Demand Media

Updated 23 January 2015
Updated 23 January 2015

Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet (in 8 reviews)

• Free lunch every Friday was icing on the cake (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Demand funnels each submitted article to an anonymous pool of copy editors (CEs) assigned to each special topic section (in 5 reviews)

• Demand Media is also notorious for low pay per industry standard, which is typically justified by throwing in stock options (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Entry level online editing - all electronic

Former Employee - Online Titling in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Online Titling in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Best place to be for an electronic 1099 position for word gurus. Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal. Great team members. Opportunity to grow. Excellent colleagues who work hard and appreciate the importance of punctuation, grammar and writing integrity.

Cons

Demand's HR process does not fit with corporate HR verification process. Since compensation was based on production - if work volume was low, weekly income was affected.

Was once a great place to build experience, but no more

Former Employee - Contributing Writer
    Former Employee - Contributing Writer

I worked at Demand Media part-time (less than an year)

Pros

These are things I liked about Demand when I started writing for them, under the old system:

-Served as an entry point for new writers looking to build a portfolio (way back when)
    -Flexible hours
    -Remote work
    -Choice of topics (way back when)
    -Message boards for writers
    -Quick responses from editors
    -Range of assignments offered (way back when)

Cons

-Low payment per article
    -Competition amongst writers for topics
    -The company changed its entire approach to content creation and management. To be honest, this has resulted in better quality product for them. However, when the change was made, information was misleading and it felt like management was trying to conceal what they were doing. Concerned writers on the message boards did not have their questions answered directly. While I don't believe anyone was "fired," the new model made it impossible for many new and less experienced writers to find any assignments they were deemed qualified to write. After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles.

I wish the transition would have been handled more directly. Many writers would have still been upset by the changes, but I think they would have been more receptive and accepting if the plan and its implications had been made clear from the start.

Good learning experience, great perks, management lacks vision & organization

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working environment: coworkers are friendly, smart and good to work with. Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games @ Dodger Stadium. Good health benefits and vacation (you start with 3 weeks).

Cons

Upper management is constantly changing its position and lacks vision. Every quarter, they change directions and focus on a new department instead of investing on the previous quarter's "great new idea".

Great Working Experience

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Kirkland, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Kirkland, WA (US)

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun loving people, work culture allows you to contribute and grow in career. Great benefits as well. Innovation is fostered.

Cons

I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure at Demand Media. No Cons for me.

It was a great learning experience.

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Room for growth and creative environment

Cons

I don't have any cons about the company

Great

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

interactive work environment, great people

Cons

not stable, can change structure dramatically

Small Company Great work culture

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

Small Company Great work culture. Respect people as human being..Enjoying working here.

Cons

Lot of -ve news is in the media recently...But this is nothing do with employee environment.Good and competitive pay and benefits.

Good opportunity for writers to beef up portfolios.

Former Employee - Web Content Writer
    Former Employee - Web Content Writer

I worked at Demand Media part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid as quickly as you write articles.
    Plenty of topics to choose from -- there's something for everyone.
    Good way to beef up your writing portfolio.
    Good way to get feedback from editors about your writing.

Cons

No royalties paid -- once you're paid, that's it, no matter how popular an article becomes.
    Image selection can be difficult/dry (at least when I was writing for them--this may have changed).
    Topic availability can dry up on occasion.

From the freelancing side.

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor

Pros

Very consistent with pay schedule-if something goes wrong, they do try to fix it and pay on time. Section editors are very responsive, and they are trying to ensure the articles written make sense and are things people would want to read. They try to bridge the editor-writer divide and listen to both.

Cons

Like all freelancing, inconsistent levels of work; sudden changes that are not always what you thought they would be. Take a wait-and-see approach to any news they have about changes rather than assuming the changes will be wonderful. Planning long-term can be difficult. You'll see people in the forum constantly say you have to have other clients, and this is very true. Freelancing for Demand has become more like freelancing for other outlets in that the days of thousands of articles are gone.

Web article content writing ups and downs.

Current Employee - Content Writer in Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Prompt payment, variety of assignments, work as little or as much as you need to.

Cons

rules constantly change, not always a lot of articles to write and new editors take awhile to break in

A review of current writers in your database for other assignments, rather than requesting each person interested in new or special assignments to do an application for each position would be helpful. You would get better quality writing for these new or special assignments because these are people who already know Demand Media rules.