Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,268 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees (in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Phenomenal Company

Current Employee - Costco  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Costco in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for less than a year

Pros

I just embarked on my career at Costco and it is an excellent company to work for. I am prior military and I researched my next chapter in life and all arrows pointed to Costco. I heavily researched the business model, founders, code of ethics, history, performance, etc., and it was evident that Costco upheld and operated operations based on theses principles. You cannot beat the compensation package considering the retail industry. You get to interact with members and provide that exceptional member service that Costco prides itself on. My leadership team is phenomenal -- I am impressed with their dedication/leadership/expertise.

Advice for potential team members: It is difficult to be apart of the Costco team but if you get an opportunity:

Know the company, hit the ground running, work hard, and work harder because the room for growth is exponential. You will work hard but Costco will take care of you. Costco is heading in the right direction because the foundation is solid!

Cons

I have no Cons to input.

None

I have worked at Costco for over 10yrs and have had a great experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Clovis, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clovis, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay, benefits and 41k. Retail hours are good- If you work weekends your off by 8 at the latest and paid holidays off.

Cons

It's retail so you have to work weekends. Costco Need to reevaluate management and supervisors.

Don't try to make others look bad to cover up your mistakes.

Stop hiring family.

Great company while in school

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

they are flexible with your school schedule and are very helpful in finding time to make it work. Great benefits and a decent wage to survive on.

Cons

the management can be tough at times and are difficult to work with. they want you to work extra hours but don't really help you with time off. They require a few months notice on time off which is pretty tough with urgent issues.

I would listen to your employees and thank them once in a while. They will appreciate it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for, but you have to start at the bottom and work your way up

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Issaquah, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, GREAT benefits, have fun working and learning various positions

Cons

You have to start at the bottom and work your way up, it can be a very cutthroat environment, especially if you bring anything of value to the table (like previous experience or a degree). Growth is limited, if you become a manager, expect to hand your schedule over and be prepared to work whenever needed.

Costco is horrible about promoting women, and when they do promote them, they nit pick and find reasons to get rid of them or demote them, or just flat out make it uncomfortable for them. This does not inspire women to want to move up or provide for a good working environment. Promote more women! Give us more warehouse managers like Vicki Hite in the LA region. There are too few women leading the company, and you have NO idea how much harassment is happening, because the fear of retaliation or being labeled by an almost exclusively male upper management is career destroying.

Good pay great company

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Team Member in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work, they pay was really good, and the hours were really good as well

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth

Easy work but labor intensive

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant)  in  Santa Ana, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Santa Ana, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for less than a year

Pros

The minimum wage is above average and they also provide full coverage insurance. We get holiday and vacation days pay which is nice.

Cons

pushing carts for two times a day for 2.5 hours each in the summer sucks. Management terrible at their job, they don't care who you are, they only care what they can do for them.

Best Retail Co!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time

Pros

Great Pay, Great Benifits. Respect from management.

Cons

Its retail, you will work weekends and late nights.

Pretty good

Current Employee - Bakery Wrapper  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Bakery Wrapper in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Starting pay is relatively good

Cons

Supervisors are not very understanding of personal needs, fellow employees making a lot more than me have gotten lazy because they know it's hard to get fired

Be understanding of personal situations especially those of employees that you want to keep around

Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Issaquah, WA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Issaquah, WA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly, professional and relaxed enviroment. Great benfits and good pay.

Cons

Many would feel taht living in Washington would be a con. It's not that bad if you enjoy the outdoors and a family lifestyle

NONE

Decent work environment

Current Employee - Membership  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Membership in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Extra pay on Sunday. Overall positive work environment with good colleagues. Decent flexibility

Cons

Seniority over competence and skill. Communication can be slow. Constant favouritism and politics. Occasionally there's lack of team effort and spirit. A bit limited with career growth.

Better training and communication among departments. More value on competence and skill or else talented people will keep leaving.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!