DISH Reviews

1,810 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,161 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 81 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

WORK PRESSURE

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Environment, nice collegues only these two are meritis.

Cons

too much of work pressure from higher level. full of politics

please improve your pay scale its not at all fair

Exciting and Challenging

Former Employee - Coach in Hyderābād
    Former Employee - Coach in Hyderābād

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy job, no hassell at all

Cons

Overtime comes into the picture during peak season

More training

Good

I worked at DISH as a contractor

Pros

The big reason is a good place to work and good atmosphere, good coligues.

Cons

I don't find any difficulties to work in this organization. Iam very happy to work in this kind of enviroment.

Interesting place to work, could be worse

Current Employee - Dr Dish in Hilliard, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Dr Dish in Hilliard, OH (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people, my team gets me through the days, the free TV, there always seems to be something for free. sick time. Paid time off

Cons

Shift bids, the customers (but that's really any customer service job right?), starting pay could be more, but in reality it could be worse.

Keep trying to improve, seen a lot of improvements over the past few years! Keep trying.

You can get far if the manager likes you. Where is the center heading to again?

Current Employee - Anonymous in Christiansburg, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Christiansburg, VA (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good. I have built great friendship with people I work with. There are some good coaches and team leads that actually enjoy their jobs and very good at it. They are developing agents the right way and not by fear and threats of losing their jobs.

Cons

The call center is once again heading to the same place we were 6 or 7 years ago. People are in fear of losing their jobs because they did a tiny little thing. Since that new manager came, turnover got much higher. She's micromanaging everyone! She evaluates calls to supposedly develop the agents, but instead she's finding a reason to fire them! By the way, make sure you have documentation on the first call you listen to, so when you fire them, you have a record of it! Look at how many she's fired since she came! And if you discuss anything at all, make sure it's on paper and have them sign it so they can't get unemployment if they applied for it.

The right people are not appreciated or rewarded. Let's talk about the directors club. When this started, the top performers were able to go and enjoy half a day having dinner and few laughs with management. You can look around the room and say "these people deserve this." But now you ask? Who ever kissed the manager's behind got to go. I saw 10 agents at most that we're able to go. Look at the coaches, team leads and the team's numbers. Are they top performers? Some of them, yes but most of them are nowhere near the top!

I use to think Dish was a great place to work, but that's changing. We are going back to the way we were or even worse. Managements are breathing down your neck just waiting for you to F up!

Don't let the new manager take over and walk all over you. If you haven't noticed, she's dominating the place and leading it to the wrong direction.

“Education doesn’t always make you smarter…..case in point.”

Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in El Paso, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in El Paso, TX (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have an opportunity to work with honest, humble, hard working people who show you on a day to day basis that you can be successful regardless of the level of education you have. Their unpretentious work ethic and efforts would make an excellent case study for someone’s Doctorate (Not Doctrine….big difference here). The thesis would be tentatively titled, “America was built by the working class…not the self proclaimed Elite.”

Cons

It’s sad that we have people (a couple really) coming into the company that consider themselves immediately superior to everyone else due to their self proclaimed common sense, logic, reasoning, analytical skills and most importantly their vaunted education. What makes it sadder is the fact that they position themselves above others that have been in the company in some cases for 8+ years. And the logic for their forgone conclusion is based on three talking points:
    1.) These tenured employees obviously lack of education.
    2.) These tenured employees obviously lack the qualifications for their jobs because they don’t have a Doctorate (not Doctrine as indicated earlier, but of course you know that, since you are educated more than everyone else. If by any chance you don’t know the difference, I suggest using a layman’s dictionary which us common folk use.)
    3.) And lastly their erroneous supposition that those tenured employees have only progressed within the company due to the fact that they know someone in management or HR or because they benefit from extra privileges. God forbid these tenured employees have grown and advanced within the company because of their hard work, efforts, continued support and pride in what they do….can you imagine the horror if this were true…..gasps?
    In most work places, you have tenured employees in areas of leadership, such as leads, supervisors and managers. And that is because they know the processes, they know the people, they know the product and because they’ve shown they have the right capacity and desire to lead where indicated. And yes, that means that at times, you will have those leaders evaluating the work of new employees both hourly and salaried. Logic normally dictates that a tenured employee will review and provide feedback to newer employees….is that concept too foreign to you But apparently, a recently hired individual feels he is being demeaned because they are being reviewed by someone who doesn’t have any common sense, logic , reasoning and analytical skills. And apparently they lack those skills because they don’t have that darned Doctorate (not Doctrine…just want to make sure we are clear on that concept.) I can only imagine the angst you must feel to receive feedback from someone that is beneath your station….oh the horror!!! But in all honestly, I don’t remember where in the book of life it states you can only gain those skills by having a degree or doctorate….because in all honesty most of those associates you so condescendingly look down on have more commons sense, logic, analytical skills and most importantly humility in their pinky finger than what you possess in your entire person.
    This in no way is directed to all those other people that have had the opportunity to advance their education. In fact, Dish commends and encourage all those that can take advantage of furthering their education and the company provides an excellent tuition reimbursement program that assists those that endeavor to follow that path. And fortunately, we have many highly educated associates that have joined the company and assisted us in our overall growth and success. But the glaring difference with them is that they never thought of themselves superior to others. They never came in expecting to be treated as royalty; they came in with the right mind set, humility and work ethic and they have aided in our success here in El Paso.
    Unfortunately, these other individuals find fault in uneducated associates because they don’t make any efforts to further their education. It’s amazing how a supposedly educated individual can’t comprehend that not everyone has the circumstances that allow them to pursue that endeavor. And it’s not because they are lazy, or have “simple minds” or because they feel that Dish “owes” them for their 8+ year commitment as implied by them. You should be thankful that you didn’t have any obstacles in pursuing your education without any major issues or interruptions; you’re either very lucky or just plain spoiled. You shouldn’t mock others because their circumstances don’t allow them to mimic you. Nor should you mock others who have taken longer to complete their “2 year degree” within a two year time frame. How conceited and petty you must be to not realize that most of those people have families, children, and extended families to care for along with other responsibilities that have played a part in completing their degrees. The importance here is they are in the process of completing their degree or that they complete that degree regardless of the time it took them, something that your “educated mind” clearly cannot comprehend. The people are not “blockers of real talent” as you put it. They are real people who have worked from the ground up and have persevered and not given up in attending to their work, their school and their other responsibilities. The only “blockage” here seems to be the apparent lack of oxygen and common sense going to your head and the excess amount of “inflated ego” that does seems to be flowing to your head.
    Charlie Ergen is a highly successful entrepreneur and business man who is intelligent, savvy but most importantly, humble and grounded by the roots of who he is. He founded this amazing company with his wife and Jim De Franco by selling dishes “door to door”. He poured his soul, sweat, blood and time into this company and made it what it is by recognizing and appreciating all those workers who toiled with him in the trenches. He has always led by example and never has he elevated himself over others because of his education or accomplishments. He credits his company’s success on those blue collared workers, who despite of a lack of an education or Doctorate, have grown, succeeded and moved up because of their humble and honest efforts. And the company will continue to grow because of the efforts of those who lead by example and efforts and not because of those who feel they are entitled to lead because of their elevated education or degree. This company will continue to grow because we have honest, humble workers, who lead by example and are not guided by narcissism, a diluted sense of entitlement and a strong inferiority complex as exhibited by others such as you.
    If you want to continue to elevate yourself over others because your Napoleonic complex go ahead but keep your condescending views to yourself. Endeavor to lead by example and not by entitlement. Put in the hours to show that you are capable of building up a sweat; don’t make a capital case because you have to work 45 hours….really 45 hours and you have a meltdown? I guess you don’t want to work 45 hours because it may cause undue stress or over exertion and we wouldn’t want that since it might degrade your common sense, logic and analytical skills. If you truly value you education, then use it wisely and with a humble heart, don’t use it to elevate yourself over others, degrading those who don’t have your level of education. Manifest the positive side of it, not the side that will ostracize you amongst those you supposedly want to lead.
     If you do not change your ways, you will continue to put yourself on an ivory pedestal, thinking you are above all else. The sad truth is that eventually you are going to realize that the pedestal you have elevated yourself on so loftily is really not so high; in fact you will realize that it is as high as the thickness of the paper that your vaunted degree and doctorate are printed on. In the meantime, us other non “Edumacated” and “Edumacated” associates will continue endeavor to lead in making the El Paso facility successful and to continue in assisting all efforts to improve on all fronts in which improvements can be made. We are here for the people, not for our own self entitlement or recognition. Rest assured that whatever we may lack in your eyes, we more than make up for it in heart, body and mind. And that trumps any glossy paper you have hanging on your wall.
    On a side note: In the future, you may want to put more thought on your movie subject references. In the movie “Gremlins”, Gizmo was identified as a “Mogwai” which is the translation of a Cantonese word that means “monster”, “evil spirit”, “devil” or “demon.” With that said, I’d rather be a “Gremlin”, why? I would rather be an imaginary creature who creates mischief because bad habits, practices or behaviors can be eliminated as one learns, grows and matures. So in other words, we can change and have changed for the better. In your case, I really don’t see much hope with you, Gizmo……. 

There are truly genuine hard working people here at Dish; both tenured employees and newer ones that come in with the right mentality. Both groups endeavor to use all of their acquired skills and education for the continued growth of this company. No matter the criticism that a few disgruntled employees put forth, rest assured that the rest of the 99% of us will continue to work earnestly in our jobs, motivated by the continuing changes the company has put forth for the overall improvement of the company. We are here for the long haul and will continue to do so as long as the company continues to make improvements where possible and as long as they continue to show a genuine interest in our overall well being and future.

Opportunity Knocks if you play the game

Current Employee - Leadership in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Leadership in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to prove yourself, leadership training, travel, the frontline people

Cons

Benefits (it is better to not have insurance), Culture (back stabbing cut throat), No clear direction in the company. Be thankful Joe Clayton is there because Charlie. would not provide leadership training, wages or personality. The company might have been gone by now. Just when you think you can trust someone you really cant trust them at all.

Cliques, Inconsistencies, get the "you know what’s" to stand up to some of those in upper management who have no clue what really is happening. Please quit putting so much confidence in an inept HR Team. Quit looking at yourself as detectives on Law and Order who uses strong arm (illegal?) tactics to get information and make decisions based on rumor compared to fact.

Senior Management and above is a bigger joke. At some point realize that by catering to one person in the company EVP &COO will hurt the company in the long run. Everyone knows it but is afraid to say it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Current Employee - Site Manager in Hilliard, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Hilliard, OH (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

99% of the people I have had the privilege to work within the past 7 years are some of the most honest, hard-working, caring, and humorous I've ever met. Dish gives us the opportunity to make this a career and not just a job. From Agents to Managers there are opportunities to travel, give personal feedback for improvements, and participate in changes. On every salary level this is a fast paced and tough job with challenges daily. Top performers are rewarded monetarily and/or through career opportunities. The Hilliard CSC is consistently ranked the top site in Dish and it's because of the hard work and dedication of its employees.

Cons

To the 1% of the current and past employees who hide behind an anonymous website to criticize, spread rumors, and blatantly lie....from Teddy Roosevelt's speech commonly called 'The Man in the Arena' I will say this to you: "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." So to those who are not in the ‘arena’ with the rest of us to make Dish, Hilliard, and this team better; I 'm really not interested in your criticism. Come talk to me face to face - you know where my office is.

Our culture is ever changing and improving. We need to keep focus on the positive, recognize those who do well and those who try their hardest. Continue to improve the site from the suggestions we get from our employees. There will always be the ‘naysayers’ but those are the minority. Keep your heads high and keep working hard to make this a great place to work!

DISH Network Employee; 10+ years

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules; ESPP; nice campus; lots of opportunity for improvements

Cons

Mediocre benefits; poor travel policy

Going on 3 years.

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Bluefield, WV (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Dish is the opportunity to meet and speak with many different people. I enjoy speaking with customers and helping them. I am a people person and I love getting to know different customers and learning about them. Same goes for my coworkers, I have fun with my fellow employees and there are so many people to meet! The specific center I am employed at has a fun, laid back, and family like environment. Training is good, there are weekly trainings you take on your computer to keep you updated on any changes or important information. You get 80 hours off paid time off to start, which, for me is just fine to start, its better than what I've had at previous companies. Pay is the best I personally have ever had. Plenty of opportunities to get pay for performance, which for customer service agents is amazing!! I'm jealous that I don't get the same opportunity.

Cons

First off, You have to be a patient person! This job will stress you out beyond belief if you can't be patient or if you take things (customer interactions) personally. Pay for performance for advanced technical reps is ridiculous. Highest payout advanced tech reps can get is 15% of a paycheck, which by the way you can only get with ridiculously amazing and hard to get to stats, versus customer service's 50%. I've heard the excuse "We are trying to get CSR to perform better and advance tech already performs at a high level. We can't afford to pay every advance tech 50%." We work our butts off to stay above average and we get no reward. So yes, let's pay the employees that aren't giving an above average performance more money!!! That makes great sense... Anyways, I am finished with that rant. Moving on, the only other con about this job is the sick days and trying to get paid time off. Putting in for a paid day off can only be done if the day is available. Which means based on how many other people have already asked for that day off. They only let you put it in 90 days in advanced which means if someone has already asked for it you won't get it. And if you realized 2 weeks beforehand then someone has definitely already gotten the day. I end up with plenty of hours at the end of the year because I can never get it approved. Sicks days have changed to 5 years.... 5 years before I can get any sick days and this was changed like 2 months from my two year mark so I am especially not happy with this.

The technical aspect of new hire training needs to be improved. I feel like the technical part of training is just thrown at the new employees to which most of them have no idea about any of it. Hardly any customer service reps can successfully resolve a simple technical call and that's because they DONT UNDERSTAND IT. You just tell them to follow portal and have them read things but that doesn't help, if you don't understand how these things work then you aren't going to efficiently resolve the issue and end up transferring a simple issue to advanced tech, who in turn will fix the problem in 1\3 of the time and result in the customer thinking the original agent was incompetent. I don't like getting these transfers because I know if they were properly trained the customer wouldn't be thinking that. Either train csr's well enough for them to understand it or cut out the middle man. It saves a lot of time (which is money) and prevents customer frustration.