Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,255 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees (in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

I work for Costco for over 14 years

Current Employee - Vault Clerk, Back Up Payroll, Sales Audit & Just About Anything Else  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vault Clerk, Back Up Payroll, Sales Audit & Just About Anything Else in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Pay, Benefits and a lifetime of friends. Oh yeah free Executive Membership!! Did I mention that the benefits are FREAKING AWESOME!!

Cons

Not that much communication from management. Too many people want to be chiefs but not enough indians.

Take a minute or so and listen to your employees. We see what you don't take the time to see and listen to.

A great company to work for

Current Employee - Major Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Major Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, growth for the future.

Cons

Depending on what warehouse you work in if hourly, can become a boys or girls club. Hard to move up if this happens.

Better screening process for assistant managers and senior managers. Not everyone who has that position deserves it.

Great company while in school

Pros

they are flexible with your school schedule and are very helpful in finding time to make it work. Great benefits and a decent wage to survive on.

Cons

the management can be tough at times and are difficult to work with. they want you to work extra hours but don't really help you with time off. They require a few months notice on time off which is pretty tough with urgent issues.

I would listen to your employees and thank them once in a while. They will appreciate it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Phenomenal Company

Current Employee - Costco  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Costco in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

I just embarked on my career at Costco and it is an excellent company to work for. I am prior military and I researched my next chapter in life and all arrows pointed to Costco. I heavily researched the business model, founders, code of ethics, history, performance, etc., and it was evident that Costco upheld and operated operations based on theses principles. You cannot beat the compensation package considering the retail industry. You get to interact with members and provide that exceptional member service that Costco prides itself on. My leadership team is phenomenal -- I am impressed with their dedication/leadership/expertise.

Advice for potential team members: It is difficult to be apart of the Costco team but if you get an opportunity:

Know the company, hit the ground running, work hard, and work harder because the room for growth is exponential. You will work hard but Costco will take care of you. Costco is heading in the right direction because the foundation is solid!

Cons

I have no Cons to input.

None

I have worked at Costco for over 10yrs and have had a great experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Clovis, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clovis, CA (US)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and 41k. Retail hours are good- If you work weekends your off by 8 at the latest and paid holidays off.

Cons

It's retail so you have to work weekends. Costco Need to reevaluate management and supervisors.

Don't try to make others look bad to cover up your mistakes.

Stop hiring family.

Great company, they really do care about their employees.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Leesburg, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Leesburg, VA (US)

Pros

Management will listen, college retention program, great pay, part time benefits, free executive membership.

Cons

Little to no upward movement, nepotism, management vs employee problems, can be inflexible with scheduling.

Stop hiring people you know and give the hard workers a chance to move up.

Its a great company with great benefits.

Current Employee - Forklift Driver  in  Puyallup, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Forklift Driver in Puyallup, WA (US)

Pros

Its a good place to work they take care of there employees very well. There is lots of advancement opportunity and the managers all the way up to the CEO are really good people. Non salary employees get 2 bonuses a year.

Cons

You work weekends its retail after all. It used to take 4 years to top out now it takes closer to 10. I'm not sure if I would have stayed if it took me that long to top out.

Fair pay with great benefits

Former Employee - Tire Installer  in  Superior, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Tire Installer in Superior, CO (US)

Pros

Benefits and reasonable compensation

Cons

Corporate atmosphere, hard to move up

Great company - but it takes a long time to advance (because nobody leaves!)

Former Employee - Marketing Representative  in  Issaquah, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Issaquah, WA (US)

Pros

Good work/life balance, decent salary, good benefits, flexible.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities, lack of training, benefits are touted as being great - but they are great for a RETAILER, which is what, bottom line, Costco is. Time off policies at corporate are silly around the holidays - in my opinion "black-outs" should be reserved for those departments working directly with the warehouses during the busy holiday season. No part-time opportunities available at the corporate office.

More training, cross-training and opportunity for growth, as well as part-time opportunities at the corporate level are needed!

Great family/ team environment!!

Pros

There is always work available if your willing to put in the time and effort

Cons

Sometimes the training in a certain position leaves a lot to be desired

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!