Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser

Bob Sasser

Pros:
  • "Easy to work with other employees because there arent that many but enough that you can request off if need be"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Part-time positions are relatively stress-free"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay is minimum wage, but that is what you'd expect from a job like this"
    in 27 reviews
  • "You really can't trust upper management as far as you can throw them"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was alright working there

Cashier and Stock (Former Employee)
Oakdale, MN (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for more than 3 years

ProsAll of the people I worked with were awesome, the manager was the best manager because she would tell me to do this an this and just let me do it she didn't bother me with anything unless it was important or something serious

Consover time they started cutting my hours to down around 5-10 hours a week and that wasn't cutting it just getting less then 100 dollars a week, the only other con would be the district manager for the twin cities area in Minnesota she has no regard to how people are as in when its hot out and moving boxes around for inventory in the heat in a gaint warehouse and wont let anyone take a break that not how you run a company, also she put me on the no hire list because she didn't like how I did my job, it worked better then what she had done all she does is complain, she needs to go.

Advice to Senior Managementthe only advice I have is don't treat you employees like they are mindless tools, be compassionate when they need time off because of unfortunate events in their life there are always another person that can use those extra hours.

Not a bad place to work if you are willing to work.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI enjoyed my time I spent with this company. I had a great dm to work for, and as long as I did my job to run a great store than I had no issues. I left for more money , but have thoughts of trying to return back as a dm. The pros were being able to make your own schedule, and it being flexible. Fast paced environment that changes constantly. You can create the culture you want in your four walls. Company has a good business model, and is very stable.

ConsVery physical, and have a lack of hours for proper staffing. Upper management is the good old boys network that has some people in place that do not understand the nature of the business. You also have to be prepared for long hours as this is retail, and that means holidays. Company is building stores right on top of each other, and if this happens to your store you can say goodbye to your bonus. Customers can be great, but you also see the under belly of society in this business.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within- you have great store managers and dm's that should be moving upwards. Stop bringing in leaders of failed companies when you already have the talent that knows how to make your company successful.

Assistant Store Manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Clifton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than a year

ProsFlex schedule under the right manager.
Good staff, benefits for full time employees, ability to transfer state to state.
Great merchandise.
Great starting opportunity.

ConsPay is not good for the amount of work involved.
not enough staff to help customers and customer become rightfully angry.
some store in dangerous location without security or amble lighting at night.
night bank deposit are dangerous at certain locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider having no less that 3 - 4 plus management regular staff members on schedule at all times. This will ensure cleanliness of store, stocking and most important proper assistant available to customers on the sales floor. I worked in retail for over 20 years in all aspects, and this is the first high traffic company with the least amount of proper staffing. Its unrealistic for certain districts. It might work for certain areas but you must consider the location when staffing. Good company can be one of the greater ones with a better retail structure.
Offer your staff a better salary and you can get some real quality people on board. Consider Costco and Trade Joe type companies when staffing, they have happy team members and its always a pleasant experience for the customer.

It was a great place to work.

Dollar Tree Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI loved working there, it was fun and easy. the atmosphere was great the customers where always very nice.

ConsSometimes there weren't enough people working during busy hours or days, the company rises weren't that great, and at the dollar tree I was working at when there was a position to move up in the company they would ask people that just started for the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees and who you are hiring, not everyone is doing the best at the job. Also show that you care about the people that work for you ,3% for a rise is kinda low for the stuff that cashiers have to deal with.

This was an overall good experience.

Cashier and Stock (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for less than a year

ProsI was able to gain experience as a cashier, so counting money and interacting with people. These are two good skills that many will need moving forward in their careers (especially people skills).

ConsThe store management lacked accountability from within which led to internal issues. Pay (minimum wage) does not match the work we had to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with the employees and store management to be more on one accord with the stores needs.

high paced

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
University Place, WA (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for more than 3 years

Prosvery happy environment, fast paced. Great bosses

Consso much to do so little time. Not the best paying job..

Advice to Senior Managementkeep busting you butts

Perhaps The Best Place I've Ever Worked For (Though I'm only 30 years young)

Quality Control Auditor (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree full-time for more than a year

Pros1.)100% company-paid health insurance premiums;
2.)A set schedule;
3.)Raffles on 15 minutes breaks during mandatory overtime;
4.)An overall VERY helpful management team (at least in my DC);
5.)You'll always have 40 hours, even during brief periods of slowdown--they will NOT force you to take voluntary time off if you wish to get paid a full 40 hour work week;
6.)Lots of cross-training from department-to-department;
7.)88 hours of paid time off (PTO) if worked for 2 years or under;
8.)You don't have to kiss ass to get a promotion;
9.)Employees become like a second family, as do some supervisors;
10.)Regardless of department, (except in allocations or human resources) you will get paid exercise, whether it be by throwing boxes, loading trucks, or walking around.

Cons1.)Mandatory overtime--it seems as though we were promised a four-day work week at 10 hours a day, but we rarely see that; there are maybe two-and-a-half months where we ever actually adhere to the four-day work week. This is an excessive burden for associates and managers alike who have families, friends, or community obligations as once mandatory overtime is scheduled, you CANNOT get out of it without getting an attendance occurence; and sometimes we are worked 14 days straight without a day off, so many associates are more prone to accidents and injuries from being overworked;
2.)Rarely, if ever, closed or delayed for inclement weather. (Where I'm at it consists of several inches of snow and/or ice.) Depending on the general manager's mood, can decide to excuse or not excuse those who do not come in due to the road conditions;
3.)PTO is automatically taken before unpaid time off if you are requesting time off during the week that is not your normally scheduled day off; also, there is NO sick time or personal time. If you call out, you will get PTO deducted and be charged an occurence;
4.)The attendance policy is the strictest I've ever encountered; only allowed three occurences in a rolling six months before you are written up; the only way to wipe away the most recent occurence is by working two months with no tardies, leave earlies, or absences;
5.)SAFETY: THIS IS A BIG ONE FOR ME. It probably depends on which DC you work at, but where I'm at, I have brought numerous safety hazards to appropriate management and the safety director, but nothing is ever done to correct the situation. (I.E, broken pallets that are about to fall from the overhead racking, pallets stacked too high in the return areas, emergency exits blocked by pallets, etc.)
6.)You have to be careful with who you say and what you say when it comes to management--sometimes you may think they're on your side, but are really just playing the role of wolf in sheep's clothing;
7.)Human resources tend to side with management on most issues and if you contest their decisions, they'll find anyway to nitpick your job to get rid of you.
8.)You need to wear about four layers in the winter time, and next to nothing in the summer time because of inadequate heating and zero air conditioning.

Advice to Senior Management1.)Safety needs to be number one in this industry. Although it is claimed to rule over anything else, that is not the case in my DC. Serious hazards abound and nothing is done to remove them because as management, they don't want to fall behind on their work. This has to stop--17 accidents in a one month period is far too high.

2.)Consider (slightly) amending your attendance policy; the majority of employees are single or divorced parents with young children, and young children often get sick at school and need to be picked up. However, in leaving the job early, employees are penalized with occurences and deduction of PTO.

3.)When there is six inches or more of snow expected, or that has already fallen, CALL OFF work for the day or at least allow a few hours for the DOT to clear the roads. It is dangerous to have employees risk their lives just to get to work and keep up with the high demands of the industry.

4.)If you're going to force overtime, give employees more notice than just Wednesday; and don't make the employees work 14 days without a day off. This is just begging for accidents and injuries.

Fun

Cashier (Former Employee)
Lake Zurich, IL (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for less than a year

ProsEmployer works with schedule which is a tremendous help. Flexible, fast paced, and there's always something different.

ConsSometimes the customers get a little to worked up over minor things. It's a dollar store, some people that come in act like they're royalty and you should kiss the ground they walk on. I've worked in many fields and the way some of these shoppers act is a disgrace to the human race.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to stop treating their employees (including the managers) like they are pawns. They are human, they want to see the company succeed as much as the "big guys" do. Treat them with respect.

Cashier

Dollar Tree Cashier (Current Employee)
Batesville, MS (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are great to work with, and the jobs are not too difficult.

ConsHours get cut frequently for not having sales up to par.

Great job for summer break

Cashier (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time for less than a year

ProsI got to work here during my summer vacations. I enjoyed it. the schedule was flexible and the manager was easy to deal with.

ConsThe clientele can be a bit grouchy at times. That comes with any retail job though.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should continue being strong leaders.

Worked for Dollar Tree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dollar Tree reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Dollar Tree CEO Bob Sasser. All 426 reviews are posted anonymously by Dollar Tree employees.