Costco Wholesale

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.8 1,153 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful(in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees(in 164 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits(in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time(in 46 reviews)

1,153 Employee Reviews

Depends on the managers

Administration (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay, benefits are pretty good. Co workers are wonderful. If you are one of the "chosen ones" you can really learn a lot.

ConsFavoritism and nepotism run rampant. If you are not one of the favorites, your chances of succeeding dwindle pretty quickly. Open positions are usually filled before the posting even goes up. The most qualified individual doesn't always get the job especially in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSarcasm and humiliation are not ways to get workers to do a better job. Some managers are allowed to bully their way through the day and even though it is common knowledge, heads turn the other way. Retaliation is prevalent but difficult to prove. The two on one approach when an employee is in trouble is intimidating and demeaning. The employee should have their liaison present as well.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company to work for

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) Issaquah, WA (US)

ProsJob Security
    Great Benefits
    Really understand the merchandising business and Costco mentality
    Low turn over rate

ConsImpossible to get fired -- which is great, but that also means a lot of people stop pulling their weight.
    Slow to move up, because no one leaves
    Strict schedules
    Only a 3% pay increase cap in merchandising for salaried employees

Advice to Senior ManagementMerchandising needs more staff. Executive management projects huge growth, but with the exact same number of staff.

You get what you put in!

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people, lots of challenges, opportunity & second chances

ConsSlow to grow in some areas, corporate ladder can be difficult (but what company isn't?)

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for everything you do!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

les than a year

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Issaquah, WA (US)

Prosgood values, great people, loyalty to employees

Conslack of leadership, lack of direction lack of accountability

Advice to Senior Managementtraining, leadership, direction, career path

Good pay for hard work.

Tire Installer (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

Pros-Compensation
    -Perks/Benefits package
    -Equality and Opportunity offered
    -Respect from upper management
    -Instant overtime 1.5x pay on Sundays
    -Paid on holiday and not having to work

ConsLike any job, you will encounter some people that you may not get along with 100 %, but that goes without saying.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Make sure to stay focused on keeping your co-workers happy and we will stay as productive as we always are.

Overall, my experience at Costco has been fairly good.

Cashier (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsThe pay and the benefits are absolutely amazing. They both make it difficult to ever want to find another job.

ConsCostco seems to have changed from focusing on the employees and the members, to just focusing on the numbers and whatever it takes get it done, even if people aren't being taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees and the members are the ones that make this business possible. Turn your focus back to them and your company will expand farther and continue to grow exponentially. Without them and their support and commitment to you, Costco will begin to fade.

Better than I thought, but needs improvment

Cashier (Current Employee) Orem, UT (US)

ProsGreat employees, heath insurance, 401k and other misc benefits are great! i paid $120 a month for health, vision, dental, 401k, for my entire family. This is a secure corporation. As long as your not wildly inappropriate you will never get fired. Members constantly brag about how they love your employer.

ConsTraining is really bad. It's such a busy place that you are thrown into any department with little or no training. Communication is very poor. They profess to have an open door policy, which they do, but communication with middle management is sparse and needed. Really hard to move up. Seniority is king. They say skills and performance reign supreme, but tenure is weighed heavily into that decision.

Advice to Senior Managementhave more than one performance review a year. Pay attention to those who are excelling, and use them as trainers/team leads/supervisors.

Not as good as people think

Cashier (Current Employee)

Prosyou do not have to weat a uniform. Pay is decent

ConsManagement- THey will let just anyone become a manager. No proper management training is done. You go from pushing carts to running the show. It is a popularity contest.

Great company to work for.

Cashier (Former Employee) Laguna Niguel, CA (US)

ProsGood benefits, Good perks, nice people and management. Customer Service is key to their success.

ConsLow salaries, gets a bit tedious at times standing for entire shift.

7 Years employee.

Meat Wrapper (Current Employee)

ProsAwesome Pay, vacation pay and sick pay, benefit.

ConsMangers and supervisor sucks! they have no clue how to support disablitlies All they do is just work and make super easy money and take advantage of them, baiting them, abusing them and loves to be a liar to win! Favorite to play mind games, and abuse of power. I had no supervisor for 2 years at meat dept, my manager was smart, and loves to being dumb, there was no management and supervisor or communications. I had no clue what am i doing, amazinly i learned all by myself without no helpers ;) I had to bring 12-16 loads everyday by myself, and i had to do the road show, and cleaning and load at same time, it was brutal. I never have time to hang out with my friends or gym, i was working extremely hard, my whole body became exhausted, over work, My advice is dont work at meat dept, a lot of trickery and mystery. Trust me.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisor and managers , they were untrained, all they have the powers over you peroid. Costco have no supporter for disabilities. If manager or supervisor arent that good, they should demote and re work and relearn how to manage again in my opinion.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!