Dillard's Reviews

2.3
1,040 Reviews

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 136 reviews)

• Great starting pay that lasted exactly 6 months till first review period (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to resign before being "let go" due to outrageous daily sales goals (in 115 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Retail job

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

Pretty good company to work for.

Cons

You have to work retail hours.

challenging

Former Employee - Women Shoes Sales Associate  in  Columbus, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Women Shoes Sales Associate in Columbus, GA (US)

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is good and hours are great

Cons

meeting sales goal making sales goal and becoming a top sellers and management refused to allow a move to another department. selling shoes is challenging

Advertise more and listen to employees suggestions

good work and life balance

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Little Rock, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Dillard's part-time for more than a year

Pros

hours are not consistant, hard to manage your schedule

Cons

low pay, lots of drama

none

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great career opportunities in a friendly work place.

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Support from management with recognition for great results and effort are the best with Dillards. The culture is one of creativity and willingness to try new things. Great service to its customers really stands out as a leading core value to this company.

Cons

Technology updates continue to challenge all companies. Dillards is working hard to keep up, but more needs to be done at a faster pace. The best technology provides employees with the best tools for their success

Keep up the great work. I am proud to work at Dillards!

Customer Service/Cash Office

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cash Office  in  Temple, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cash Office in Temple, TX (US)

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good job and a lot of support when I needed it.

Cons

No room for advancement in the position. If there was, it was never made clear. Also, I was put on the schedule and always worked the hours given/asked (usually about 35 hours, unless people called in), but then got in trouble for "working over my time" when corporate talked to my store manager. He said he had talked to me about my hours before, but he didn't, and that since he was getting written up, I was getting written up. The next week, I was scheduled for 17 hours.

Talk to everyone, even the ones who aren't on the sales floor. The store's goal is to make money, yes, but it isn't just the sales associate who see and talk to the customers. All employees have some kind of ideas for improvement, it might help to pay attention. Even if you can't do everything, people feel values when they are given the chance to share their ideas.

VERY stressful

Former Employee - Sales Manager Area  in  Frisco, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager Area in Frisco, TX (US)

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Only reason to work here is money. Make as much as you can as fast as you can and get out while you are still alive...

Cons

As a manager there is no such thing as time off. You are required to put you email on your personal phone and answer it at all times. Being called in on your day off is not only common but required

Be prepared at all times for anything. If the customer does not want a chunk of you your boss will..

The management is reasonable and supportive, creating a positive work environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

There is good communication and ease of relationship among all employees from the top down.

Cons

Quotas are difficult to meet, especially when you have no control of the number of customers who come in.

Make quotas more achievable.

decent pay no vacation

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ (US)

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay and lucked out with lovely coworkers, perfect if you're a student and only working part time

Cons

They push you to make sales goals even on days when absolutely nobody is even in the store

Positive experience if store is making plan, terrible place to be if store hits a tough stretch.

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great chance to take advantage of some wonderful prices on nice merchandise. Possibility of moving up quickly through the ranks but without the training that will help you suceed there.

Cons

Training for all positions from sales associate to business managers to sales managers is non-existent. The work atmosphere is one of fear, fear of not making your goals, fear of being let go, fear of corporate visits. This feeling of dread starts with the Store Manager and trickles down into the rank and file. Not a very happy place to work. Terrible benefits package, insurance is frightfully expensive with equally frightful deductibles.

Put resources back into the store to make it a great place for people to shop. Don't let the physical building deteriorate to the point where people no longer want to shop there. Lighten up the atmosphere and make it a place where people want to come to work. Show more appreciation for associates, they work very hard for you.

Could be worse

Former Employee - Selling Specialist  in  Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Selling Specialist in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay. With the right area manager, there's plenty of freedom on the floor and with scheduling. Fairly exciting place to work if you consider yourself a self-starter who doesn't need much direction in tasks.

Cons

The current modified commission system is antiquated at best. Tasks like markdowns and shipment aren't scheduled well, so there are weeks where you feel like you're constantly playing catch-up followed by weeks where you have literally nothing to do. Coaching from above is almost non-existent. There's very little upward mobility as I was told that they rarely promote associates to area managers, and even then it's only if you're a shoe department specialist.

You need area managers who are more hands-on and who are good cheerleaders and coaches. Fix the sales-per-hour system so that you reward the hard workers and not just the best sales people, as the two rarely are the same person.

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!