Daktronics Reviews

Updated 15 October 2014
3.4

Daktronics President, CEO, and Director Jim Morgan
Jim Morgan

Pros
  • Friendly supportive work environment with support and encouragement for personal development and education (in 5 reviews)

• Very friendly people to work with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no advancement, and employees are not people they are just a number (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay unless you are in with upper management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Ny time at Dak

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Daktronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people and a many very bright minds work there. Overall positive attitude and someone always willing to help.

Cons

Can't think outside the box. Too focused on product and not enough on customers needs. Not surprising competition has been catching up.

Tradition is great but can also hold you back

Great Midwest Vibe

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy-going atmosphere, excellent benefits and people.

Cons

Tends to be slow-moving. If you want something done you have to figure out how to do it yourself.
    Nice place to start, but they lack the modern atmosphere to keep high performing employees.

Only for people who don't know any better

I worked at Daktronics full-time

Pros

Great product; really cool to see product up and running. If you have never worked anywhere else this company appears to be great

Cons

Complete lack of ETHICS! They abuse interns by treating them like delivery people, would be amazed if the interns actually learn anything. Low pay unless you are in with upper management. I brought up a "conflict of interest" and was fired soon afterwards.

Put a CEO in who did not grow up in this broken system!

Great culture.

I worked at Daktronics

Pros

Benefits really great. Christmas time off wonderful if you save your PTO to get paid. Very friendly people to work with. Great opportunities for most departments (outside of manufacturing) to work from home. World wide, and recognized as top in their industry.

Cons

Life balance can be hard at times. Does not take in consideration overall experience, and focuses mostly on the degree earned.

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Sales in Brookings, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Brookings, SD (US)

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for college grads. Internship is gateway to full time offer. Diverse experience. Young workers given advanced experience and responsibilities.

Cons

Benefits are good for young, healthy workers. A lot of out-of-pocket if you are sick or have a family. Too much focus on process, not enough on being the industry leader.

Don't forget what put us on top in the first place. Lead the industry and don't let internal bloat bog us down.

Student position was favorite job I have had so far.

Former Employee - Human Resources Student in Brookings, SD (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Student in Brookings, SD (US)

I worked at Daktronics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun relaxed atmosphere, daily work and projects were presented clearly, got to work on projects and daily work that I felt really applied to my career goals, pay increases from course increments were great (really offset the low base pay, the increments can really add up for students who work there for multiple years). This experience has helped me get opportunities at a lot of big companies after my graduation.

Cons

Base pay was low and also seemed low for FT employees

It's been a pleasure to work for Daktronics.

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The flexibility of working from home, friendly local co-workers, regional leadership cares about moral.

Cons

Lower pay in industry (but perks can make-up for what is lost in pay), large global company with a small town mind set (Corporate executives seem to think inside of the box which has cost us some major projects to inferior competitors), too much turn-around.

Please go outside of SD to find executives that can encompass a better vision for the direction of the company. Stop with the nepotism when filling key decision making positions.

Excellent student opportunities available

Former Employee - Materials Buyer/Planner Student in Brookings, SD (US)
    Former Employee - Materials Buyer/Planner Student in Brookings, SD (US)

I worked at Daktronics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Daktronics allows for autonomy in the workplace. There are friendly and respectful coworkers. Student employees are treated like full-time employees rather than just seen as students.

Cons

The one con is that I would have liked to see more of the upper management, even if it was just a quick trip around the plant on an afternoon to wave at employees.

Continue promoting student employment. It offers a great place to work for students and gives real opportunities to learn real-world knowledge. Hopefully enough students transition to full-time upon graduation that the investment is worth it.

Opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Project Manager in Brookings, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Brookings, SD (US)

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly culture, helpful co-workers, plenty of opportunities to advance yourself and your career if you apply yourself. Also a lot of ability to transfer internally to other positions if you feel that your work is becoming stagnant.

Cons

Too much middle management, very poor training, lack of adequate compensation tends to push out good employees, causing a high turnover rate.

Develop job specific training, allow employees to make more decisions, increase compensation for high-performing employees.

Good opportunities for international students in USA.

Current Employee - Student Engineer in Brookings, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Student Engineer in Brookings, SD (US)

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible timings for student employees, great platform for international students to learn the american work culture.

Cons

Rate of conversion to being a full time employee is close to zero.