Dress Barn Reviews

Updated 22 August 2014

3.5

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe
David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• 40% discount on regular price merchandise (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees (in 9 reviews)

• Pushed too hard to make sales goals without the incentive of commission (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Store LEADER!

Current Employee - Store Leader  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company culture is amazing! EVERYONE has a voice. Great atmosphere across the board. Best job I have ever had in retail. The low turnover is because it's such an amazing company NO ONE leaves.

Cons

Not as savvy with technology. Lots of struggle with hiring/training programs being current and updated. If you are embracing the brand rebrand all material at once to be consistent,good bye pink!

Research and test some more efficient tools to support your stores. Kenexa is pure evil! Update training materials before the store opening season begins.

Not a company that follows through on intent

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Clothing discount. Right intent but lack of follow-through.

Cons

Very reactionary culture. Not strategic or long-term thinking and not able to differentiate versus competitors. Hires people with experience and then stifles them by not giving them room to run. Long term employees not highly valued and can be easily replaced depending on senior executive changes and them wanting to bring in their own people, regardless of the merits of the long-term employee.

Lead by example. Show employees you really care about their well-being instead of this being empty words.

Best Employment Experience of My Career

Current Employee - Director Level, Home Office  in  Mahwah, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Director Level, Home Office in Mahwah, NJ (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wow, where to begin...

I guess the most unique aspect of our organization is the 'human-ness'. From our founders, Mr. and Mrs. J, to our entire Executive Team, to our entry-level associates, there is a level of humility that is innate to who we are as a company. It is this humbleness that helps shape our culture. From work-life balance (when we ask associates to travel to a company meeting, we ensure that we allow for travel to take place on a week-day, and not infringe on their weekend/family time), to growth and development (we have an incredible curriculum of classes and tools that help our associates be better at what they do -- and, we ENCOURAGE people to take the time to focus on their development!), to our overall focus on 'total wellness' (we have a beautiful fitness center in our Home Office that is free for our HO associates to use, and we ENCOURAGE IT - even during 'work hours'!)

Even if there are 'tough' business decisions to be made, we do so through a filter of "What is the RIGHT THING TO DO?" Truly, I have never seen anything like it. I feel like I have hit the career lottery! Of course, I love my role and the people I work with. I also believe in all our strategies to grow the brand and the company. We have amazing leadership who respect each other and seem to have genuine 'affection' for each other. To get to see and work under the direction of an executive team like this once in a lifetime is a rare privilege.

Cons

There is much work to be done! So it can be an intense pace (fortunately, we can blow off steam or work out some stress at our Smartlife Fitness Center any time).

Keep up the good work. I hope that our stores can feel what we feel here in our home office. And if we can accomplish that, our cutomers will surely feel it!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Leader set the tone

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for less than a year

Pros

The discounts are awesome. I enjoyed my co-workers. They were friendly and hard working. They offer great medical benefits and other benefits along with vacation

Cons

The Store Leader ran a punitive, police state where we were encouraged to look for infractions committed by others, correct them and then report them verbally and then by documentation. It did not matter if they were tying a garbage bag wrong it was documented. Everyone walked on egg shells. Everyone was "equal" which resulted in everyone thinking they were in charge. We were instructed to interrogate customers with returns and to "stand your ground" rather than "surprise and delight".
    I was told my attire wasn't appropriate (all dressbarn clothes), my makeup needed to be reapplied several times per day, and that I needed to dye my hair. I do not need to be told in an insulting way that suddenly I don't know how to groom myself. We sweat our butts off climbing ladders, cleaning toilets, hauling garbage, mopping floors, unpacking stock, cleaning vents, changing light bulbs, rearranging tables, displays, signs, floor sets and then be expected to look like we walked off the cover of Vogue Magazine while providing superior customer service.
    Half of the time schedules were not distributed in a timely fashion which allowed no balance of work/family as planning time off was nearly impossible, especially for part timers. Money was the bottom line at this store and lean scheduling made breaks almost non existent.
    Rules changed constantly and what was right yesterday was no longer correct today. We were overworked and brow beaten. We were questioned about everything. "Why is our employee discount pecent average for this store so low?" We are offered a discount and then are questioned like criminals when we use it? The store leader threw clothes at us, threatened us, made us cry. The store key felt like a noose around my neck everyday. Complaints were made by myself and others. One person was fired. No one dared complain anymore. Things would get better for a time and then fall right back. All the anonymous employee surveys, all the coaching and feedback was a big joke. No one gave an honest critique because they were afraid. There is no anonymity when you have to sign in with your employee number. As long as the bottom line was black it seemed nobody cared. The day I placed my keys in the drawer after my shift and walked out, was the biggest relief of my life.

Take off your rose colored glasses

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Canton, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, MI (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dress barn is a wonderful place to work. you become a family with the associates you work with. The company is very understanding of time off, and is family and school oriented.

Cons

The pay is not that great.

Stop relocating your managers whenever you feel like it.

"Good place to work while you are in college"

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Riverside, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverside, CA (US)

I worked at Dress Barn part-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers tend to be very friendly. You can assist customers, build great relationships and it is very stress free. They also play great music.

Cons

Managers were very incompetent. They would play favorites and everything was based on how you look rather than how hard you worked. Managers were super lazy and expected sales associates to do all of the work for $8.00 an hour. Most of the managers held alot of animosity towards you if you were doing great things with your life, because they would realize that they were stuck working at Dress barn for the rest of their life. Some customers were really mean when you would try to help them and you always felt as though you were a slave to customers and the managers. Some of the managers were racist, but never said anything to your face. They would hire petite girls who could not get the work done and allow them to stand around and do nothing, while the girls who are built for physical labor were worked extremely hard for the same pay.

Do not take your anger out on the employees just because you are stuck at a dead-end job. Stop being lazy and get your ass on the floor and work instead of expecting Sales Associates to do all the work so that you can get a bonus at the end of the year. Stop playing favorites, and if you really hate working their go to college, get a degree and get a better job that you will enjoy. Or, shut up and accept your circumstances.

manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  New Hyde Park, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New Hyde Park, NY (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a great company with great customers and a clothing discount.

Cons

Some nasty gals who live to gossip should be cut.

Do not allow or tolerate the gossip.

Good Company

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Wheaton, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Wheaton, IL (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than a year

Pros

They care, and are always trying to make things better for employees

Cons

Inconsistent from store to store

Keep being Caring it does get noticed. Glad you have made the changes you are making in the stores.

Dress Barn allowed me the opportunity to grow my management skills and work with a great group of people.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Bridgewater, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bridgewater, NJ (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong company with growth opportunity. Fair and kind corporate culture.

Cons

Working nights and weekends is difficult for family life

With the new line of Roz & Ally came slighlty higher prices. However, the quality of the clothing was not there.

Horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dress Barn part-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no "pros" working at that store.

Cons

Low paying retail job, managers playing favorites as usual. They need to stop pushing there employees to "sell" and lie to customers, Dress barn doesn't work on commission, so they need to relax or take a Xanax to calm down.

Managers need to stop the "favoritism" that goes on at Dressbarn.

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!