Data Recognition Corporation

Updated 22 February 2015
Updated 22 February 2015
3.1

Susan Engeleiter

Pros
  • For the most part it's a low-stress work environment (in 11 reviews)

• Peers and most of the team leaders are pretty cool (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance, little true appreciation for employees (lip-service only), 60 (in 3 reviews)

• The work can be inconsistent so if you need to have 40 hours per week to cover your bills know that (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

DRC Impressions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work from a people perspective. They care about their people and let it show.

Cons

Work was cyclical thus causing some down time but that was changing the longer I was there.

Keep viewing your people as your greatest asset because they are!

Good Seasonal Job For Retirees, Homemakers, Teachers or Recent Graduates

Current Employee - Team Leader in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

You are trained for a seasonal position grading various state examinations. Atmosphere is very casual, no real dress code and can even wear shorts to work. After 18 years of being a stay at home mom, decided to pursue this as a means for a little extra pocket money. Pay is above minimum wage and there's an opportunity for weekly bonuses, based on attendance and sometimes overtime.

You also need to sign a confidentality agreement to not discuss these tests outside DRC. Once you are qualified to score these tests, and that is based on taking several tests yourself, you can choose your hours to work within a specific range of time, as long as you work the core hours of 8 to 4:30. While you are grading these tests, the room is silent, no music or iPods or anything making sounds are allowed. Whispering us encouraged. Phones must be turned off and out of sight since they contain cameras which prohibits the possibility of taking pictures of these tests. You can check your phone or make calls during a break only.

As readers, you are assigned teams, usually 6-8 in your group and report to your Team Leader. A person called a Scoring Director oversees the entire group. So you are sitting in front of a computer in a large room with about 4-6 groups, depending on the size of the project.

Two 15 minute breaks, which are paid and 1/2 hour for lunch, which is not. Free parking. Onsite lunchroom with several microwaves and refrigerators and a vending machine. Free coffee, tea and hot chocolate. You can also go out to eat as long as you are back within the 1/2 hour you are allotted. Strict adherence to time and breaks are insistent. More than one day off is frowned upon.

Once scoring begins, daily quota sheets are passed around listing how many papers you've read and scored and your accuracy against the other scorers. You are assigned employee numbers for anonymity. Team Leaders meet with their group to answer any questions or concerns.

This will be the third year I will be working there, first year and part of the second working as a reader and finishing the second year on another project as a team leader. So there is room for advancement and it's not based on years of service or whether you are an ex teacher, which I was not, as other reviewers have said. Advancement is based, in my opinion, on several things, such as being a speedy, but accurate reader, and the ability to get along with others.

I have seen some people that are very fast readers, but their overall attitude stinks, thus preventing them for future advancement.

There are several projects going on simultaneously and if yours finishes up, you may have the opportunity to work on another project if desired.

Upon completion of a project, you are given an evaluation whether the team leader and scoring director did a good job and they evaluate you on the job you did and whether they think you should return to work on future projects. This is a good job for those wanting a little extra money, but it is not a permanent position.

Cons

People should understand this is a seasonal job and will not lead into something permanent. Occasionally the air conditioned rooms will get cold because it must be kept that way because of all the computers. Management will turn up the thermostat, but can still get cold, so bring a sweater or coat. Would love to have more than 1/2 hour for lunch, especially since you aren't paid for it. During the beginning of a project, there might be some downtime if headquarters hasn't scanned enough tests to grade. Bring a magazine or book for these times.

Make sure an adequate quantity of tests are scanned as it is frustrating to just sit there or be sent home for the day after a few hours.

laid back

Former Contractor - Technical Consultant in Maple Grove, MN (US)
    Former Contractor - Technical Consultant in Maple Grove, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work was easy most of the time. Employees given much autonomy -- management wanted something done and it was up to rank and file to implement as we saw fit.

Cons

Occasional death marches. Depressingly sterile office. A lot of turnover. Mediocre technology. Many weak hires. Uneven management.

When you find good managers and employees, work harder to retain them. More stringent technical interviewing.

I enjoy it.

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

I've worked as a reader for several years in Sharonville, OH. Keep in mind the reader position is temporary and seasonal and won't be a career position. Whenever I come back I see team leaders and fellow readers that I've worked with presiously and it's good to catch up on our lives away from DRC. The work is interesting and even occasionally amusing. It is a casual atmosphere. Most of the team leaders I've encountered are willing to answer any questions you have with the work.

Cons

When leaving for the evening the parking lot can get a little chaotic.

Not what it used to be, not what it could be

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

Pleasant park-like location, no-charge parking, employee perks such as on-site gym, on-site cafeteria, profit sharing in the good years. Department / middle managers were very good, in my experience, in terms of listening to staff, and communicating. Fairly low-stress. A very nice holiday party was given every year, and occasional events like picnics and summer outings.

Cons

Working environment was silent and cold, like working in a library. Low annual pay increases, with little motivation to work harder. Daily time-reporting, weekly time-sheets, unbelievable pickiness in the recording of hours (or fractional hours) for tasks done or time off, even for salaried employees, with no balancing out or compensatory time-off when additional time was expected -- quite one-sided that way. Training was said to be available during the hiring process, but then was never permitted or supported. Upper management seemed to be flailing. Favoritism was common in some areas.

Raise compensation to market; don't treat experienced salaried employees like clerks working at their first job, show some trust in them; more forward-thinking / projection, so that there isn't hiring one month and lay-offs the next.

Good Part Time Job - Management Disappointing

Current Employee - Reader in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Reader in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DRC offers a part time job for people interested in scoring math and reading/writing state assessment tests.

Cons

People are appointed to group leaders and scoring directors based on longevity rather than talent or education.

Group leaders should have better people skills.

Just Don't

Former Contractor - Test Scorer in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Contractor - Test Scorer in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I received my check. That's it. I was struggling and needed money.

Cons

You won't get full-time work in the season time. You will get docked for even asking for one day off. The work is boring and monotonous. If you're struggling, that is the only reason to show up. They keep losing contracts, so you will get even less work now.

ok company

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

The people that are left are wonderful.

Cons

the owner..makes lots of promises and doesn't follow through. She is kind of crazy. She can decide she doesn't like you based on what you wore to work and find a way to fire you. All of her senior management are afraid of her and are yes-men. Not a very diverse work culture. It department needs major overhaul.

Senior managers..value your people.

project management

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation

Pros

lot of opportunities to move within internal groips

Cons

lack of structured approach towards managing teams leads to confusion

more communication and transparency