Daktronics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Daktronics President, CEO, and Director Jim Morgan

Jim Morgan

Pros
  • Friendly supportive work environment with support and encouragement for personal development and education (in 5 reviews)

• Good people on the floor, great product, exciting to see all the applications (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no advancement, and employees are not people they are just a number (in 4 reviews)

• Slow to react to some changes, lower pay in industry, no commissions (maybe a pro for some) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Student position was favorite job I have had so far.

Human Resources Student (Former Employee) Brookings, SD (US)

ProsFun relaxed atmosphere, daily work and projects were presented clearly, got to work on projects and daily work that I felt really applied to my career goals, pay increases from course increments were great (really offset the low base pay, the increments can really add up for students who work there for multiple years). This experience has helped me get opportunities at a lot of big companies after my graduation.

ConsBase pay was low and also seemed low for FT employees

It's been a pleasure to work for Daktronics.

Field Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe flexibility of working from home, friendly local co-workers, regional leadership cares about moral.

ConsLower pay in industry (but perks can make-up for what is lost in pay), large global company with a small town mind set (Corporate executives seem to think inside of the box which has cost us some major projects to inferior competitors), too much turn-around.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease go outside of SD to find executives that can encompass a better vision for the direction of the company. Stop with the nepotism when filling key decision making positions.

Excellent student opportunities available

Materials Buyer/Planner Student (Former Employee) Brookings, SD (US)

ProsDaktronics allows for autonomy in the workplace. There are friendly and respectful coworkers. Student employees are treated like full-time employees rather than just seen as students.

ConsThe one con is that I would have liked to see more of the upper management, even if it was just a quick trip around the plant on an afternoon to wave at employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue promoting student employment. It offers a great place to work for students and gives real opportunities to learn real-world knowledge. Hopefully enough students transition to full-time upon graduation that the investment is worth it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good opportunities for international students in USA.

Student Engineer (Current Employee) Brookings, SD (US)

ProsFlexible timings for student employees, great platform for international students to learn the american work culture.

ConsRate of conversion to being a full time employee is close to zero.

Great student employment experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brookings, SD (US)

ProsCollege student employees are given a large amount of responsibility, which provides a lot of good work experience.

ConsPoor management and no opportunity for upward movement within the company. The vast majority of position changes within the company are lateral movements.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow just anyone to become a manager. Ensure that your "managers" actually have managerial capabilities before allowing them to oversee 5-10 employees.

Opportunities for advancement

Project Manager (Current Employee) Brookings, SD (US)

ProsFriendly culture, helpful co-workers, plenty of opportunities to advance yourself and your career if you apply yourself. Also a lot of ability to transfer internally to other positions if you feel that your work is becoming stagnant.

ConsToo much middle management, very poor training, lack of adequate compensation tends to push out good employees, causing a high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop job specific training, allow employees to make more decisions, increase compensation for high-performing employees.

Great experience as a student employee

ProsWas able to get a lot of hands on engineering experience even as a student. Got to work with a lot of engineers in different fields.

ConsThere should be more communication between management and students to see what kind of experience the student is looking for

Lots of things going on

Hardware Design (Former Employee) Brookings, SD (US)

ProsA variety of interesting projects to work on and a very visible product. They seemed very interested in improving employee skills and giving more responsibility when you're ready for it.

ConsBrookings is a fairly quiet little town. Housing is rather expensive due to SDSU and compensation is on the lower end of the scale.

Great Place to Learn and Grow

Engineer (Current Employee) Brookings, SD (US)

ProsGreat People, healthy work environment, people want to do well, enormous amount of trust (good people do good things)

ConsStructure can be confusing especially comparing different factories and areas. Job security should go into the Pros section, but they have taken it too far (fire people that can not do the job!) Pay top performers top $ or they will be gone. High School and College GPA based hiring?

Advice to Senior ManagementMore direction and involvement

Excellent first job

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Brookings, SD (US)

ProsOpen, informal atmosphere
    Small-town values
    Lots of opportunity for internal advancement

ConsLower pay for some positions
    Understaffed in some areas
    Higher turnover

Worked for Daktronics? Contribute to the Community!