Dollar Tree

Updated Mar 28, 2014

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser

Bob Sasser

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I feel very fortunate to have ended up here

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCorporate culture values making the office an enjoyable place to spend the workweek, and work-life balance is a priority. Associates tend to be friendly, yet focused on achieving success for the company. The self-centered career-maniac types, or just plain poor workers, may find it hard to advance. Hard work and smarts will be noticed and rewarded. I feel that Dollar Tree has recognized and values my talents, and that no matter what direction the company takes in the ensuing years, there will be a place for me (job security).

Mistakes are viewed as learning opportunities, and it will take someone a lot of flubbing up before losing their job. I have enjoyed a lot of autonomy in my job. The expectation is that I use sound judgment and make decisions on my own, seeking guidance when needed. Management appreciates creative thinking, and that sometimes "asking forgiveness instead of asking permission" is the right call.

Bonuses are based primarily on company performance and can get really big when the company performs well, which it typically has over the past several years. The company has proven adept at consistent growth during my time here, and expects to continue growing for the foreseeable future.

401(k) match is better than average (100% match up to 4% of pay).

Associates regularly rub shoulders with and participate in projects and meetings with the executives. The company president knows me by name and is aware of what I am doing for the company. Particular to my department, our VP is always accessible, like just another member of the group, and is very loyal to those who work under him.

ConsHealth care premiums are high, and I wish HR would offer more incentives to improve health and lower cost (see "free soda" below). The obese chain-smokers (and there are plenty in the office) and I pay the same.

Dollar Tree is light on perks, but I dig the ones we have (free birthday lunch and other free lunches during the year, soda fountain in the cafe, occasional blue jeans on Friday).

There is little difference in yearly salary increase between those who "exceed expectations" and those who just do enough to keep their jobs. The real boost in compensation will usually come from promotion, which may include a larger bonus and stock award.

Challenging Work Environment

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompensation is fair. Success is rewarded financially.

ConsThe workload is immense and the expectations are unrealistic. There is an extreme culture of micromanagement and finger pointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people.

Promises,Promises

Buyers Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pro's are job stability and some dedicated co-workers. A modern work area and café.

ConsNew stuffed shirt Managers that they hire off of the street, that know nothing about the job. Associates do all of the work, with little recognition, they make the big bucks.

Advice to Senior Management"Where did the fun,I'm proud to work here, go"?

Great place to work

IT Help Desk (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits and decent pay. Co workers are great to work with. Different types of work schedules to help work around school.

ConsNot alot of advance chances. Pay increases can be low at times. No ice on the weekends to get drinks.

Great company to work for!!

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee)
Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for more than a year

ProsCompany Culture
Cafeteria had great Food

ConsManagement should be better qualified

I love my job.

Replenishment Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, strong leadership, stability

ConsNo growth potential, decreasing benefits with increasing premiums, high stress environment

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees.

Good Place to Start

Logistics Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dollar Tree

ProsCompany is doing really well in this economy and continues to grow. Good job security.

ConsNot much room for growth. Once you become a Senior Analyst you're stuck there. Not much communication between management and analysts. Very low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication about projects going on in the department. Give employees a better understanding about their career track within Dollar Tree.

Dollar Tree needs to realigned itself to support its new growth.

Logistics Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dollar Tree

ProsGrowing Company
Stock price sky rocketing (2003 - 2011)
Learning capabilities endless

ConsUpward mobility (horrible)
Relationships (horrible)
Upper Management (Logistics) out of touch Steve White (CLO) needs to enforce his direction!

Advice to Senior ManagementCLO, ensure VPs enforce your direction.

Foster a culture of team building.

Get rid of ARP to reduce turnover.

Great Company to work for corporate side

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Dollar Tree

ProsGreat work environment and good benefits on the corporate side. Company offers fun activities and takes care of employees. Very strong growth and leadership.

ConsDependent on what department you are in there is limited growth opportunity. Advertise promotion with in but only to some extent and mostly for field management (store, district and regional managers)

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more within on the corporate side, move to different departments if applicable.

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Tree reviews and ratings in Chesapeake, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dollar Tree CEO Bob Sasser. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Dollar Tree employees.