DIRECTV

DIRECTV Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White

Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros:
  • "This company also provides great benefits with a good vacation and time off plan"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Good Benefits; Pay on similar scale to similar jobs; Everyone enjoys free TV; Decent company culture"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours and have to work hard for a work/life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Starting salary and long hours seem to account for the buik of the high turnover rate for new hires"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work as a student

CRG Representative (Former Employee)
Boise, ID (US)

I worked at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

ProsThey spend a lot more time training you and getting you ready for the floor than many of the competitors in the area. They make sure you understand every aspect of your job so you are best prepared to assist customers. They do a lot for their employees, free gym access, cafeteria, nice break rooms with games and activities, free coffee, etc. They also do annual company picnics that are absolutely free for employees and their families. People are really friendly, and management is usually pretty accommodating to employees schedule needs as long as it is reasonable. They have a great loan reimbursement program if you are seeking a degree that relates to Directv. Paid holidays, overtime pay, prizes, great incentive pay (if you are good at your job). They also have a great pension plan, benefits, and 401k.

ConsIt is really hard to move up in the company unless you suck up to the current management. Especially in the CRG side where, unless the CRG senior manager likes you, you sit in your current position. There is a lot of favoritism between managers as well. No matter how well you perform and no matter how long you have been performing well, it is overlooked and instead positions are given to managers friends. There are also staffing issues that never really get addressed, especially in the summers when churn season is in full swing and overtime is 100% mandatory.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is really hard to move up in the company unless you suck up to the current management. Especially in the CRG side where, unless the CRG senior manager likes you, you sit in your current position. There is a lot of favoritism between managers as well. No matter how well you perform and no matter how long you have been performing well, it is overlooked and instead positions are given to managers friends. There are also staffing issues that never really get addressed, especially in the summers when churn season is in full swing and overtime is 100% mandatory. If there was more temporary hiring in the summer to deal with the extremely high volume of calls, employee moral would improve greatly and you wouldn't see as high of a turnover in permanent employees.

review

Satillite Installer (Current Employee)
Lacey, WA (US)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

Prosgood job, nice people, yup

Conslow wage, smelled funny, ...yup

this place it great

Technician I (Current Employee)
Lynnwood, WA (US)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for less than a year

Proseverything from the pay to the people can't say a bad word about it, the benefits ate amazing plus a pension and 401 k. medical, dental, and vision. your own truck, gas card and insurance are some more perks oh there is bonuses too.

Consearly start but that's to be expected, it's really terrible that every one is super nice and supportive. the CEO Mike White learned the problems with the company when he did the undercover boss. now they invest in the employees.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work, look at your office in Lynnwood Washington, they are killing it.

Great company to work for

NOC Technician (Former Employee)
Culver City, CA (US)

I worked at DIRECTV full-time for less than a year

ProsGood benefits.
Life/work balance
Lots of career growth pottential

ConsManagement tree is not very organized

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Sr Systems Admin

Senior Systems Administrative (Former Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I worked at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work. The people I worked with were great. The channels like HBO and Stars sponsored some employee events. Management is very flexible and gave employees autonomy to do their work.

ConsBureaucracy still exists. There was some tension between locations. There have been some less than positive changes since I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the balance between employees, customers and share holders up. Employees appreciate this, I just left a company that focused only on the stockholders.

Awesome place to work!

Product Designer (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at DIRECTV as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFun entertaining environment, great people, challenging workloads.

ConsIt's a corporation that has too many layers of approvals to get anything done in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Technology and Teamwork

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time

ProsTruly interesting product and business, really smart hard working people who care about doing a good job, diversity at most levels. Environment encourages cross functional / department engagement and teamwork to deliver new products and solutions. Generous benefit package and options, commitment to the community and charitable causes.

ConsNot many... culture clash growing pains where new tech (apps, software, cloud, outsourcing) does battle with old tech (hardware, limited purpose infrastructure, "not invented here" mentality).

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure accountability for performance and strive for diversity at every level.

Great Place

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood company to work for. Only problem is that there is no innovation in technology.

ConsThe Directors tend to be selected and promoted by elitism/influence/friendship and not by results or capabilities.

Great company to work for

I have been working at DIRECTV

ProsGood benefits, very low turnover.

ConsThe first year is the toughest

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not play favorites.

Very employee Friendly

IT Analyst I (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

ProsBalanced environment, Employee Friendly, Career Growth

Consability to get stocks option as a benifit

Advice to Senior Managementacquiring more small companies and ability to invest in to be technology driven company

Worked for DIRECTV? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DIRECTV reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DIRECTV CEO Michael D. (Mike) White. All 452 reviews are posted anonymously by DIRECTV employees.