DigitalGlobe

Updated 13 November 2014
3.3

DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr
Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Pros
  • Working with smart and truly good people (in 7 reviews)

• Work/life balance was highly promoted by all levels of management (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management does not rely on employee experience to accomplish tasks (in 4 reviews)

• The lack of utilization of the remainder talent identified as important to the merger was non-existent (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

More than Satisfied

Current Employee - Senior Imagery Analyst in Longmont, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Imagery Analyst in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Consistent Challenging, cutting edge opportunities

Cons

I have Nothing to complain about

I have been an employee for almost ten years here at DG and have been afforded a handful of opportunities to excel and push innovation within the satellite imagery industry. I hope to be here 10 years from now!

Love/hate experience

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with smart and truly good people. I gained a lot of experience and some personal friendships during my time there. Interesting industry.

Cons

Chaotic and stressful environment which caused some really great employees to burn out or move on in order not to burn out.

Walk your talk.

Good Company

I worked at DigitalGlobe

Pros

High Tech on the cutting edge of imagery.

Cons

Too far from Denver to Longmont

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The technology, benefits, pay and people make this a great place to work.

Cons

Long hours during certain projects

Enjoyed my position until the merger eliminated my position.

Former Employee - Mission Manager in Dulles, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Mission Manager in Dulles, VA (US)

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for GeoEye before the merger. The compensation was competitive and I really loved working satellite operations. The company provided a very fair severance package and did offer job placement assistance.

Cons

I don't believe that DigitalGlobe fully appreciated the quality of the operations team they inherited from GeoEye and were too optimistic about how easy integrating the operations teams and satellite systems would be.

I am not familiar enough with DigitalGlobe management to give good advice. I wish them luck in navigating the company through the rest of the merger.

Great work life, bad systems

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work schedule, vacations, staff and co workers

Cons

systems not stable, same issues keep reocurring

A place that encourages employees to do their best work

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DigitalGlobe’s growth creates an environment which is constantly evolving. This evolution provides multiple benefits but one of the most compelling is the opportunity to be an active participant in continuing to build a great company that is shaping the industry. This build mentality and culture creates tremendous professional growth and the opportunity to work on projects and initiatives that are unparalleled. No two days are the same.

Cons

Rapid growth and change leads to a chaotic environment at times which can detract from doing your best work.

Continue to focus on building a culture that values employees and creates opportunities for professional growth. Great progress has been made over the last two years - keep it up!

Bad experience, left after two weeks.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Longmont, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice culture, decent pay, good benefits, casual dress, easy to get to HQ location. Will be moving to a more central location sometime around the end of 2015.

Cons

On day one was given different manager and job duties than what I was offered or accepted. No one even explained this to me, it just happened. When I asked about it I was told change is inevitable and constant. I never would have chosen to work for the manager I was assigned, for many reasons. When I expressed concern that my skills would go unused, they did suggest perhaps there were some solutions in the future. However, my manager was so abusive to the team, even in the two weeks I was there, I knew I couldn't wait it out. Disorganized, inconsistent corporate policy. Large job turnover, disguised in the growth. No time to ramp up or train in new job, I can self-start, but this was extreme.

Treat employees well, no matter what their level. Value employees enough not to bait and switch them, or just tell them change happens. Be honest. Also, don't advertise vacation when you really offer PTO. The two are very different.

Dynamic and fast paced technoogy company making an impact in the world.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The commitment to the company's Purpose of Seeing a Better World is sincere. I believe that employees are aligned behind the belief that everyone's contribution counts and can make a positive difference in the world. Benefits and compensation are good. The people are some of the smartest and most talented. Senior management is very vocal about expressing appreciation for individual contributions formally and informally. Corporate values are more than words on paper and the commitment to strive to live the values is part of the culture in every day interactions.

Cons

Company is constantly changing and adpating to changing competitive environment and with that comes a lot of stress and uncertainty. Not enough time to pursue available development opportunities.
    Enterprise tools and systems limit productivity and efficiency.

Walk around more. Be more visible. Some leaders have open door policies and others don't.

Smitten by space with great tech and vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

If you want to work on things that are significant and change the world, this is the place. There is a huge opportunity to understand what is going on around the world at any given time since the business is inherently global. DigitalGlobe is a big(ish) company that operates similar to a startup where everyone feel like they are in this together and are aligned every quarter and every launch. Very interesting tech problems are solved here from launching satellites to distributing PBs of content, to analyzing and understanding what is going on inside those PBs.

Cons

United mentality has too many people focused on the quarter rather than on internal metrics. Launching satellites creates a specific culture of thoroughness and rigor rather than around 'failing fast' and iterations.

Allow employees to take ownership of things they are passionate about.