Daktronics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Daktronics President, CEO, and Director Jim Morgan

Jim Morgan

Pros:
  • "Friendly supportive work environment with support and encouragement for personal development and education"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay, no advancement, and employees are not people they are just a number"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The pay is notoriously weak, being based in south dakota doesn't really help the cause"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent student opportunities available

Materials Buyer/Planner Student (Former Employee)
Brookings, SD (US)

I worked at Daktronics part-time for more than a year

ProsDaktronics allows for autonomy in the workplace. There are friendly and respectful coworkers. Student employees are treated like full-time employees rather than just seen as students.

ConsThe one con is that I would have liked to see more of the upper management, even if it was just a quick trip around the plant on an afternoon to wave at employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue promoting student employment. It offers a great place to work for students and gives real opportunities to learn real-world knowledge. Hopefully enough students transition to full-time upon graduation that the investment is worth it.

Opportunities for advancement

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Daktronics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly culture, helpful co-workers, plenty of opportunities to advance yourself and your career if you apply yourself. Also a lot of ability to transfer internally to other positions if you feel that your work is becoming stagnant.

ConsToo much middle management, very poor training, lack of adequate compensation tends to push out good employees, causing a high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop job specific training, allow employees to make more decisions, increase compensation for high-performing employees.

Lots of things going on

Hardware Design (Former Employee)
Brookings, SD (US)

I worked at Daktronics as an intern for less than a year

ProsA variety of interesting projects to work on and a very visible product. They seemed very interested in improving employee skills and giving more responsibility when you're ready for it.

ConsBrookings is a fairly quiet little town. Housing is rather expensive due to SDSU and compensation is on the lower end of the scale.

Great experience as a student employee

I have been working at Daktronics

ProsWas able to get a lot of hands on engineering experience even as a student. Got to work with a lot of engineers in different fields.

ConsThere should be more communication between management and students to see what kind of experience the student is looking for

Great Place to Learn and Grow

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Daktronics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat People, healthy work environment, people want to do well, enormous amount of trust (good people do good things)

ConsStructure can be confusing especially comparing different factories and areas. Job security should go into the Pros section, but they have taken it too far (fire people that can not do the job!) Pay top performers top $ or they will be gone. High School and College GPA based hiring?

Advice to Senior ManagementMore direction and involvement

Excellent first job

Technical Writer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Daktronics for more than 5 years

ProsOpen, informal atmosphere
Small-town values
Lots of opportunity for internal advancement

ConsLower pay for some positions
Understaffed in some areas
Higher turnover

High quality products, high moral standards and sold management on the whole.

I have been working at Daktronics

ProsFriendly people, good products that live up to expectations making for a confident sales approach. Small town feel for a larger company, very approachable executive team.

ConsSlow to react to some changes, lower pay in industry, no commissions (maybe a pro for some). Little opportunity for advancement outside of corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a commission program, and multiple levels of sales positions in the field to offer growth to employees.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Daktronics

ProsNice environment and people to work with

ConsTown is too small and quiet

Daktronics treats people like machines and they enjoy having a lot of turnover out on the floor.

Brookings, SD (US)

I have been working at Daktronics full-time for more than a year

ProsDaktronics has very good benefits and there are a lot of interesting people that work there, but it is still a depressing place because these nice people are all paid low and not given enough recognition, so the morale is always low out on the floor.

ConsUpper management needs to appreciate the entry level managers (crew leaders) more and compensate them better. They are the ones driving morale and efficiency on the production line. They are held to a high standard when it comes to policies, but they are only paid .75 more than an assembly worker.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to appreciate the entry level managers (crew leaders) more and compensate them better. They are the ones driving morale and efficiency on the production line. They are held to a high standard when it comes to policies, but they are only paid .75 more than an assembly worker.

Company is ran by engineers with no business sense.

Electronic Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Daktronics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA pay check but you will probably need a second job to pay the bills.

ConsLow pay, no advancement, and employees are not people they are just a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap your HR department and hire some managers that are not engineers.

Worked for Daktronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Daktronics reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Daktronics CEO Jim Morgan. All 66 reviews are posted anonymously by Daktronics employees.