Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,298 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 62 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company to work for, they are fair and treat their employees well.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Costco rewards those with a good sense of urgency and the willingness to learn. Its a stable company with great pay and bonus scales.

Cons

Training is more hands on, not a lot of book work. May be difficult who dont learn best on their feet.

The Pinnacle of Retail/Wholesaling

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Initial pay is well above minimum wage, the opportunity for advancement is almost inevitable with time and experience. Workers are great, pay is great, student program is very flexible.

Cons

Taxing enviroment, you'll find yourself quite tired at the end of a day. The member's can also be pushy because they feel entitled with their memberships. Feedback is rare.

Communication needs a lot of work. Every worker should have the chance to become a key part of the business. I have worked at Costco for four years and rarely hear feedback outside of my reviews. I am a hard working business administration student and my degree has not yet been discussed with management. A student with a pending degree and a lot of seniority should have a very good idea where he is going with the company. Fantastic business nonetheless, but this and the above "cons" do need attention.

Good Company

Former Employee - Membership Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Membership Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay and great benefits. Promotes from within, so managers went through the same process as you would.

Cons

Few managers are not competent in what they're doing.

Rather than simply manage, grow and develop your employees

costco

Former Employee - Bakery Wrapper in Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Bakery Wrapper in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good pay good benefits for working not much hours

Cons

people treat badly new employees

be real.

Stressful work environment at times, but superior pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Licensed Optician
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is better than any other service job out there, and the benefits are hard to match. This company takes care of their employees.

Cons

Stressful dealing when the stores get busy, and when customers have memberships they tend to be more demanding. Costco doesn't operate like most stores so people get upset when things don't go their way. Normal of any customer service job I suppose, but exaggerated by strict buying policies and procedures. The lenient return policy also means people try to get away with returning very old or broken items.

Changing the upper management at individual locations so frequently prevents any employee from ever being comfortable. I've been through 3 warehouse managers in my time at my store and every new manager feels the need to change policies or make unnecessary changes just for the sake of making changes. Some changes are frustrating and inconsiderate to the longtime employees. You don't need to change the manager every 2 years!

Excellent place to work for students as well as mature adults.

Former Employee - Front End Assistant
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for cross-training and advancement. Above-average pay and excellent benefits. Your hard work is noticed.

Cons

Not a place for lazy or unmotivated people. If you don't pull your weight, you won't last.

Upper management should spend a little more time on the floor.

The last job you'll ever have

Former Employee - Floor Assistant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Floor Assistant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive wages, equal opportunity, training, Career oriented, they ensure you'll be there for the long haul with raises based in hours worked and opportunities to work in any sector of any warehouse.

Cons

Since no established employees leave, only the lower tier positions are available for those starting out and for their fist several years.

It seemed as if people, even weak staff were rewarded for hanging around wit he company based on hours worked, rather than ability to perform.

What an incredible experience!

Current Employee - Costco Night Stocker in Tacoma, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Costco Night Stocker in Tacoma, WA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was great, managers were helpful and constructive, and there was a great teamwork ethic throughout. There was a great atmosphere and it seemed like the company really appreciated its employees, through potlucks and free food often.

Cons

Part-time 5 days a week in the middle of the night, with non-consecutive off days was a bit rough on one's sanity. Seemed like sometimes there wasn't enough staff to get work done.

Keep doin' what you're doin'!

Excellent company to work for.

Current Employee - Baker in Nanuet, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Baker in Nanuet, NY (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Costco is a great company to work for. their time off policy is absolutely wonderful and has a college student; it is extremely generous because you can decide not to work during school and still have a job to come back too in the summer. The health benefits is wonderful and they promote within first before they go look for outside help, which means you have a great chance of getting a promotion.

Cons

The Supervisors sometimes can act like a jerk like they run the place, which is funny because a good amount of the mangers doesn't act like that especially the warehouse manager. Depending on the department you work in, everything sometimes can seem like a monopoly; like if somebody didn't complete their job from the day before its going to be a rough start for you the next day because you have to pick up from where they left off from.

Be more hands on and listen to the little guys sometimes and watch the supervisors because they try to get away with everything and blame it on the associates, which is horrible. And when the department is backed up, you have to roll up your sleeves and get in there to help out which in turn would make the associates work hard so everything could get on track.

A grest one

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a very great pay that makes you happy and the benefits are wonderful there.

Cons

I feel like some tomes they are very busy so you have to find a way to cope with shifts.

The only advice I have is for the people in management to look at different people who apply.