Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,312 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 189 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 65 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company to work for, they are fair and treat their employees well.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Costco rewards those with a good sense of urgency and the willingness to learn. Its a stable company with great pay and bonus scales.

Cons

Training is more hands on, not a lot of book work. May be difficult who dont learn best on their feet.

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unlimited growth, managers are willing to work with schedule, great pay increases and bonuses. The benefits are best in the business.

Cons

There is nothing wrong with costco. Just work hard and don't call off. Costco is a career, topping out at 25/hr after 4-5 years is amazing. Management pay is just ridiculous. 24/hr starting out as a SUPERVISOR!

Keep up the good work.

Great company

Current Employee - Meat Supervisor in Brandon, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Meat Supervisor in Brandon, FL (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Good pay, and Nice bonuses

Cons

Tight payroll
    Have to work weekends

Great company, terrible schedules

Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, I really enjoy working there because my co-workers make the job easier by being so friendly and happy. Great benefits.

Cons

When applying for a promotion or another position, they consider more your seniority then your qualities.
    Terrible schedules: you'll only know your schedule less than a week prior and you'll work EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY ALL DAY until you get a full time position, which may take more than 2 years!

I think management should be more considerate and thoughtful about their employees. I have two kids and I would like to have a weekend day off once in a while. If they were more considerate they would offer rotations on weekends, once they really don't need all employees at the warehouse all day on weekends. Very often you come to work and they "ask" you to go home because they are cutting hours.

Costco is an amazing place to work

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Harrisburg, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Harrisburg, PA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Great Pay, Friendly Work Environment, Opportunity, Management CARES!

Cons

Takes years for promotions, You have to start out on the bottom regardless of former experience or education

People with great educational backgrounds should be considered more over employee's with years in the business

Just great.

Former Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant)
    Former Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work here is because they have a ton of employee benefits, there is also career growth available. They have the best salary for the job type, and will keep you busy at all times.

Cons

Honestly I found nothing wrong while I was working there, it just wasn't my job type, and of course the salary was nothing to brag about.

Great job. Keep up the good work.

Great company with room for movement.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They Promote from within primarily
    Great benefits
    Good work-life balance at the corporate level or non-management at the warehouse level.
    Excellent pay

Cons

Dealing with politics and under trained managers.
    Time is not spent to properly groom management since the company is growing so fast.
    Basic principles are not upheld through all levels of management, sometimes it is open to interpretation

Stick to the roots of what Costco teaches you.
    Abide by the handbook, don't interpret to your benefit.
    Consistency within all levels of management.
    Lack of movement into upper management unless you are willing to relocate, hard when you have a family.

Great company that cares about its employess

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Bloomfield Township, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Bloomfield Township, MI (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits & room for advancement

Cons

You have to have open availability

Good place to work

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They have a very flexible hours and can accommodate other activities outside of work life. The time off policies are fair, there are some restrictions such as inventory week. The leadership is there just need management to train the employees correctly, so that they are able to act accordingly to certain situations. The environment is fast pace at times, but will have an occasional slow day or week. The culture is friendly oriented meaning that coworkers are always happy to help each other out if possible. The benefits are awesome.

Cons

As like any retail jobs you have some good managers that know how to run the business, but some that don't have a clue of what to do. Promoting is unconventional meaning they promote from within but promote the wrong people sometimes.

Take more time to train the employees better.