Dominican University of California

Updated 8 February 2015
3.5

CEO

Recommendation Letter

Former Employee - Accounts Payables in San Rafael, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Accounts Payables in San Rafael, CA (US)

I worked at Dominican University of California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent co-workers, higher education experience. Friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Nothing, it's a wonderful University. I wish that I could have stayed but new management always seem to change policy & procedures.

Nothing I can think of. They all are professional co-workers.

Buyer Beware

I worked at Dominican University of California

Pros

Great benefits (health, dental, vision, classes)
    Open environment with a beautiful campus
    Student focused
    Welcoming environment
    Knowledgeable colleagues
    Flexible management

Cons

Back room decision making
    Poor communication among departments
    'Kick the can down the road' management in some instances
    Poor parking
    Dated buildings and working environments (think retro)
    Colleagues are sometimes overworked and unwilling to join take on new responsibilities voluntarily (happens, if rarely)

Tackle issues head on instead of waiting to see what will happen. Make decisions and stand by them. Be more open.

Good place to work and study

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Dominican University of California full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work, supportive co-workers, tuition benefits, exciting time of growth for the university. Senior management has strong vision for future. Faculty very supportive and dedicated to students.

Cons

Not much in the budget for support staff, so everyone must get used to multi-tasking.

Work Study Position

Current Employee - Student Assistant in San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there are many positions available for work study

Cons

Do not always fee appreciated for the work I do

Up and coming school that supports their teachers

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great small school with an enthusiastic, caring staff that lets you get creative in how to teach your students. Easy access to collaboration.

Cons

Being a smaller school, it does not have the resources of a school like Berkeley so sometimes you have to go outside the box to find resources

Keep on building a core staff and clarify the message.

Beautiful place to work

Current Employee - Staff in San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The campus, benefits and people are a huge draw. The workload is heavy, yet the pace feels slower than the corporate world. You have the opportunity to advance your education and that of your children. You can attend lectures and performances. It is an enriching, peaceful and beautiful campus. The HR staff have been very helpful on more than one occasion and they are the most professional and polite department on campus. Your job is what you make of it, show up on-time and give it your best every day.

Cons

It has been challenging to get time off. Departments are sleek and the loss of a member can be burdensome. The work-life balance needs help. Some offices are old and dated, no heat or air conditioning and working in a loud cramped office that gets hot or freezing can get irritating.

Shorten the hiring process. Treat all levels of staff with dignity and respect. Encourage time-off and lead by example.

Assistant

I have been working at Dominican University of California part-time

Pros

Great at allowing time off.

Cons

Don't want people to contradict senior management.

The faculty and staff are being destroyed by bully tactics, management by gossip, and dictatorship

I worked at Dominican University of California (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a beautiful small university. Things became bad towards the last several years of the previous president. We were all filled with hope and prepared for the hard work of strengthening our university under a new president and new leadership. Unfortunately, things have not gone well and many are losing hope.

Cons

The current leadership = robotic, vicious, yes (wo)men.

HR witch hunts are allowed and this has created an environment of fear. Expect retaliation for critical thought. Several departments have been divided and nearly destroyed by HR plotting people against each other. The power structure is becoming increasingly odd.

Stop chopping off the heads of people who know how to move us toward the future.

I encourage faculty, in particular, to communicate with Board members. The cabinet is behaving like a middle-school clique. I encourage staff to document all HR and managerial missteps and work together to remove the bullying, hostile mentality.

Small minded and political

I worked at Dominican University of California full-time

Pros

Good benefits package. Lovely campus.

Cons

In my experience working as staff member, the staff and administration is fraught with politics, favoritism, cliques, and bureaucracy. The quality, quantity and efficiency with which I was able to produce my work was completely overlooked so that my supervisor's OCD tendencies could be coddled by upper-level management and HR. It seemed to me that the institution would have preferred a poorly-skilled wage slave over a competent, talented worker who had lots to bring... I was subject to (what I feel) was borderline harassment by an utterly inflexible supervisor. My attempts to work with HR to resolve the problem were useless, and my experience was that, ultimately, HR is involved in the politics of the institution and not there to advocate for employees or resolve differences. I can't recommend working here, at least on the staff. Maybe the experience for faculty is different...

Trust your hiring decisions and back them. Recognize and advocate for talented and intelligent people on your staff, and realize that they are there to enhance and improve the quality of your own work and life, so make use of their talents and skills. Be FLEXIBLE, or risk losing good people.