Dealertrack Technologies

Updated 27 January 2015
2.7

Dealertrack Technologies Chairman, President, and CEO Mark F. O'Neil
Mark F. O'Neil

Pros
  • management really seems to care about work life balance and attempts to listen to it's employees (in 7 reviews)

• Remote opportunities, growing company, good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is micro managerial and often de motivational (in 7 reviews)

• Overall Benefits below average compared to other companies of similar size in the Greater New York Area (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

DMS Installer

Former Employee - DMS Installer in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - DMS Installer in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for but differences within the organization with installers and office personal.

Cons

See last remark no communication with employess

Open up conversation with employes

Too much micro management, no room to show your talents

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Telecommute, no room for advancement if you are not in IT

Cons

Low pay, micro managers, difficult managers, they don't value their employees

They work their employees to the bone, then dispose of them when done!

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part of DealerTrack is the employees / team members - There is a "core" team of employees that are dedicated, driven and loyal however, DealerTrack senior leadership is so involved in the corrosive behavior of MICRO Management employee don't have the opportunity to "make a difference". It's THEIR way or the highway.

Cons

The senior leadership has been in place since DealerTrack was conceived and they're only comfortable with their HANDS IN THE COOKIE JAR... They hire extremely talented people through false promises which, is in itself a receipt for disaster. Couple that with the extreme MICRO MANAGEMENT and MANAGEMENT BY FEAR - and you have an extremely cancerous environment. My advice (as a former employee) - STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AS POSSIBLE.... By the way, I'm not disgruntled, I'm sharing the horror I lived while at DealerTrack

MAKE CHANGES AND DON'T JUST TALK THE TALK - WALK THE WALK!

Great company if you want a career in automotive software

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rapid growth good opportunity of advancement

Cons

Same pro as rapid growth via acquisition.

One of the best companies to work for on Long Island

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY (US)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is understanding of work/life balance.
    Benefits are better then most companies I have worked for.
    Management lets their staff get there work done with little opposition or micro-management.

Cons

Office Space needs to be revamped (2 years till new building)
    Some staff and management suffer from over analysis.

One big mess

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation is relatively good. Some good products.

Cons

Their focus is on acquiring companies that provide solutions to better the dealer body. Though this is a great vision. It is poorly executed and poorly managed. Once the company is acquired the integration of the company within DT is not done properly. There is tons of miscommunication, redundancy of work, and no one really knows what others are doing. Especially if you are a field employee.

Training is non-existent and management is really out for themselves. Its a shame. I did not feel "at home" here and am glad to have left.

Focus on creating a good culture and perhaps turn-over rate won't be as high.

Good company if you are not in IT

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Relaxed, casual atmosphere. Great coworkers. Pretty flexible with hours. If your field is not technologically based I would recommend Dealertrack.

Cons

Dealertrack is not a technology company. They acquire technology companies. Technological decisions are made by management and not by the engineers. Bad practices/solutions will be decided on by management and will be implemented by technology, Not a fun place if you like being creative or designing the best solutions.

Leave the engineering to the engineers.

I used to love being here.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Dealertrack Technologies (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is possible to get back on track in this company but leadership change is required.

Cons

We used to be a product focused, dealer oriented company and in a year we have become a sloppy, unresponsive and unmotivated software team. Product and development used to be partners. We used to develop features that made sense to the inventory market. We were innovative and passionate. Now it's just a job. There is no leadership that understands our customer and understands what our dealers need to succeed. Now our competitors benefit from listening to and learning from those that used to work here.

Please get back to who we were. Let's get back to being focused on what our customers want and need to run their businesses. Let's quit chasing the quick win and focus on being the best in the spaces we are in.

Extremely HORRIBLE! This is a "good old boy club" at the TOP! There are some original employees that RULE the business.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Success, NY (US)

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time

Pros

DealerTrack has attracted some extremely good employees - They've also LOST a significant amount of these GOOD employees, due to the "work horse" style and burn out factor... This is the worst company to work for.

Cons

Senior Leadership - HORRIBLE!
    "DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO" mentality
    They will dismiss you at the snap of a finger --- Longevity (or a career) is NOT like to happen!
    Some SENIOR leaders are bow to the demands of other "LEADERS" because they too are fearful of losing their status.

Change your leadership

much potential falls very short...hugely missed opportunity to be a great company

Former Employee - Corporate in Lake Success, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate in Lake Success, NY (US)

I worked at Dealertrack Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

some work flexibility, good compensation

Cons

management very disconnected from staff. Appears many in management can't or don't understand the technology and/or what it takes to build it and attempt to have the bean counters manage it. They have missed the point entirely and seem to quantify their attempts at communication rather than actually communicate and listen and respond meaningfully. Not sure upper management has really been in the rank and file. Also, Terrible on-boarding of new or acquired personnel.

do a role swap. make the attempt to understand both sides of the equation. It will be a true eye opener...that is if they really want to see. also try adding some cultural diversity at the C and sub C level.

Dealertrack Technologies Photos