DISH

2.5 1,468 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

1,468 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Pay is good: a lot of sales reps are doing very well in Roseland"
    in 63 reviews
  • "Other pros include living in Denver and a good work/life balance (I work 830 - 6pm usually)"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement"
    in 92 reviews
  • "As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Crazy busy, sometimes with true-north focus as a company, then again, sometimes not so much.

Management (Former Employee)
Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReally great people come to work here, but they usually leave after they've been worked to death. Salaries are ok, but need to be re-evaluated against other industry telecom leaders.Benefits are decent, comparable to other industries/market. There is some schedule flexibility depending on what department you're in and your manager's mood for the week.

ConsFar too many high level expectations and unreasonable deadlines without good leadership, communication, decent compensation, the right equipment and the wrong people in management. (Lording over and micro-managing others so they can cover their own tails, because they didn't do their due diligence.) Thank goodness the badging in/out process has changed (or at least I heard it had been). It isn't Ft.Knox for crying out loud. It's a consumer entertainment company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hired someone based on their skill sets and abilities, test scores, etc. Let them do their jobs without micro-managing every little aspect of the project or event. Be prepared yourself, take initiative and communicate what you want, and don't change the rules of the game in mid-play, unless you talk it over as a team. Stopping and starting over is no fun and frustrates everybody, not just you.

Good work, mediocre pay

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH for more than a year

Prosco-workers are good and the feel around the call center is chill
supervisors are helpful
training is paid
hours are flexible if you plan in advance
insurance
free tv!

ConsAs a customer service agent, I think the pay isn't enough.
We also get yelled at all day long by customers who can't watch their favorite basketball game who don't realize that there are important things in this world.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf we're asking, I'd say give us more pay, more vacation, and less hours.

interesting projects, demanding work load

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Lakewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking at Dish's HQ in Meridian has been a great experience for me because of the horizontal and vertical scale of the company. From manufacturing to installations, from customer service to satellites, and from apps to programming -- Dish is involved in all of it. As a business analyst, I work with the corp dev department to implement key and strategic projects. The good part of this is that most of my work is interesting, involves a lot of research, and is fast paced. There's rarely a boring day at Dish.

I've also had the opportunity to be mentored by a director in our department. She gives me frequent, honest feedback and also helps me solve problems when I hit a roadblock that requires the involvement of other departments. Working with leaders from different departments has been fun though it's certainly challenging.

The upper management of Dish -- with whom my interaction is more limited -- thinks long term. Watching Charlie position the company for long term growth is really impressive, and it's certainly something I proud to be a part of.

ConsSome employees can't take the pressure of working at Dish. A lot is expected of employees and those who can't keep up feel discouraged and often quit or are fired. Starting pay is below some of the competitors, but it seems to average out as you move up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to offer more structured programs for younger employees that show interest and potential for middle and upper management. While I sought out a mentor and it's worked out great, a lot of employees don't have the same opportunity and have told me they would like a mentor, the kind of relationship to help them grow professionally.

Don't apply unless your ready to work extremely hard

Field Service Specialist I (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsPaid Days off.(8-10 hour days) Free TV package.

ConsTech's work 4 days a week (days normally run 12 hours but can go 15) However, sometimes you will need to work extra days. You will usually be exhausted at the end of the day but be prepared to do it again the next day. Lots of weekend work

Advice to Senior Managementrestructure the Points per hour system.

stressful but lucrative position in sales

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI worked at Dish for 5 years but left in 2012. (I heard it has changed some since then from coworkers that I'm still in touch with.)
Working in sales was stressful. Hours are long and you real, but it was the most money I've made per month.
Product is one of the best on the market. Obviously this has a big effect on sales people. A good sales person could make decent money at any company, but at Dish you can make really good money. Commissions structure were built to incentivize sales staff, and Dish does a good job at that.

ConsVery stressful and managers aren't accommodating to individual employees needs. Employees that aren't performing face job insecurity.
Variable income if your sales aren't steady

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that sales staff should more independence. If we make our sales numbers, why does it matter the hours when or the script I use?

company is focused on long term growth

New York, NY (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Prosmanagement has a strategic plan for the company and its subsidiaries
ad-sales is focused on new technology and shifts in today's market: positioning ourselves for future revenue rather than focusing on this quarter's financial reports
smaller ad-sales team than the big broadcasters which means broader (if less deep) experience
positive work environment
some travel to the main office in Denver

ConsDish does some things different from the industry standard. If you let it, this can really bother some people. It bothered me a lot at first, but now I accept it
Dish can be cheap on travel

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't skimp on employee travel. If we are leaving our families to travel for work, give us a budget to eat a nice meal with a few drinks at night.

good work/life balance

Financial Analyst II (Current Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsI've been working at Dish for 2 years in the corporate finance department. There are 2 big pros for me:
1) Great work/life balance
Moving to Denver was life-changing. Weekends in the mountains. The camping, the biking, the healthy lifestyle. I've made some good friends. People from work go for drinks about once a week and initially my coworkers helped me meet friends and find my way around the city. Now I have other friends as well.
A lot of Dish employees come to work on public transportation or by bike, and some running groups run around Meridian on lunch breaks since there are showers in Building II. I'm usually in the office from 8am till 630pm which is reasonable for the finance industry.

2) Corporate experience in a public company
Dish is a vertically integrated company that has a lot of departments and many stakeholders. Building dashboards for C-level execs and helping make informed decisions for marketing budget allocations has been a good learning. My duties are clearly assigned and feedback is usually quick if rather brief. I think it's probably one of the better employers in Denver.

ConsVacation time isn't great. Also, I wish the corporate finance time got to evaluate more of the strategy deals. I was hoping I would get to work on the wireless M&A activity, but that seems to be a small cadre of employees surrounding the chairman. I haven't been involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us a little more paid time off?

Great income potential if you apply yourself

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsVery lucrative pay structure...bonuses and incentives for working overtime and being on time everyday...lots of contests and prizes given away for good job performance...benefits

ConsTo make top dollars requires working 10hrs overtime weekly...sometimes there's mandatory overtime...very strict attendance policy(can't be 1 min late)

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need a better vacation pay structure that perhaps gives an avg of what you earn for a week off.

Disappointing

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Christiansburg, VA (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe job is easy and most people could probably do it. The people we work worth for the most part make the task of listening to the constant screaming during the day much easier. the benefits are pretty good and the pay is higher than you can get in our small town in Virginia.

ConsOne of my biggest beefs with our call center is the leadership. I have a huge problem with people (especially managers and supervisors) being extremely rude and anything but helpful. they make the job seem like an uphill battle. One supervisor in particular I knew I could lean on when I needed help recently got walked out. He was the most positive person in that building. You could bet you would hear a quote for a pick me up. You knew that when you asked him for help he would be there. The complete just disappointment in this man being out of that building makes it just that much harder to make through the day. So I have to ask myself if they can walk out Eric, why would I ever feel like my job is safe? THATS the problem! none of us can feel like our job is safe. to walk out a 9 year employee with no second thought?

Advice to Senior ManagementMy main advice would be invest in the people who can change the mood! We need a lift me up! not a let down. We get beat to death all day by the customers, at least make us feel like management has our back. The environment needs to be a little lighter... we need leaders who can make us feel like we matter and actually care about how we are. We need more "Sparrowisms" in our day!

Sales Representative in New Jersey

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Roseland, NJ (US)

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsCommission structures are some of the fairest in the industry. The best sales reps at Dish make a lot of money!
Atmosphere is friendly but sometimes competitive in the center.
I'm still friends with 2 of my coworkers even though I left 2 years ago.
Benefits, paid vacation, 401(k)

ConsSupervisors aren't very helpful and often just try to enforce rules that don't make sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on sales and reduce some of the rules. This would also reduce the number of supervisors which would help. Strive for a flatter hierarchy

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!

DISH Videos

DISH – Why Work for Us?

The Dish on DISH. Pride: We possess the integrity to set high goals and the commitment to achieve the results. We believe pride is a personal commitment, to do your best in everything you do.Our Core Values… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DISH reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DISH CEO Joseph Clayton. All 1,468 reviews are posted anonymously by DISH employees.