Costco Wholesale

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.8 1,161 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees (in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights
1,161 Employee Reviews

summer job

Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) Nashua, NH (US)

ProsTime and a half on Sundays, and they have a college retention program so you can get your job back as soon as you get back from school each summer or break

Consscheduling isn't very flexible and you start in the lowest position they have at the time

Deli Assistant

Service Deli Assistant (Current Employee) Winter Park, FL (US)

ProsEverything about this company is great. Living wages, Very good benefits, off on holidays, time and a half on sundays The opportunities are endless for growth.

ConsSome of the people there are stuck up but just go to work and mind your own business. The hours are of any retail company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Depends on the managers

Administration (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay, benefits are pretty good. Co workers are wonderful. If you are one of the "chosen ones" you can really learn a lot.

ConsFavoritism and nepotism run rampant. If you are not one of the favorites, your chances of succeeding dwindle pretty quickly. Open positions are usually filled before the posting even goes up. The most qualified individual doesn't always get the job especially in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSarcasm and humiliation are not ways to get workers to do a better job. Some managers are allowed to bully their way through the day and even though it is common knowledge, heads turn the other way. Retaliation is prevalent but difficult to prove. The two on one approach when an employee is in trouble is intimidating and demeaning. The employee should have their liaison present as well.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Values

Assistant F/E Manager (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe companies internal values are amazing, Great pay for what the job is. Above average benefits. 90% of the co workers love their job. Great job for college students as they work around schooling schedules the best they can.

ConsHigh drive environment. Locational management can involve a lot of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepending on your location, some assistant whs managers and whs managers can be dismissive at best.

Great company to work for

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) Issaquah, WA (US)

ProsJob Security
    Great Benefits
    Really understand the merchandising business and Costco mentality
    Low turn over rate

ConsImpossible to get fired -- which is great, but that also means a lot of people stop pulling their weight.
    Slow to move up, because no one leaves
    Strict schedules
    Only a 3% pay increase cap in merchandising for salaried employees

Advice to Senior ManagementMerchandising needs more staff. Executive management projects huge growth, but with the exact same number of staff.

You get what you put in!

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people, lots of challenges, opportunity & second chances

ConsSlow to grow in some areas, corporate ladder can be difficult (but what company isn't?)

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for everything you do!

les than a year

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Issaquah, WA (US)

Prosgood values, great people, loyalty to employees

Conslack of leadership, lack of direction lack of accountability

Advice to Senior Managementtraining, leadership, direction, career path

Overall, my experience at Costco has been fairly good.

Cashier (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsThe pay and the benefits are absolutely amazing. They both make it difficult to ever want to find another job.

ConsCostco seems to have changed from focusing on the employees and the members, to just focusing on the numbers and whatever it takes get it done, even if people aren't being taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees and the members are the ones that make this business possible. Turn your focus back to them and your company will expand farther and continue to grow exponentially. Without them and their support and commitment to you, Costco will begin to fade.

Great Benefits, Good Pay, Mindless Work

Night Crew (Stocker) (Current Employee) Frederick, MD (US)

ProsThe benefits at Costco are excellent for the retail industry. Wages are low to begin with, but pay raises are given on a regular schedule, and if you hang around long enough (6-7 years), you can make $18-19 per hour. Costco is an excellent place to work for college students and those without any education.

ConsEntry level employees begin as part-time. Being chosen for full-time is considered a major promotion. So getting a full 40 hours per week can be a struggle. The work is mindless and boring and often physically demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Great benefits for employees

Service Clerk (Former Employee) Selma, TX (US)

ProsBenefits are great and bonuses help with families. Free membership

ConsLack of movement in the advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!