DISH

1,883 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,210 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Good while it lasted

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here was the coworkers and the satellite programming benefit (all the normal channels and premiums like HBO, Cinemax and Showtime) for free.

Cons

Management doesn't always follow through on the promises they make. They adopted a high deductible healthcare benefit before it was the standard. You can still run into Friends of Charlie that get special considerations. Posted for two different positions that just disappeared.

Customer service rep

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay. We were paid weekly by direct deposit and never had an issue with this process

Cons

Long work week...the hours were overwhelming for my schedule at the time

Great place to get experience

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Immense possibilities to gain experience and be able to work on lots of different projects.

Cons

Benefits were atrocious when I was there. Also, the badge report was something everyone despised because it made everyone feel like they were being treated like a child.

I think bringing in Joe Clayton was a good move. Heard the badge report is gone and moral is up.

I have mixed feeling with this company. The constant policy changes and the work load expected from techs is ridiculous.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Minot, ND (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Minot, ND (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

3 day weekends
    Overtime is never an issue
    Pay in my area is good. $23/hr in ND.
    Take my own 4x4 company provided truck home
    Rarely see a manager's face
    Do jobs my own way.

Cons

Schedule is never consistent. My manager would change my schedule every 3 months to meet demands. And occasioanaly work 5 days which burn you out quick.

Dispatch runs the show and your routing instead of managers

Pushed to make sales on overpriced items every single day

Health Benefits is complete garbage. $5000 deductable

Impossible to get promoted with the new metric system based completely out of luck

Make health insurance more affordable

Stop changing the schedule so much

Stop shoving sale goals down our throats

Run. This place will suck your soul and asperations out and spit you back out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Learing about ineffective management techniques, and it's close to Denver.

Cons

Horribly managed company from the top down. The coo has such a micro focus that the large elephants in the room go unseen. Management for the top down should be evaluated and removed promptly. If managers and VP's are unable to make a decision or would rather defer serious problems to other unrelated departments, how does this behavior trickle down. There also seems to be some odd law in Dish that states senior executives and managers can yell and curse at employees because it's been a stressful day, or they don't like the employee's department.
    Benefits are horrible, and the do enforce the time clock so be prepared to be tracked.

Current management and departments need a complete overhaul, with many managers leaving

A company that has zero sense of its employees value and upper management is a disaster.

Former Employee - Management in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Management in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company will hand out titles like they're meaningless, so it's easy to get a title higher than the actual position you hold. Co-workers are generally good people who will share the same sentiment as those around them. Strong bond of co-workers feeling they're in the trenches together

Cons

The worst company I've ever worked for (and I received 4 promotions in 3 years). Dish is working very hard to hide the terrible morale within the workforce. As former management, I can honestly state that the company is trying to see how little it has to do to in order to change its image as the worst company to work for. Upper management is not equipped for the positions they hold and poor management is just transferred from one department to another. Dish believes that the title "worst company" comes from the technician and field workforce, but the corporate environment is far worse. Management (I was one of them) is consistently instructed to convince their employees how "great" of a place Dish is to work for, but is not allowed to work on a grass roots level to change the mentality and actually create a better work environment. The recruitment has turned to hiring mostly right-out-of-school in order to entice a workforce that will accept lower pay and has a lower skill set. This results in a company that is in shambles and has failed to turn itself around and provide a good work environment where the majority of the workforce doesn't leave within 1-2 years due to the poor work environment and lack of credible training. Do not work here unless you want to get stuck in a very poor corporate rhetoric work environment where your title will not dictate what you actually do, leaving you effectively worthless when it's your time to leave within 1-2 years (max). If it was a good company to work for, a majority of the workforce would not be consistently leaving. And don't get anyone who works there started on the benefits. HA! Worst benefits I've ever seen from a company of any size.

Advice to management-stand for a change or quit your jobs. Dish has poor upper management structure with very little insight as to what's actually happening with the workforce. You need to allow for more change on the bottom and keep your hands out of the suggestions and requests. Allow change to happen and reward those who make a difference without sacrificing their integrity. Restructure almost every department and strip out upper and middle-level management who are stuck in a position they are not qualified for. This also goes for the top of the top management. The company will not change until the heads of the company change. Work-life balance is essential in the workforce. Consider allowing for it! Benefits, make for happy employees. Consider it! Equal industry pay keeps good employees. Consider it! Actually hiring enough employees for departments will help morale. Consider it! Don't always worry about the bottom line or padding Charlie's wallet and the company might actually have change. Consider it.

Working in the call center is akin to being in an abusive relationship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free TV services - though unnecessary, it was fantastic to have the biggest poackage at no cost.
    The pay was decent for the most part.
    The benefit structure improved with the Affordable Care Act, but not a great deal.
    Open-office policy with site management was great.
    Career opportunities were always available in the career center site. Almost no feedback ever provided to internal employees seeking transfers if transfer denied.

Cons

Negative reinforcement was all my call center was able to provide. Rarely were actual day-to-day successes mentioned, or positive aspects that one does on the job. Some of my previous supervisors would have to add in the positive aspects, because evaluation forms did not give this in any way.
    Office culture - What a joke...negativity abounded at my call center. Cliques, such as I last encountered in middle and high school, ran rampant and were increasingly hostile as time went on. God forbid it if you ever expressed an opinion/thought/truth that wasn't what the majority held.
    Scheduling/Hours - Zero flexibility whatsoever. Always based on "business needs" even when the schedules did not make any sense with the queues.
    People with disabilities - If you had a physical disability, management was more than willing to provide reasonable accommodations. If you have a mental health disability, then you're out of luck here. No reasonable accommodation was ever discussed or provided.
    Training - substandard at best. Many front-line customer service agents were not trained to use systems or intranet searches for policy information. Information regarding processes and workarounds was not shared among internal helpdesk department, it was hoarded and never made available to all in the department.

Contact an expert regarding mental health. Don't assume, don't judge, don't be prejudiced against the person. Do not rely on anyone in HR to provide you on how to deal with someone with mental health issues. Contact a mental health professional!
    Provide positive constructive feedback instead of negative reinforcement. QA should provide actual feedback, both positive and constructive, to improve agents.
    Cut the CEO and Board of Directors' pay. Give that pay to your agents, who are the ones that ensure you have a business day to day. All of them, including those overseas, are underpaid and under-appreciated for their day-to-day work. 20-40% more in base pay would help.
    Better comprehensive training for all agents in all departments. If an agent cannot open an account in their systems properly using a button labeled "Access Account", then training has failed massively.

Worst company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at DISH

Pros

None ( overtime apply depending of the department you work)

Cons

Bad management
    Favoritism
    Low pay
    Extremely poor yearly raised
    Bad benefits

More like advice for the company.... value more your employees. ...

Not the best

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Technical Support in Christiansburg, VA (US)

I worked at DISH

Pros

Fast pace environment, great coworkers

Cons

The only constant at Dish is change.

Be more involved in your employees feelings, and maybe the turnover rate wouldn't be so high.

DISH Network Employee; 10+ years

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules; ESPP; nice campus; lots of opportunity for improvements

Cons

Mediocre benefits; poor travel policy