Cox Communications

Cox Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Cox Communications President Pat Esser

Pat Esser

Pros
  • Decent work life balance depending upon your manager(in 34 reviews)

• Benefits- subsidized cable and internet are good(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • High Sales Driven or a non-sales position, company closed call center(in 19 reviews)

• Attainable, but sometimes at the risk of customer service(in 13 reviews)

Great company to work for. Wonderful working environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work, laid back atmosphere and wonderfully, caring coworkers.

ConsCan't think of any as I was very satisfied working there but there was a layoff that caused many to lose our positions because we didn't want to relocated to where our current job was repositioned. Me, I didn't want to move to the desert and didn't want to move further north, where my position was sent. If it was positioned further south, I would have stayed with the company as I truly liked my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice. I think that management is great and they do the best for both the company and the employees.

Great Company and Great Career

ProsCox is a great company to work for and a good career for anyone willing to work hard.
    -Good pay.
    -Good Benefits.
    -Extremely discounted services for cable, internet and phone.
    -Management and Directors in my group are approachable and fair.

ConsConsolodations in the regions have pushed jobs out of many regions, and limited opportunities anywhere but Atlanta.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Great work environment - easy to advance if you work hard

Account Manager (Current Employee) Wichita, KS (US)

ProsGreat benefits, pay was generous, true open door policy, fantastic environment to work in, internal advancement opportunities

ConsPeople hate cable companies, current position requires spontaneous travel.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very difficult convince management to implement new ideas and technologies.

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsVery friendly people and good retirement plan

ConsYou have to follow shepherd.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate advanced technology research and evaluation group.

Great company to work for...

Inbound Sales Representative (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsPay is great, benefits are awesome!

ConsNot much room for advancement, no pay raises. They say if you want to make more, then sell more which doesn't reward people for staying with the company.

Great company, great pay

Universal Home Technician (Former Employee) Chantilly, VA (US)

ProsManagement makes genuine efforts to keep their people happy. Great training/onboarding for new hires. Wages increase nicely with time - 50% increase in about 3.5 years.

ConsCan sometimes feel like you are in high school the way policies are implemented and enforced. Customers generally are a drag too.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more opportunities for senior employees to transition into new roles / departments. Far to common for people to stagnate and get perma-stuck as field techs because they've got nowhere else to go internally and the pay is easily better than anything else they can find externally with their unique skillset.

Good Company

Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsCan practically make your way here. If you show initiative, you will move up. Good work environment and they tend to hire very friendly folks. Salaries are very good. People stay here because it's a good company.

ConsTend to be "too nice" to some folks who are not qualified to hold positions. Need to let some people go instead of giving them chance after chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove the open door policy here to share concerns and successes. Some days will have challenges, however and please be open to listen to them. Just because there may be a problem does not make the person reporting it a "negative" employee. But, the current open door policy is very good.

Like what this Company offers

Applications Support (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

Proslove the flexibility and the people that I work with. The Local markets I believe is a better environment. compensation is good for the most part. Relaxed environment and will provide the tools to get the job done. Definitely there for you when a family crises come up. doesnt turn their back on you from what I can tell.

ConsCorp ATL is more of who you know then it is on how you perform. Once you are labeled, its hard to get away from it even when you work hard to change. if you dont have a mentor or some one in management to support you, you definitely will feel alone on the island.

Started out great

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros* Free cable and internet
    * Decent pay
    * Great people

ConsWhen I started sales was not the main focus of technical support. There was a sales quota, but it wasn't too bad and the managers were happy if you were doing well at the job you were actually hired for: technical support. Once they switched to the service-to-sales model, everything changed. Lots of pressure to sale and the actual quality of customer service didn't matter anymore. When I left, everyone had the same quota, even people who worked nights and had limited opportunity because most of the customers were from different markets or drunk.

The company does not back its employees. Customers are abusive and the company does nothing. Customer sexually harass women technicians and the company does nothing. You can get in trouble for hanging up on a customer, even when the customer is being abusive and using sexually aggressive language. There is suppose to be a system in place to deal with this, but management does not respond at all and the support team that is supposed to take the customer and is allowed to disconnect the calls often refuses to take the call and tells you just to deal with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport employees better. Don't let customers sexually harass and insult employees. Quit getting rid of good technical support reps because they don't do well in sales; these are two different skill sets.

Good company with the good old days behind it.

Network Engineer II (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsDecent benefits.
    OK pay.
    Good employees who care about the customer.
    Strong foundation.

ConsWork load ever increasing with no head count increases.
    Seems to be shrinking rather than growing.
    Work-life balance is not anything like it used to be.
    Corporate mentality is to standardize and centralize everything under the sun.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more good people and stop trying to do more with less.

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!