Passionate people are rewarded well - I frequently see people who put in extra efforts and come up with ideas get promoted or get extra attention and responsibilities.

Old-fashioned, tightly run when it comes to spending. Even in the worst environments (and in a memory business that happens frequently) the company has maintained profitability through belt-tightening.

The culture is great - a can-do attitude is present in all the best employees and managers. From the CEO to our lowest hourly employee, those who are willing to get work done will go far.

Cons

As some have mentioned, work-life balance is a struggle. Because the company is run so tightly, frequently you have to wear multiple hats. For some people this is not the type of environment they enjoy, as it requires a willingness to help out in things that may not be "your job".

Salary could be more competitive, especially at the lower levels.

Bonus and profit sharing plan is somewhat stingy and was changed a few years ago to be so.

Our hit-rate on managers and executives brought in from other companies hasn't been stellar. Some real stars have shown up, but it seems more have fizzled out and brought in their giant egos, cashed their giant salaries, and then eventually been given giant exit packages. Too many executives who thought they were amazing but didn't show any real results.

Refine compensation to be more competitive - especially bonus plan. Tie bonus/profit sharing plan directly to objectives for that individual employee rather than the group profit sharing.

Refine hiring process for executives - some have been pretty unimpressive, to say the least.

Mixed Feelings...

I have been working at Corsair

Pros

Corsair has extremely talented employees
    It is a well respected company within the industry
    Corsair has high quality and premium products

Cons

They pile extra work on you for no extra pay or promotion.

Management positions are filled with candidates from another company. They do not promote within.

Too many layers of management

Poor morale