Dominican University of California

3.2

CEO

Small minded and political

I worked at Dominican University of California full-time

Pros

Good benefits package. Lovely campus.

Cons

In my experience working as staff member, the staff and administration is fraught with politics, favoritism, cliques, and bureaucracy. The quality, quantity and efficiency with which I was able to produce my work was completely overlooked so that my supervisor's OCD tendencies could be coddled by upper-level management and HR. It seemed to me that the institution would have preferred a poorly-skilled wage slave over a competent, talented worker who had lots to bring... I was subject to (what I feel) was borderline harassment by an utterly inflexible supervisor. My attempts to work with HR to resolve the problem were useless, and my experience was that, ultimately, HR is involved in the politics of the institution and not there to advocate for employees or resolve differences. I can't recommend working here, at least on the staff. Maybe the experience for faculty is different...

Trust your hiring decisions and back them. Recognize and advocate for talented and intelligent people on your staff, and realize that they are there to enhance and improve the quality of your own work and life, so make use of their talents and skills. Be FLEXIBLE, or risk losing good people.

A small university with big potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California for more than a year

Pros

It's a creative, intellectually stimulating environment. The campus is situated in a picturesque park-like setting. The staff and faculty are friendly and help support each other. Nice perks include use of the athletic facilities, free access to performing arts, some public lectures and reduced tuition, or the option to audit classes.

Cons

Certain departments are understaffed and underfunded. Getting policies and procedures approved can be arduous. Pay rates (other than faculty) for this non-profit University is under industry standards.

There could be better communication around career development. For staff retention, the cost of higher compensation should be compared to the cost/time for hiring new staff and determining the overall negative impact on business.

Collegial environment, bringing organization in line with the modern world

I have been working at Dominican University of California

Pros

Colleagues in academic world are genuinely committed to students and strengthening of the University. Relatively strong new president with a challenging board of trustees. Some great staff members who tirelessly support the mission.

Cons

HR function worse than bad and totally bloated while the rest of the organization is tightening its belt. I don't know of anyone who feels they can trust HR or its "leaders", rely on HR to do its job or rely on expertise of HR. Hiring is a nightmare. Many strong candidates lost because of lack of professionalism and support in HR. Weak technology department. Dorms in disrepair which causes students to move off campus. Weak admissions department.

Focus on students.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Adjunct faculty

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  San Rafael, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in San Rafael, CA (US)

I worked at Dominican University of California as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

New science building has all the necessary services and tools to provide a great lecture. Great group of students in the MS in biology. Program has grown significantly in the last 4 years.

Cons

Almost no interaction with other adjunct or full-time faculty. Parking can be issue from 8 to 5 pm

None

Like Family

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California part-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely friendly, welcoming, supportive environment for new teachers

Cons

None, things have been really wonderful

Keep it up!

Wonderful Community, Faculty Grossly Underpaid

I have been working at Dominican University of California as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing community of students, faculty, and admin. Colleagues are like family. Beautiful campus conducive to study. One-on-one faculty and student rapport. Faculty have a real commitment to students. A peaceful place to work but . . .

Cons

. . . Faculty members are grossly underpaid, especially adjuncts, many of whom have hung in there for several years with "promises" of significant pay increases that have not come to pass. No benefits for adjuncts. Adjuncts make 2/3's or less of other Bay Area adjunct positions, not even counting the absence of benefits and recognition.

Get serious about wage increases for adjuncts - we've been more than patient for a very long time. It's becoming embarrassing, don't you think? Dominican is a private, high tuition institution that should make a better effort of practicing what it preaches, beginning with fair pay for its dedicated faculty committed to the students and to the Dominican values.

Its a bureaucratic place, but the professors and most staff love what they do.

Former Employee - Financial Tutor  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Tutor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Dominican University of California

Pros

Its a beautiful campus and they are making tons of great changes in the admin department. They have an awesome new president who is really making waves, in a good way. The old president needed to go and was super old school and not popular.

Cons

It is an academic environment, which isn't inherently bad, just means there is a lot of bureaucracy, a lot! So be prepared for slowing moving processes that need to be approved by 10 different people.

Keep shaking up the over-sized administration department and put more emphasis on the students experience so they leave with a great feeling about their alma mater.

My department offers a nice transition into the Career field for new professionals.

Current Employee - Career Counselor  in  San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Career Counselor in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California

Pros

Small, community-oriented environment
    Open communication and dissemination of information
    Much of the staff and faculty are continual learners

Cons

Some processes are behind the times--need upgrades as far as streamlining processes like methods of communication

It has been a learning experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Dominican University of California

Pros

Great colleagues (for the most part)
    Great pleace to grow because of the small school environment = a lot of opportunity to be creative.

Cons

Administrators compensation is beyond excessive!
    Growth in student population doesn't mean growth in staff to support students.

Recognize what and where we are as an institution of higher education. We are not Berkeley, Stanford, or USF. Work with what we've got!

Worked for Dominican University of California? Contribute to the Community!