DISH

2.5 1,476 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

1,476 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Pay is good: a lot of sales reps are doing very well in Roseland"
    in 63 reviews
  • "Other pros include living in Denver and a good work/life balance (I work 830 - 6pm usually)"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement"
    in 92 reviews
  • "As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Exciting and Challenging

Coach (Former Employee)
Hyderābād

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEasy job, no hassell at all

ConsOvertime comes into the picture during peak season

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DISH as a contractor

ProsThe big reason is a good place to work and good atmosphere, good coligues.

ConsI don't find any difficulties to work in this organization. Iam very happy to work in this kind of enviroment.

Dish Network

I worked at DISH full-time

Prosgreat job and great people

Conslate hours and you work holidays

All around great job

Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI've been working at Dish in sales now for 5 years in the Riverfront call center. Though I've always liked my job, it's improved drastically over the last few years:
- more metric based evaluations
- commissions structures are more favorable to sales reps
- health insurance plans are better
- removed some paper pushers from the bottom of management

The best thing about this job is that the income depends soley on myself. If I do sales well, then I make a good income. I like this self-reliance and and self-driven approach to a job. It's been a great fit for me. Other perks include working with a great team and free programming.

ConsSales at Dish have to be honest, because they'll penalize you (and eventually fire you) if your new ads churn. You have to sell to subscribers who won't disconnect. The products and packages of Dish can be complex and a sales rep has to know them by heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify product offering and packages. This will make it easier to sell and will reduce customer service calls as well.

great experience working at Dish

Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked for Dish for 2 years and it was really a good experience for me. The work environment was pleasant and my coworkers were friendly and helpful. This was my first job in a call-center, but the training was thorough and initially a supervisor frequently checked up on me. I guess it depends on the trainer, but I found that our classroom training was actually pretty complete. The first call I answered was still a little bit nerve-racking, but soon I got over it.

I've found that management (managers, coaches, supervisors, and trainers) treat us with respect and as responsible adults. Even as a call-center newbie, I was promoted after 12 months and think that this experience helped me get a management position in a call-center (where I work today)

ConsThere's a high employee turnover. I think that's largely because HR doesn't clearly set expectations for what it's like in the call-center. But it affects all of us in the call-center because we're constantly having to train new people. The health care options are pretty bad and I ended up just opting out of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to retain employees longer. It's costs the company a lot of time and money to train so many people.

Steady job, good pay, long hours

Installer (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH for more than 3 years

ProsAfter going through training, this job is pretty steady. Unless you really mess up, you'll slowly be promoted and get the occassional raises. The place most people mess up is on their metrics. Stick with rules, keep an eye on your metrics, and that's pretty much it. Besides picking up the van and dropping it off, the rest of you day will be driving or at a customer's doing installation / service work. Most techs don't mind spending the majority of their day alone. 4 day work week is great and so is the free TV.

ConsBe prepared for long days of physical labor. Most shifts are 12-13 hours and occasionally 14-15.
Sometimes customers can be difficult to deal with and occasionally you end up seeing some crazy things inside the subscriber's house! I can't believe people don't cleanup before having a service person come over!?

Advice to Senior ManagementLet techs take trucks home. It will save us a little time, but a lot of energy!

Grass is always greener

Customer Service (Former Employee)

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAfter looking for a new job for the last few months, my perspective of Dish has changed:
- Professional work environment
- Management always treated me well and with respect
- Over time was mandatory (but it's better than no OT, right?)
- Pay was competitive

ConsThe reason I quit was because of the vacation time. My in-laws offered to let us stay at their place in Florida for 2 months. I asked off, and Dish said no. You usually only get 2 weeks of PTO a year after working there for at least 12 or 18 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire me back?

fun place to work

Graphic Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat co-workers led by strong management. There's a real positive momentum right now because our products are winning awards and selling well. Plus, Charlie Ergen has a strategy to take us out of the mature pay TV market and into the wireless market.

My coworkers get on well and we sometimes do events together. Even as a designer, I sometimes get invited to events put on by the programmers like HBO or Starz.

All-in-all: this has been a great job.

ConsSometimes there's a culture class between old-school pay television people and more forward thinking team members who focus on tech, apps, and OTT. But I guess that's normal since most of our money comes from pay television still.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people who are "Digital Natives"

great technology, strong team

Front End Developer (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork on the newest platforms and with the best equipment
Build best in class video applications for mobile, tablet, desktop, and TV
Learn from coworkers who were industry pioneers with Move Networks and Sling Media
Occasional travel to California or Utah
Upper management seems to have a longterm vision for growing the company
Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm
Office is in West Soho and near the subway. Coworkers live in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and NJ
Pay is good though promotions are slow

ConsBeing away from the corporate HQ certainly takes its toll in terms of efficiency and communication. Sometimes our office can feel isolated from the rest of Dish

Advice to Senior ManagementThe NYC office has a lot of talent, but internal communication needs to be improved so that we are working better with the HQ.

Insides Sales

I worked at DISH

ProsThe pay overall was good. Stock Plan was good. The people I worked with were good.

ConsThere are too many factors in your commission, they force you to work overtime and pay you less than your hourly rate when you work the overtime. Management was always constantly changing for no reason. I've seen the best managers terminated through no fault of their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementOvertime is factored too much into your commission structure.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!

DISH Videos

DISH – Why Work for Us?

The Dish on DISH. Pride: We possess the integrity to set high goals and the commitment to achieve the results. We believe pride is a personal commitment, to do your best in everything you do.Our Core Values… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DISH reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DISH CEO Joseph Clayton. All 1,476 reviews are posted anonymously by DISH employees.