Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,289 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 62 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

This is an amazing company to work for and I would recommend it to anyone.

Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Orland Park, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Orland Park, IL (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are definitely great hours and fantastic benefits even at the part time level. They are good at promoting from within so it is not difficult to move up the ladder. There are so many jobs at the warehouse and they are decently lenient at letting you try new things.

Cons

Because the pay is so good, people tend to stay in their positions so sometimes getting promoted can be difficult. Also, since having a degree is not required to move up in the company, some staff are not actually qualified to do their own positions and don't always perform it as well as they could be.

Don't forget where you came from. You didn't start off as a manager, so make sure you treat the hourlies well. They are the cogs in the machine.

The Pinnacle of Retail/Wholesaling

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Initial pay is well above minimum wage, the opportunity for advancement is almost inevitable with time and experience. Workers are great, pay is great, student program is very flexible.

Cons

Taxing enviroment, you'll find yourself quite tired at the end of a day. The member's can also be pushy because they feel entitled with their memberships. Feedback is rare.

Communication needs a lot of work. Every worker should have the chance to become a key part of the business. I have worked at Costco for four years and rarely hear feedback outside of my reviews. I am a hard working business administration student and my degree has not yet been discussed with management. A student with a pending degree and a lot of seniority should have a very good idea where he is going with the company. Fantastic business nonetheless, but this and the above "cons" do need attention.

The last job you'll ever have

Former Employee - Floor Assistant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Floor Assistant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive wages, equal opportunity, training, Career oriented, they ensure you'll be there for the long haul with raises based in hours worked and opportunities to work in any sector of any warehouse.

Cons

Since no established employees leave, only the lower tier positions are available for those starting out and for their fist several years.

It seemed as if people, even weak staff were rewarded for hanging around wit he company based on hours worked, rather than ability to perform.

Stressful work environment at times, but superior pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Licensed Optician
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is better than any other service job out there, and the benefits are hard to match. This company takes care of their employees.

Cons

Stressful dealing when the stores get busy, and when customers have memberships they tend to be more demanding. Costco doesn't operate like most stores so people get upset when things don't go their way. Normal of any customer service job I suppose, but exaggerated by strict buying policies and procedures. The lenient return policy also means people try to get away with returning very old or broken items.

Changing the upper management at individual locations so frequently prevents any employee from ever being comfortable. I've been through 3 warehouse managers in my time at my store and every new manager feels the need to change policies or make unnecessary changes just for the sake of making changes. Some changes are frustrating and inconsiderate to the longtime employees. You don't need to change the manager every 2 years!

Excellent place to work for students as well as mature adults.

Former Employee - Front End Assistant
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for cross-training and advancement. Above-average pay and excellent benefits. Your hard work is noticed.

Cons

Not a place for lazy or unmotivated people. If you don't pull your weight, you won't last.

Upper management should spend a little more time on the floor.

A grest one

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a very great pay that makes you happy and the benefits are wonderful there.

Cons

I feel like some tomes they are very busy so you have to find a way to cope with shifts.

The only advice I have is for the people in management to look at different people who apply.

Amazing!!!! Great place to work!!!!

Current Employee - Membership in Hoover, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Membership in Hoover, AL (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits that we have access to is TOP OF THE LINE. Added with the hourly pay, I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

Cons

There aren't any cons that I'm aware of. It is plenty of opportunity to move up if you apply yourself.

Keep up the good work.

Costco is fun and team oriented. Amazing supportive management

Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Independence, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Independence, MO (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Time & 1/2 on Sundays, paid holidays, full health, dental and optical benefits for part timers. Starting wage far above minimum wage. Wonderful corporate culture. Safe, professional, supportive environment. The bosses and supervisors are all pretty cool and hardworking. There are super opportunities to advance into management as well as tons of opportunities to cross train in different departments.

Cons

Retail, closing shifts. Time away from my kids. Schedule changes with very little notice. Dealing with demanding members. Also, very demanding physical labor.

Treat "underlings" with respect. For the most part, all of my supervisors and managers have been very good.

I love this company, will retire here.

Current Employee - Accountant in Issaquah, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Accountant in Issaquah, WA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, great co-workers and flexible schedule.

Cons

Nepotism prevalent in hiring practice.

Promote from within, train.. train... train.

Great benefits, little to no upward mobility

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Rochester, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Rochester, MN (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, high wages with little education.

Cons

No upward mobility. Favorite contest. Based on time put in not merit.

do not keep managers in manging roles if they clearly cannot handle it.