DISH Reviews

1,810 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,163 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons (in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

What a mess!

Current Employee - Field Service Manager
    Current Employee - Field Service Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New adventure everyday and meet a lot of really neat customers.

Cons

Hours, pay, micromanaged, the way employees are treated, no loyalty to tenured employees, I could go on for days,

You hired managers with an extensive interview process, now let them manage instead of being puppets on a string.

Ready to move on.

Current Employee - Field Service Technician IV
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician IV

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoy the job. I get to work inside and outside, every job is different and there is always something new to learn. most customers are good to work with, others not so much.
    Pay is good
    401k is ok
    bonus potential

Cons

health insurance is terrible
    4 day work week but they will schedule you 5
    forget any plans on a work day (could be 8-15 hours a day)
    constant sales pressure
    senior micromanagement and middle management just forwards emails

the metric for HIC is absurd. you put the goal that is mostly out of my control and out of reach and then penalize me for not reaching it. that is a motivation killer
    different departments don't seem to communicate or share information
    black pants? for a field tech?

Favoritism is key here

I worked at DISH

Pros

The people you work with are normally nice, and the customers aren't so bad either. You are given lots of training to keep updated on company changes for customers. Pay is ok but most employees rely on making their payouts.

Cons

Management is all about favoritism. If they like you no matter how bad you are at your job they will keep you. They cover up for eah other. Benefits are not worth what we are required to pay. The stress level is not worth it, and it doesn't come from the job itself but the work environment. You never know if you'll be fired just because one of the coaches or managers doesn't like you or is trying to cover something else up and save their own butts.

Be fair with all employees including coaches, team leads, trainers and managers. Stop covering up for each other ad get rid of those that are actually hurtin the company instead of getting rid of lower employees .

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are definitely better opportunities out there

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Compensation is average for Maters educated hires
    - Good people
    - Work hours are not too long

Cons

- Benefits are pretty bad compared to other large companies
    - Pay does not scale well as you move up
    - No investment in employees for training or career development
    - No work hour flexibility

Management needs to stand up for their employees instead of keeping them down

The work is alright, the people are good, the pay is really lousy

Current Employee - Analyst/Developer II  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst/Developer II in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

if you work hard & do good, you'll be noticed.

Cons

there aren't too many cons. it'd be great if one can wok at home on snow days.

The sudden shift to company outings is a laugh. keep it & give fair pay!

Hard Work and Patience Are Rewarded

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been at DISH for 5 years and I've seen quite a bit of improvement in moral and employee engagement on a corporate level. If you aren't willing to work hard DISH isn't the place for you - if you are someone who thinks they are entitled to be promoted every six months just because you are there and not based on merit - go work else where.

I've moved quickly into a management position during my time at DISH and I've been given opportunities to learn and expand my skill sets. Although I've had one or two bad mangers - overall I've always worked with managers who care about me and my goals.

Cons

One of the things our CEO and Chariman has asked employees is to "know their business." Select departments know their business and understand other's roles. Many departments though don't know their business and how decisions impact other departments -this often means they end up creating more work for everyone else.

Vacation time is not ideal - and I believe we lose employees because of this. Employees only receive two weeks of vacation time until they hit 5 years and then they get 3. Not very competitive in today's job market. To attract the best employees DISH should be at least offering 3 or 4 weeks initially.

Although corporate has made retention a focus some department heads have not. We've lost a lot of great people as a result.

Focus on retention - recognize that we have talented people and focus on keeping them here.

Department heads need to do a better job of communicating - a lack of communication has caused countless issues.

Not a professional environment

I worked at DISH

Pros

The pay is decent and the 401k company match.

Cons

Words of caution... supervisors and senior management are rarely on the same page. Constant disconnect in communication. Very immature coworkers who do not take their job seriously. High school environment. Better be in cahoots with the right people if you wish to be promoted. Performance and track record are not your key to success here. I was told when I was hired that there are "plenty of opportunities for overtime if you need extra money" which translates to you must work mandatory overtime at a moment's notice. For those in school and those with life commitments, steer clear. This is a mediocre job and mediocre company at best, so if you consider yourself a professional and have even an ounce of respect for yourself, you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

Where do I begin...

Things are getting better all the time

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

There are a ton of opportunities for advancement and growth. The culture is slowly beginning to evolve. Profit sharing is pretty cool and the stock price isn’t bad either!

Cons

The Insurance programs are not great for families. I also don’t have as many holidays as friends with other companies.

I believe the culture here was pretty poor years ago but can see improvement every year. Keep going. We're not there yet.

DISH -- Very special company on the cutting edge of telecom

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have worked at DISH for close to nine years and can say it is a fantastic place to work. Yes, you will work hard; yes, they set very high expectations for you; yes, you will be challenged every day; and yes, there are no massages, ping-pong tables, or free cafeteria food. It is a pure meritocracy and rewards passion, intelligence and results. And, it is one of the most exciting companies in the telecom space today. We are known as a disruptive competitor. That makes every day fun. I am proud to be an employee at DISH and love working at DISH.

Cons

See above describing the type of work environment. This is not for every one.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Dish Network Installer
    Current Employee - Dish Network Installer

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the day I am my own boss but have management available if I need help. Great pay. Every day is different. Great bonus program. Positive feed back from management. Overtime available weekly. Three days off a week.

Cons

Can have difficult jobs. When you can't figure out how to do somthing it becomes very difficult to describe the problem although people are willing to help. Insurance can be better.

I have had great management. Continue to help and support.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!