Dollar Tree Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
2.7

Dollar Tree President, CEO, and Director Bob Sasser
Bob Sasser

Pros
  • 5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job (in 13 reviews)

• As a part time employee there is a great deal of flexibility for scheduling (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The starting pay is minimum wage and you only get the barest on raises once a year (in 44 reviews)

• I feel as though the company or just the local upper management (unsure which it is really (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved working for Dollar Tree. My district Manager Deana was the best person to work for and with!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Jonesville, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Dollar Tree Store Manager in Jonesville, MI (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dollar Tree was amazing!! I started there as a shy timid 19 year old girl and left there a very outspoken and driven 25 year old women. I opened a store in Jonesville MI and it was the best experience of my life!! Hiring training and working side by side with my own team was amazing. I was very blessed to have selected such an amazing group of people. I learned so much with Dollar Tree from the business end of things and schematics all the way to really making your customers feel like they mattered. I will carry the things I learned within that company with me for the rest of my life. I learned how to be a bold, confident, outgoing, strong willed business woman there.

Cons

The only con is the jealousy factor that took place. Had a certain store manger not been upset that I was taking over her store after my temporary step down, I would have never left the company. I wanted to work my way as far up the chain as I could. She pretended to be fine with it and acted happy for me but was behind my back trying to get cashiers to lie about me so she could get me fired. All of our cashiers loved me so they would tell me everything. My DM was stuck between a rock and a hard place so I very sadly very graciously walked away before the name I had worked so hard to build was destroyed.

Keep your good employees and get rid of the bad. Don't be afraid of demoting someone just because you don't want to bruise there ego or hurt their feelings........after all not everyone is true tree material!!!

Okay experience working here, a lot of work.

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

Flexible schedule, pretty easy going.

Cons

A lot of work, and sometimes have to deal with rude customers.

Real Talk

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Citrus Heights, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Citrus Heights, CA (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to take days off. A good team of cashiers that are friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

You only get the bare minimum of hours work. The only way you can get hours is if they call you to cover a shift.

if there's 4 registers, there should be 4 cashiers at the same time, but they only work two cashiers.

okay

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chandler, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chandler, AZ (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

fast paced and great to get experience in working sales. can get hired pretty quickly depends on when you apply at the store.

Cons

under staffed at times and can get really hectic and the managers I had were not all that great at least at my dollar tree

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

It's an easy job and you can work yourself up pretty quick if you have a good work ethic.

Cons

MINIMUM WADGE. And managers in most of the stores always hate what there doing and bring people down and create a lazy staff who does not care. I have been in four different stores and on two states all the same ..

Learn to judge new employes better, work on getting better pay

My experience was positive

Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Brookings, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Dollar Tree Cashier in Brookings, SD (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the laid-back feel. The actual work itself was not challenging. I found managers very understandable and likable.

Cons

While I had no problem with management, I know that quite a few employees were prone to quitting. I dislike that the closing shift cashiers are required to drive all the way across town to the bank to deposit the money every night. I never had a weekend off.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Dollar Tree part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, Customers were excellent to help. Store Manager is there to help you develop your skills. Great first job for an assistant manager position. Bonuses for reaching sales and margin goals.

Cons

Biggest con is that the schedule is not consistent and may change during work week depending on truck loads. Hours are limited for scheduling, so this entails the managers do most of the stocking and upkeep of the store.

Crazy

I have been working at Dollar Tree

Pros

Like the people that I'm helping, Dislike of management .

Cons

No hours 10 or less different shifts all the time not friendly or family friendly

Remember what team work is.

Great coworkers but horrible Management !

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock Boy in Suisun City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Stock Boy in Suisun City, CA (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had great hours i chose to work early shifts 4am 5am and was able to spend the afternoons with my family. when working on the sales floor your meet alot of great people but like anywhere there are a few bad apples. Made some great friend ships with coworkers and management. And if need i would work at other stores within our area.

Cons

But due to the unorganized and horrible work ethics of the management in all the stores Ive worked at there was no way that i would recommend this job to anyone.

You need to evaluate your company's management and find who can do a simple job of managing their time right and find people that are upbeat about working their job not just willing to do it.

Not a company to work for

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Randolph, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Randolph, MA (US)

I worked at Dollar Tree part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The other employees were like family.
    5 hour shifts make it easy to work around for part time job

Cons

You spend more time moving things around than anything else.
    Corporate has little care for their employees
    Who wants to work 1 shift a week?
    5 hour overnight shifts for 9 bucks an hour are simply not worth the time/energy

Have common sense
    Instead of following every rule in the book, adapt to certain situations and work with them.

Dollar Tree Photos