Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated 21 September 2014
Updated 21 September 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions (in 27 reviews)

• Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

It is a pretty great and stress free environment

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

I live close to the store
    I love sports
    the associates are nice

Cons

Closing the store is my least favorite thing to do
    too many shoplifters

Employer provides a good working environment with excellent bosses that listen to employees.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Carbondale, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Carbondale, IL (US)

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a relaxing atmosphere where I performed well because I didn't feel pressure to perform a certain way. Lots of opportunity to move up.

Cons

They do really push you to upsale on everything, warranties, credit cards, etc. but I realize there are reasons for this.

Great Management and fun co-workers

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

The managers are awesome and there is always help when needed. You work apparel department alone; therefore, you gain leadership experience for yourself. Extremely fast paced.

Cons

I really liked working here. Honestly, there weren't many cons.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low-pay, entry level retail job, largely driven by loyalty program sales.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Hadley, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hadley, MA (US)

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of the sales associates are of a similar age (college age), so friends were easy to make, which helped a lot when it came to ask around if you needed a shift covered.
    Management in my store was generally friendly, and I found them to be amenable if I needed a schedule change.

Cons

Corporate has designed strange, multi-tier job titles between what are all, essentially, the same job: wandering the sales floor and neatening/putting out merchandise. I imagine it creates a level of competition between employees, and is there to improve performance, but it felt really manipulative to "award" employees with a new job title and a .50 raise when largely things remain unchanged.
    If you work the register, your hours will be cut if you do not sign enough people up for the store credit card and/or rewards program. They have high expectations for those numbers, and employees would sometimes fake customer reward sign-ups to protect their hours.

The policy of looking inside everyone's pockets, purses, and bags - even when an employee leaves for lunch - is really invasive.

A Good Retail Experience

Current Employee - Bike Technician  in  Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Bike Technician in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the managers at the Ann Arbor Location can make your worst days your best.
    Dress code is very relaxed.
    Pay is very competitive and fair.

Cons

Though some management is a pro, a lot of the managers have this sense that they only truly care about where their careers are going, not yours. There seems to be a lack of consistency with management from a day to day basis as well.

Smile, Love your job and treat your employees as such.

Go to work, do your job, leave...all there is to it.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Frisco, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Frisco, TX (US)

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

The busiest sporting goods store, so your day goes by fast.

Cons

Low pay and no room for advancement for hourly employees. I would've enjoyed the job a lot more if I knew as an hourly employee in the future I would have job opportunities at the company.

Take time to know your employees considering my manager didn't even know my name.

Great job until 'market' crashed

Former Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Was a great place to show off customer service and develop a client base.

Cons

Upper management ultra focused on controlling payroll expense at the sacrifice of overall customer service, then come down on store team for poor customer service reports from actual customers.

Spend some actual time in a store and be an associate to see what the customer experience is like with the limited payroll given.

I have had a good experience

Current Employee - Footwear Department Lead  in  Gainesville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Footwear Department Lead in Gainesville, GA (US)

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am a footwear lead and i have had a pretty good experience. I put the store in at the Gainesville, GA location and have been there ever since. I started out part time and made my way to full time. Good benefits for full timers, good discount, cool products, and a good experience for future jobs if you are looking in to business management.

Cons

Corporate only looks at the bottom line and management is always being hired from the outside.

promote from within. if associates are treated well they will treat you well.

Not a bad place to work...

Current Employee - Lodge Associate
    Current Employee - Lodge Associate

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

Well, it's retail. What can you say? At least you don't have to be ashamed working there because most of the stores are kept in pretty good condition and they don't hire a lot of idiots. Things are laid-out pretty good for you so you don't feel "what the heck am I supposed to be doing?" very often. Store management will pitch-in and get their "hands dirty" to get stuff done.

Cons

Almost zero feedback from management. I had my annual performance review and was told a bunch of stuff that I did wrong almost a YEAR ago. Why didn't they tell me earlier? Another big issue is that the Team Leads (aka department managers) have no scheduled overlap with their employees. It's kind of hard to get things on the right track when your time with your supervisor is limited to a few seconds when you meet at the time clock on your way in or out. Scheduling is another issue because they only publish next week's schedule a few days before the beginning of the week. But they require you to request time off three weeks in advance. Medical and health insurance benefits for part-timers is pretty basic and not worth much.

1. Build-in overlap time with the Team Leads and their Associates.
    2. Let the stores have some leeway in their merchandising. Don't try to run everything by remote control from Pittsburgh. We have gondolas of stuff that simply will not sell because nobody in the area participates in that sport.
    3. Hire mature adults more often. You'll have less supervision issues. My store sometimes feels like Romper Room.

Great college job

Current Employee - Front End Sales Leader  in  Syracuse, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Sales Leader in Syracuse, NY (US)

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, chance for advancement if I wanted to stay in retail. Management was fun as they should be in a retail sporting goods store.

Cons

Time off policies not the greatest, I was in charge of enforcing these as a supervisor.

Student employment is a major part of the staff so value them.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!