DealerRater

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chip Grueter

Come work for DealerRater if you want no work life balance!

Sales (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA (US)

I worked at DealerRater full-time for more than a year

ProsPros – Free on-site gym membership, catered lunches on Monday & benefits from day one.

ConsCome work for DealerRater! We are hiring anything with a pulse and telemarketing experience for our Sales team. We don’t mind if you don’t have automotive industry experience, or related online advertising/digital marketing experience, we will train you!

Although our training is mundane and outdated, and performed by a manager who has never sold the product, we will train you to sell our online reputation product.

For our Client Services and Customer Service teams, if you brown nose certain managers and go out for weekly drinks, you will surely receive a promotion within months of being hired!

We are inconsistent in our policies and pricing, and if you make 40+ calls per day you will be a super star regardless if you hit quota! Forget about prospecting your territory before calling into clients, its more important to make large quantities of calls versus quality calls according to our metrics plan.

We've designed our compensation plan to include an unrealistic quota, below industry average base salary plus monthly commissions.

This is not your everyday sales job; you will be expected to work more than 50 hours per week, put in the time on nights and weekends, even holidays. If you enjoy being micromanaged extensively, this is the place for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention when employee's both tenured and new provide insight into the actions of certain upper level managers. From an employee perspective, it seems you are turning a blind eye and don't value your employees opinions when they bring up their concerns.

Poor Management of Sales People & Territory's Assigned

Regional Account Manager (Current Employee)
Waltham, MA (US)

I have been working at DealerRater full-time for less than a year

ProsProduct helps client. Good people work here. Catered lunch on Mondays. Great benefits.
Office is very retro. Co workers are friendly, always willing to help out.

ConsLow base along with mismanaged territory assignment sets you up to fail. When a person leaves the company, rather than reassign the territory, it is left orphaned.
Micro-management for number of calls vs. quality. Constant lowering price on product devalues the offering. There is no work / Life balance here. You will be asked to work Saturdays.

Advice to Senior ManagementChip - Look into the sales department and how the territory's has been assigned and distributed. There are many Orphaned states no one can actively work. Most importantly raise the base before more people leave the company.

Love my job at DealerRater

I have been working at DealerRater full-time

ProsI've been working at DealerRater over 3 years. The people are hard working, fun and inspiring. There's the ability to grow into new roles and we have a suggestion box that is taken very seriously. Management is always willing to listen to new ideas and they care about my growth and happiness.

ConsIt's a beautiful old building, very retro, with high ceilings, so it can get rather chilly in the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for a great place to work

Where is the price integrity?

Woburn, MA (US)

I have been working at DealerRater full-time

ProsThe product we offer is helpful for the client.

ConsThey act like they are doing promotions when really they discount the product on a regular basis which makes the product lose value. It is pretty much a free for all on pricing. You are made to reach out to the same dealerships in your territory with the same product over and over until you are basically giving away the product. In the end you barely make a commission because you are discounting the product so much and forget having a life, you spend about 10-13 hours a day on the phone or prospecting just to make sure you don't get reprimanded on a daily basis. The sales team is pressured daily with condescending attitudes. The territories are spread way too thin and not organized properly or fairly; management does not consider your market areas and will expect you make as much as someone with a more populated area. You're set up to fail. There is no positive motivation and forget about pep talks all communications with management is negative and the tear you down. They fake company recognition by giving away small prizes but should really be focusing on better base pay and positive management that have a solid background in running a sales team.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to 1. Regain price integrity and show the client that your product is worth full price. 2. Make an anonymous suggestion box only for Chip to read so he can really see where the issues are in the company and what needs to be fixed; without fear or retaliation. and 3. Stop posting fake positive reviews as soon as someone post a negative review; as a review company you know that it looks pathetic and is clear it is a fake review. If employees were treated better they would write real positive reviews. Please stop with the forced fake reviews and take time to read the issues in the negative reviews and make the necessary changes.

Leading edge, forward-thinking and fast growing company.

Humbled Contributor (Current Employee)

I have been working at DealerRater full-time for more than a year

ProsVery fast growing company that has many new employees this year. This is a company that very frequently promotes from within creating new career opportunities at a quick pace. The culture allows some structure while allowing employees to expand their creative talents. The company is well respected in the market and industry.

ConsThe building is so cool to work in, I love coming to work everyday. Being a nicely renovated older building creates temperature variances that require having a sweater handy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing upper management. The focus on growth will allow others and myself to advance our careers, compensation and utilize our talents.

Bad, Unprofessional Management, Favoritism, & Poor Pay

Customer Support (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA (US)

I worked at DealerRater full-time for less than a year

ProsFun color scheme of walls in the office, friendly co-workers who are knowledgeable and helpful.

ConsPoor Management who creates a hostile work environment with favoritism and poor management skills. Overworked and underpaid, and do not promote from within. Only those who brown nose are considered for promotions and are rewarded with weekly drinking binges with senior level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a few courses on management, specifically how- to manage a department, and how to maintain a healthy work environment. Learn how to be professional, and base rewards and promotions on work and not how often an employee gets drunk with senior level management. While favoritism is expected in most work environments the extent it is here is completely unprofessional and borderline inappropriate. This is extremely uncomfortable to work with and is unfair to other hard working employees who get completely overlooked for opportunities for growth. The higher level management (CEO, VP, etc) need to become more involved with the management structure of the company, and would strongly recommend replacing some management at this time.

Working at DealerRater

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at DealerRater full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExciting opportunity to be part of a growing team. Employees are appreciated and heard. Work life balance is terrific. The employees are TOP shelf!

ConsCommute being in Waltham can be misery

Worked for DealerRater? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DealerRater reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DealerRater CEO Chip Grueter. All 7 reviews are posted anonymously by DealerRater employees.