Dole Food

Dole Food President, CEO, and Director David A. DeLorenzo

David A. DeLorenzo

A good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsA lot of "wordly" exposure

ConsCorporate environment with long waits before career advancement

Must be willing to drink the Kool Aid

Monterey, CA (US)

I have been working at Dole Food

ProsCorporate culture of honesty and even handedness that I support. Healthy products I can believe in. Senior management at DFV has made good on its promises and has a clear direction. The employees are dedicated and contientious.

ConsRecent culture of overworking many employees to bring down costs. Long term burnout and poor decision making are starting to show. Middle managment in my dept. seems unfocused and incapable of making and sticking to a decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to consider the long term effects the current cost cutting has on employee ability to make good decisions and on burnout. Focus on training and retaining employees and bringing up their skills rather than outsourcing or 'hiring' competence.

It is a great place to gain experience.

ProsWork life balance.
Great co-wokers.
Team work mentality.

ConsLow paying jobs.
Limited opportunity to move up.

I worked in IT, and was given plenty of opportunities and independence to learn and grow.

I worked at Dole Food

ProsThe people are very professional, motivated, and well managed. It seemed that the executive and management team had the experience and charisma to properly lead by example.

ConsThe department I worked in was very lean and short staffed, so I was not allowed to take any time off the first year. That fact, along with the long hours and periodic micro management, did not instill confidence that my superiors would reward my hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a better work life balance will increase employees' work productivity, and their retention rate. Overall, giving a little more freedom will empower people to work more efficiently.

Overworked-underpaid

Research Coordinator (Current Employee)
Davao (Philippines)

I have been working at Dole Food

ProsGood Training, with a lot of exposure to all aspects of operations, international experience, good benefits package

Conslow pay, overworked, no clear career plan, no succession planning

Advice to Senior Managementrethink employee compensation package, a lot of brain-drain is already happening

Poor Management of a Great Brand Name

Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Dole Food

Pros- Location - you can't go wrong being in the Santa Monica Mountains and 10 miles north of Malibu.
- Work Life balance is nice because I live close to work, not the same story for my coworkers.
- Nice building to work in.

Cons- Company expects brand name to carry it to success.
- Management doesn't financially support the growth of the brand.
- Most employees work here because it is in the location they want to live.
- Very inefficient.
- Reactionary vs. visionary company.
- Focused on stuffing ourselves into a niche that hinders financial growth.
- No leadership development resulting in some key leadership positions being filled with incompetent leaders
- No true accountability or execution.
- Uninspiring
- California is beautiful but expensive, especially when we haven’t received a bonus for the past number of years in order to pay down company debt

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that people will make or break a company. Dole is a great brand, but it is deteriorating because of the middle management. Some Key Managers in the habit of using band-aids to hide their own poor decisions and weaknesses.

dole food

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Dole Food

Prosthere are few lay offs and high level of security. most jobs are not challenging or stressful, get free fruit

Consno opportunites to grow, no innovation, very backwards and old fashion, not a lot of training opportunites offered, only senior management has a say in what goes on , no flex time schedules or work from home options (in practice, theory maybe)

Advice to Senior Managementget with the times! employee satisfaction and work life balanace leds to a great success for the company, work with people and their lives/desire

Good place to start

Enterprise, AL (US)

I worked at Dole Food

ProsA very solid place to work with great co workers and opportunities. I did like the Career Opportunities. But the communication between compensation workers and Senior leadership was second to none.

ConsLong hours and physical labor were just a few cons. The work life balance was pretty good but It could have been better. The pay was low for the amount of work that was expected of you on a day to day basis. With an education this job may have been better for me but i was treated with fairness and respect. The senior leadership could have been stronger.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your workers

Worked for Dole Food? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dole Food reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Dole Food CEO David A. DeLorenzo. All 18 reviews are posted anonymously by Dole Food employees.