Darden

www.darden.com

Darden Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Darden Chairman and CEO Clarence Otis Jr.

Clarence Otis Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and the ability to walk with cash in hand are the best perks of this job(in 50 reviews)

• flexible hours and availability to trade shifts with other servers(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours that are not equivalent to the compensation package(in 26 reviews)

• Work/Life balance can suffer for those who are truly committed to advancing their career with Darden(in 12 reviews)

Olive Garden Waitress

Waitress (Current Employee) Middletown, NY (US)

ProsThe company truly treats you like family.

Consnone that I could think of

Great

ProsGreat PT work, and wonderful offerings for FT employees.

ConsAdvancement is vague, like all restaurants, work can become a game of politics.

Great company, a lot of work

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat and extensive training. The pay is great but make sure you negotiate no matter what your background is. Do not let them offer you less the 45K. They hours can be tough, but its a restaurant its expected. The longhorn concept is the hardest to work for. A LOT of work. Great company to grow with.

ConsPeople will step on you to get what they want. And that's all levels of employment. Not family friendly. If you leave dont worry about trying to come back, but still leave on good terms. The say 5 day work weeks but you could still could work 10 days in a row without extra pay. At this point the company is selling off brands so becareful who you choose (red lobster & Olive Garden)

Advice to Senior ManagementDear corporate, if your're going to give us new menu items come to the restaurants and see how the product is doing. It shouldn't take 15 steps to make an appetizer. Stop making the restaurant comp everything and sending unsatisfied guest gift cards without checking with the manager what happened. People are scamming us left & right

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

manager

ProsGreat learning experience. Tons of wonderful people.

ConsSaturdays and the whiny employees.

Server at OG

Server (Current Employee) Stroudsburg, PA (US)

ProsGreat training program
    Easy to get the days off that you need to maintain a family life

ConsThe management staff is not all on the same page and some do not have a very good style to manage the restaurant.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop favoring the complainers.

Staffing and training manager that loves working for Darden

Staffing and Training Manager (Current Employee) Fort Myers, FL (US)

ProsI am a Darden nerd that lives and breathes the core values! I live in florida so all time off feels like vacation! I have great work/life balance and couldn't be happier. If you breed the culture in your restaurant and buy in to the principles of Darden you will be very successful and have a winning team!

ConsI have no cons to add. I have been promoted twice, have received raises as deserved and have been mentored by great people within the company. The MIT program is top notch. My fiance is also a restaurant manager for a competing brand and the difference is unbelievable. His company allows GM's to hang out with employees, curse and belittle employees and health code is not followed. So glad I work for Darden!

Advice to Senior ManagementDarden manager Salaries are comparable to other restaurants, however Darden managers are held to a higher standard and perform at a higher level than managers at other concepts. They should be paid accordingly. If one can make it through the Darden hiring process and MIT program then they deserve 50,000 per year base pay...period!

Good Learning Experience

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay, Lots of awesome people, Good benefits for a restaurant group, good training process for front of the house

Conslong hours, chose customers opinions and aattitudes over employees, ridiculous rules, sidework wages terrible.

My experience with Darden has been wonderful.

Staffing and Training Manager (Current Employee) Hicksville, NY (US)

ProsThe best reasons to work at darden is that they provide you with the training that you need before putting you in the field. They are very patient and make sure that you understand things well.

ConsIt's hard to balance your life and work there. It feels like most of your time is spent there unless you remember to ask for the time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot the best career for someone starting a family but if your fresh out of college it's good.

Pretty good

ProsFlexible schedule, Good tips and lots of fun!

ConsStressful, the good shifts to make money are at the worst times of the week.

Good First Experience

Certified Trainer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsManagers were flexible with schedule and learned to work in a team. Also gain knowledge in sales

ConsNot everyone worked as a unit. And management would not be on the same page at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscuss issues that are important and communicate the same message as a unit.

Worked for Darden? Contribute to the Community!