Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,544 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Response from Long Term Employee

Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's funny to read "Con" company critiques & reviews from employees who have only been employed for a limited period of time.....the key to success with Costco is to "work with purpose", keep the chatter down, don't complain and be thankful for the benefits and pay structure. As the company continues to expand and "crush" the competition (with stock soaring along with profits and revenue), there is significant need for employees with a very positive outlook, gratefulness, compassion for fellow employees and members and an incredibly strong work ethic. Many of these traits have waned over the years with younger employees and those who are new to Costco simply have not experienced "expectations" in the workplace which is why so many "seasonals" find themselves not being called back after January layoffs or re-assigned to the Member Service as a last resort to prove their worth to the organization. With over 20,000 applicants per new warehouse for less than 200 positions, there a many folks who would value a full suite of benefits, reasonable pay, not a real mentally challenging work environment and a pretty good crew to work with. Just start working after you clock-in, and continue at a good pace throughout your shift and keep your idle chatter to yourself.....breaks are mandatory and no one should go without the two 15 minute rest periods, period....call corporate if policies are not being followed.

Cons

Significant growth is a challenge in any organization and many at Costco are on a fast track to the "Peter Principle" however, the alternative of bringing in supervisory/management talent from the "outside" would derail the entire culture plus, there's always a "reason" why someone is out looking for work and most of the time, they were no longer wanted by their previous employer.....very few "outside" hires directly into supervisory or management roles at Costco every work out for a variety of reasons.

Supervisory and management professional development. Eliminate perceived and real "favoritism" at all costs, tie employee development to management bonuses, practices will improve "overnight". Be more like many Fortune 500 companies (Amazon, Pepsi, etc.) and bring management rotation down through the ranks by moving promising candidates around the country, this will will serve to remove the "silos" which have been allowed to develop at the regional level. Seasoned Members who have shopped at multiple locations around the country consistently comment on how different Costco's and employee moral is depending on geographic location.

Fantastic Company

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid benefits, reasonable job security, and a competitive pay scale have kept me happy in my now nearly three years at Costco. They continually try to hire and promote from within, so it helps to get a foot in the door anywhere you can.

Cons

Time-off requests are pretty strict, and any time off needed has to be requested well in advance. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's something you should consider.

Working for Costco was a wonderful experience!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Albany, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Albany, OR (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

The employees are intelligent and hardworking; the employees enjoy working at Costco; there is opportunity to to advance with respect to pay and job description; the supervisors treat the workers with respect; the products that Costco offers it's customers are high quality, and the pricing is enjoyed by the customers.

Cons

I'm not aware of any cons. However, this is a physically demanding job, and I was told that some emplyees left their positions due to the physical demands.

Give your employees some feedback, regarding their performance. My position was seasonal/temporary. Though I don't need a "pat on the back," I think it would be helpful to give all of your employees some feedback, whether it be positive and/or constructive criticism. Moral is already very high at Costco, but I think that providing feedback could be very useful. Thank you.

Great

Current Employee - Licensed Optician
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company who really takes care of their employees, you are paid well and have great benefits, but I do miss Sinegal and his people philosophy... I think we lost that.

Cons

Management are not allowed to fraternize but then that causes a lack of communication and closeness. I think that a company needs that so that you can have true mentorships.

It would be great if you showed more interest in your employees.

great place to work

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

the starting wage is excellent, paid days off.. bonuses and great benefits

Cons

retail store so nights and weekend are a must.

management need to work a little bit more harder on the floor instead of pencil pushing

I love Costco, I am treated like I make a difference!

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Wharton, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Wharton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, even for part time employees. Treated like you are a valued employee. Great potential to move up if you so desire. Many different jobs available. Great as a part time job. Pay starts out much higher than minimum wage. Steady raises, 401K, great health benefits at an extremely affordable cost. Dental insurance actually pays for a lot, unlike the dental at my full time job. Family oriented, compassionate, flexible schedule. Persons with disabilities are given a chance to work, beginning with a seasonal job. I have worked here part time for 10 years now. Most members are great. It's like a family.

Cons

Must be able to work almost all weekends. Some supervisors and mangers are lazy and the power has gone to their head, but not most of them.

Review supervisors and managers on a regular basis. Maybe have the employees do a rating of them. The employees will have a more accurate view of them as they work for them on a regular basis. Things run differently when the store manager is not there to watch and l isten to what is going on.

Tire Installer

Current Employee - Tire Installer in West Palm Beach, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Tire Installer in West Palm Beach, FL (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

I have been with the company for 5 years and must say Costco is an amazing company to work for. They offer wide range of job opportunity and growth within the company which makes it worth while working for them. There are shifts for just about anyone from early stocking to light night stocking and so forth.

Cons

I would have to say the biggest con to this company would be gossip. Gossip in this company runs rampant and will just about kill your moral if you fall into that trap. Management is another hurdle that you deal with people who were promoted within that never had managerial experience leads sometimes to unethical treatment of others and favoritism.

I would focus on recognizing employees more for there efforts as dealing with the volume of customers on a daily basis can take a toll on a person. Sometimes it is a great feeling to know your efforts are appreciated and seen by the upper staff. I would also suggest working just as hard as your employees I have seen where managers do not work there 40 hrs and cut early more than once a week.

GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Benefits, great coworkers

Cons

low hours for part time during slow period