Dress Barn Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.5

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe
David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• 40% discount on regular price merchandise (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees (in 9 reviews)

• Pushed too hard to make sales goals without the incentive of commission (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent Part time Job

Current Employee - Part Time Senior Sales Associate  in  Rockwall, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Senior Sales Associate in Rockwall, TX (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours and a good learning environment if you wish to work in customer service

Cons

pay is not great and the pressure to have customers open credit cards is a little too much sometimes

Fun but frustrating place to work

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The employee discount is very generous, at 40%. It is generally a fun place to work, that is fairly flexible with the scheduling. The work life balance is pretty good since they will do their best to give you the days off that you request. You get to know many of the regular customers, developing relationships with them.

Cons

Different stores have different policies regarding coupons, special orders, VIP parties, outreach, and a multitude of other things. Individual stores are now "empowered" to make some of their own decisions, which has created animosity between stores. One store will say yes, the other no. Everyone is confused.

There are never enough hours in payroll to have enough people scheduled. Most of the time there are only 2 people working. It is impossible to watch the entire store with only 2 people, which can be a loss prevention issue.

The new policy is that everything is rung under one of the managers that is on duty, supposedly to make sure that they are coaching employees to do their best. With a couple of the managers, the part time people do much of the work and they get the credit.

Please consider allowing all stores to ring everything under one number all the time. If we are supposed to be one big team, it should be one number. The CEL idea seems unnecessary. With only 2 people scheduled during most shifts, the whole idea of the CEL coaching to make sure that the others (read part time people) do their jobs is impossible.

Honest and True Family

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Like any retail job, it depends on your manager. If your manager is a competent worker and same her bosses, then life at DressBarn is pretty great. It's a company that recognizes hard work and is quick to promote from within.

Cons

Dealing with the public honestly is the worst part. And if you have a bad manager, then things will be harder for all workers involved.

DM's need to stay in more constant contact with store managers. An example is if several employee's have a complaint very similar about a SM, then you should investigate and NOT say who you heard these things from. It's puts everyone in a bad position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice company Limited opportunities to advance

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate  in  Nashua, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Nashua, NH (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice work environment and always current with the inventory

Cons

Very few full time positions per location thus a limited/restricted opportunities for advancement

Allow experienced employees to work towards a full-time Senior Associate position, thus making them eligible for benefits such as medical, paid sick leave etc.

Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Conyers, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Conyers, GA (US)

I worked at Dress Barn part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good company to work for.

Cons

Pay really could be better

Fun job and loved my staff.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, fun atmosphere and they really try to make employees feel appreciated.

Cons

when you worked an 8 hour day plus you only got a half hour lunch break and they have really low staffing so its hard to accomplish what you need to do each day.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relationships, contact with new people, developing, opportunities for grow up.

Cons

learning new methods, new programs...

n/a

Amazing culture!

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time

Pros

Dressbarn is a hidden gem. I knew it was a good company before I started working here but I had no idea HOW good! The company is very focused on doing right by its employees and wellness is very important here. Having the founders still so involved makes it feel like a small family business rather than a billion dollar corporation. We're very strong financially, rare in retail these days. And the new HQ building is beautiful!

Cons

Occasionally, not everyone is on the same page, but this is usually remedied fairly quickly. Budgets are tight, but that's happening everywhere and we wouldn't be so financially solid without that control.

Keep the culture growing!

Husband's job forced me to leave dressbarn and wow do I miss it!

Former Employee - Training Store Leader  in  Georgetown, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Training Store Leader in Georgetown, TX (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Head of Stores Gil will tell you store leaders are them most important people in the company and he means it and it shows! You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance. Comparable pay with new bonus program based on store profitability should be great. Discount is great! Opportunity through company webinars for self improvement and professional growth. District and Regional leaders truly care about their teams.

Cons

Great merchandise sells quickly and replen is slow but getting better. Shoe buyers need to keep shoes coming into stores quicker. Warm weather stores need sandals! Online returns should not come off of store sales.

Keep up the great work. I saw so many improvements in the last couple years.

Go work at Walmart

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paid training
    Discounts at Dressbarn, Maurice's, Justice/Brothers, Lane Bryant, Catherine's

Cons

Not enough payroll to support having any full time except management
    Assistants and associates are never given any recognition
    Store managers expect to do nothing but gossip between stores
    Micro managing district managers
    Work/life balance does not exist
    No opportunity to move ahead

Reward all positions for the work they do. Bonuses are impossible to achieve

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!