DISH Reviews

Updated 27 April 2015
2098 reviews filtered by

1. Field Service Specialist 2

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South El Monte, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South El Monte, CA (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Good days off,

Cons

always wanting more from us. more sales this a service job not sales. constantly increasing production numbers. always laying people off for no reason.

bad

Culture change? I am still waiting for it.

Current Employee - Salaried Employee- Manufacturing Center in El Paso, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Salaried Employee- Manufacturing Center in El Paso, TX (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have a manager who supports me a great deal and I enjoy what I do for the most part. Tuition reimbursement is great and so is the free satellite service. Our insurance premiums are decent too compared to market place. There is room to grow if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Dish's big push to change the culture is not making an impact in El Paso to the degree I would prefer to see it. We still have a lot of employees who do not want to make effort to change our environment. They criticize attempts without offering input. We have to work on our attitudes with one another if we want to create a pleasant work environment. Additionally, I still do not agree with forcing salaried employees to work specidic number of hours to help HPU. Most salaried employees can successfully manage their responsibility within 40 hours and to ask them to stay longer will take time away from their family and personal life. This is conflictive as we tell employees we want to change the culture and then question them when they don't hit 45 worked hours. If we want to take our full lunch then we have to remain there 50 hours.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to cut loose those who are bringing the ship down. There are plenty of people in El Paso that can come on board and help change the toxic environment we have created for ourselves. We shouldn't have to wait for upper management to fly in and clean house for us again.

3. Great company to work for., training and support available for first time call center experience.

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Inbound calls, sales are optional.

Cons

Worked during a takedown, tough calls!

Advice to Management

None

5. Lots of flexibility and work life balance for proven employees in the right department.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hardworking and down to earth employees, flexibility for work/ life balance of in home office role, challenging work. Company staying on top of the times, possibly lots of good changes ahead with spectrum purchases made recently.

Cons

Very little flexibility at corporate, but not much room for growth if not at corporate. Benefits are not good.

Advice to Management

Work on improving culture- increase work flexibility for deserving employees, improve benefits, 401k matching, and annual salary increases for good employees.

Commercial CSR III

I worked at DISH

Pros

Easy to access location. Set schedule.

Cons

Horrible attendance policy. Poor benefits.

7. Very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH

Pros

The company is always looking ahead in its business plan. Given the DBS industry is maturing, DISH is always looking for the next big thing in technology.

Cons

DISH still suffers the stigma from the past of being a terrible company to work for. The reality is that it is a good company to work for. Perceptions unfortunately exist to the opposite.

You will learn how too and not to if you pay attention

Former Employee - Inside Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Lead

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great income potential, decent time off from the start and an overall good group of employees. Easy product to sell just a matter of finding the money and making the most out of your opportunities.

Cons

They will take your money at every turn, they manage by fear and fail to empower their employees to get a buy in to the companies success. Direct Sales is treated as though they are a third party and there is an overwhelming sense of no connection and the leadership is misaligned and will routinely contradict one another.

Additionally their benefits package is laughable and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Advice to Management

Embrace your people, make them feel wanted and valued, give them peace of mind and security through better benefits combined with a more realistic PTO plan that makes sense. Stop blindly giving and taking $$ from everyone and start empowering the team to do what is right because they care about the customer and the company not because you will take their money away for menial mistakes that "may or may not" cost you money down the road.

9. What Wall Street doesn't know.

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dish has tremendous potential and some truly gifted employees. The stock should remain solid unless they decide to turn their broadband investments into a separate company, much lile Yahoo did with Alibaba.

Cons

Dish has become a commodity based investment. While Charlie Ergen’s spectrum strategies have given the Dish Network share holders a tremendous boost in their portfolio, it has also numbed Dish executives to its epic organizational failures to which it may not recover. Customer satisfaction and subscriber numbers are following the trend of its employee’s morale. And what is a company if not the people who have daily contact with their customers?

Dish uses sleight of hand tricks to increase stock value. In the left hand they are purchasing spectrum and creating new programs they jokingly refer to as “innovative”. Meanwhile, the right hand delivers deteriorating customer service due to horrifically inept upper management that supervises through threats and intimidation rather than genuine leadership and inspiration. Draconian management begets despondent employees begets poor service begets draconian management and the downward spiral continues as they bleed subscribers.

Dish has made several attempts to turn employee moral around. Well, kind of.

After being voted America’s worse company to work for, several years in a row, Dish Network now seeds Glassdoor with sham reviews, much like a deceptive prospector seeding a bad mine with fool’s gold and yet they still can’t get a rating above a 2.5. Employing this tactic, rather than fixing the problems, is insulting to the hard working individuals who have to endure the “Dish culture” day after day.

Dish has created a Leadership Training Program aptly named LEAD. This is actually a solid program that delivers progressive management techniques. However, it has been terribly counterproductive, as it educates lower management on phenomenal leadership skills which only highlights the inadequacies of their supervisors at progressive levels. There is nothing worse than realizing your boss knows better, but just doesn’t care. Actions speak louder than words.

DISH used to be a place where hard work and solid results would lead to progressive responsibilities and promotion. In fact there are directors and even a VP who do not have a framed degree hanging in their offices. In Dish’s typical “Decade behind” style, they have adopted the 90’s appetite for MBAs instead of looking for the truly innovative and skilled leaders. The duel effect has been turning away talented individuals due to their lack of paper and the drive for current management to obtain degrees which, when received, leads them to much greener pastures outside the company. This lack of leadership cultivation may explain Dish’s style of “management through coercion” versus the inspirational leadership of companies like Google, Intuit and Cisco.

Tough choices and disciplined actions will have to be executed for Dish to survive beyond the commodity based economic model it is becoming. We have cancers at the Director level that have achieved solid results but at the cost of employee morale. This success is not sustainable, as the last few years have shown us. Employee satisfaction has slipped dramatically and customer satisfaction has mirrored the decline. These individuals have failed their employees, customers and Dish shareholders.

I applaud Charlie Ergen for his vision and strategies that have led us to partnerships with companies such as Amazon and the like. But until we escape the “Genius with a 1000 helpers” management model currently in place and hire or promote true inspirational leaders, it will not carry us into the future he has imagined.

Advice to Management

Stop misinterpreting Charlie's passion for productivity as a mandate to perpetuate a draconian management style. Facilitate communication up the chain (teaching upper management to actually listen would be a great start) to take advantage of the massive amounts of knowledge the employees could provide.

Keep looking

I worked at DISH

Pros

Company invests in good training. They do seem to care about training people.

Cons

No room to grow and they do not pay high enough. They hire from outside to fill positions that can be filled internally

Change is something that happens in every company, this one struggles to find a way to make it seem comfortable.

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent bonus structure and perks

Cons

Management change there approach and thought processes, last week this process was best practice, tomorrow you may be given a consult.

Advice to Management

Stick with a plan give it a chance to succeed or fail. If it fails then at least it was given a chance and move on to another plan