Demand Media

Demand Media Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Demand Media Co-founder and Interim CEO Shawn Colo

Shawn Colo

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet(in 6 reviews)

• Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees(in 4 reviews)

• After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles(in 19 reviews)

Was once a great place to build experience, but no more

Contributing Writer (Former Employee)

ProsThese are things I liked about Demand when I started writing for them, under the old system:

-Served as an entry point for new writers looking to build a portfolio (way back when)
    -Flexible hours
    -Remote work
    -Choice of topics (way back when)
    -Message boards for writers
    -Quick responses from editors
    -Range of assignments offered (way back when)

Cons-Low payment per article
    -Competition amongst writers for topics
    -The company changed its entire approach to content creation and management. To be honest, this has resulted in better quality product for them. However, when the change was made, information was misleading and it felt like management was trying to conceal what they were doing. Concerned writers on the message boards did not have their questions answered directly. While I don't believe anyone was "fired," the new model made it impossible for many new and less experienced writers to find any assignments they were deemed qualified to write. After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish the transition would have been handled more directly. Many writers would have still been upset by the changes, but I think they would have been more receptive and accepting if the plan and its implications had been made clear from the start.

Incredibly Frustrating Freelance Experience

Writer (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA (US)

ProsPrompt payment. They pay by PayPal twice a week, and are rarely late.

ConsMost editors have never had to experience all of the idiotic rules that Demand places on their writers. The titles are machine-generated based on SEO algorithms, so the available articles are mostly completely impossible to complete. When you find an article in which you can take an angle to satisfy the title, the editors will reject it because the source doesn't list the title verbatim. For instance, an example of an available title were, "Requirements for Private Sleuth in Iowa," you could easily show that Private Sleuth is a synonym for Private Detective, and complete the article based on one or more of the few legitimate sources that isn't on their list of hundreds of blacklisted sites. The editor would more then likely reject the article because the sources didn't specifically "Private Sleuth" in the source, stating that a private sleuth and a private detective aren't necessarily the same thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGoogle is dumping content farm-generated content like that from Demand Media. It's time to recreate your SEO-based algorithm for generating titles with titles that are generated by humans on subjects that people would actually want to read. Once you've done that, don't hire a single editor who hasn't contributed at least 500 articles to Demand Media projects. Most of the editors don't have a clue as to what it takes to write under all of your ridiculous rules.

Great Working Experience

Software QA Engineer (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA (US)

ProsFun loving people, work culture allows you to contribute and grow in career. Great benefits as well. Innovation is fostered.

ConsI thoroughly enjoyed my tenure at Demand Media. No Cons for me.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a great learning experience.

Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsRoom for growth and creative environment

ConsI don't have any cons about the company

Small Company Great work culture

ProsSmall Company Great work culture. Respect people as human being..Enjoying working here.

ConsLot of -ve news is in the media recently...But this is nothing do with employee environment.Good and competitive pay and benefits.

They didn't have a real program set up for an intern. I was just there for show.

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsAll the people who worked there were very nice to me. The work was easy because there was little to no work. I got to meet some people who were big players in the company but that didn't matter because i'm sure they forgot my name instantly.

ConsUnpaid internship where there was nothing to do. I basically wasted an entire summer sitting at a desk for no money browsing the internet. I attempted to reach out and get projects but they only had me do tedious tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou very honestly should not hire an intern unless you set up a more formal program. There was very little for me to do and very little supervising involved in my time. I think there were a lot of things I could have done that would have benefitted both me and the company.

Great

Prosinteractive work environment, great people

Consnot stable, can change structure dramatically

Content over quality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prostwice a week pay was good, in the beginning there was more than enough work to go around

ConsAvailable work slowed down to a trickle, recycled titles, arbitrary rating system

Good opportunity for writers to beef up portfolios.

Web Content Writer (Former Employee)

ProsYou get paid as quickly as you write articles.
    Plenty of topics to choose from -- there's something for everyone.
    Good way to beef up your writing portfolio.
    Good way to get feedback from editors about your writing.

ConsNo royalties paid -- once you're paid, that's it, no matter how popular an article becomes.
    Image selection can be difficult/dry (at least when I was writing for them--this may have changed).
    Topic availability can dry up on occasion.

From the freelancing side.

ProsVery consistent with pay schedule-if something goes wrong, they do try to fix it and pay on time. Section editors are very responsive, and they are trying to ensure the articles written make sense and are things people would want to read. They try to bridge the editor-writer divide and listen to both.

ConsLike all freelancing, inconsistent levels of work; sudden changes that are not always what you thought they would be. Take a wait-and-see approach to any news they have about changes rather than assuming the changes will be wonderful. Planning long-term can be difficult. You'll see people in the forum constantly say you have to have other clients, and this is very true. Freelancing for Demand has become more like freelancing for other outlets in that the days of thousands of articles are gone.

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!