Dress Barn

www.dressbarn.com
Employer Engaged

Good work/home life balance

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Laurel, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Laurel, MD (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Was welcomed as family as soon as I began working for DB. I have a 9month old baby and management has always been very accommodating with time off and scheduling. Training was not very strenuous and in no time I felt like I had all the knowledge and tools to help our women clientele look and feel beautiful. The highlight of my work days is creating floor displays, I am allowed to express my creativity while still adhering to company's standards.

Cons

Pay sucks at 8.50/hour and there is little to no room for advancement. Stores are allowed to have 1 manager and 3 assistant managers, if positions are filled you pretty much are stuck as an associate until someone quits or relocates. Some management has been there 15years

Best company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Leader in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Store Leader in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They care about their customers and their employees. Benefits are great, work-life balance is great.

Cons

right now I don't see any cons.

Awesome place of employment

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great benefits for full time employees. Everyday you help someone feel good about themselves and you get to dress's them up in what fits there body style! Its eye opening and a lot of fun!

Cons

Working Sundays and no benefits for part time rmployess.

Keep up the good work.

This is a heart job with benefits

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Dress Barn part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, Family atmosphere, support from staff and management, helping others feel and look their best.

Cons

lack of financial support toward educational growth for employees and some difficulties with receiving work schedule within a reasonable time frame.

Need more support with educational growth for employees.

Fun & Easy

I worked at Dress Barn

Pros

Great people and good atmosphere

Cons

Low pay and sometimes crabby customers

Nothing

Fun and busy

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brighton, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brighton, MI (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love most of our customers and doing visual

Cons

steaming with a hand held steamer is slow.

The pay really should be more money.

Designers Beware

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Beautiful, new headquarters in Mahwah, NJ, with cafeteria and fitness center on campus.
    -Company as a whole has an initiative in place to create a brand and in house design department
    -Excellent benefits, 401k, and you can accrue choice time off
    -Store Discount for all Ascena brands
    -Company is undergoing a lot of exciting transitions that will help it stay relevant in the years to come.
    -Designers on Apple computers
    -People are generally really pleasant/polite to work with
    -New CM is doing a great job challenging all the old blood and questioning everything.
    -In a few years, this could be an amazing place to work for designers
    -Generally, a great place to work now, especially if you are a merchant/buyer

Cons

-While I worked there five people resigned their posts due to the problems with my team.
    -The whole design department is in NYC, while the rest of the company is in Mahwah. This exacerbates the already strained relationship between the designers and merchants. Designers are expected to travel regularly to Mahwah as merchants don't to make time to stop by on their market days for meetings [ there is no shuttle from the office to HQ, you have to get there yourself if you can't make the 7 am shuttle from the east side].
    -I was not trusted to do the job I was hired for and since merchants were not under any duress to work with design, my work was often was not used at all. I thought was hired to design, but spent much of my time working on trend.
    - I felt Merchants were out to prove they didn't need design or PD because they have basically been doing those functions in one capacity or another for years. Merchants have been the stars of the company for so long, they had a lot of difficulty focusing on their function of buying and often had lost sight of what that really is.
    -Because the design office is not in Mahwah, the designers in NYC don't get the same treatment as the employees as the rest of the company. For example, they don't have access to a relevant gym and are often not considered in scheduling when company has functions like a health fair or town hall meeting. The designers are isolated and there is no initiative from the top to make the designers feel more part of the company.
      -The design department leadership struggled to make timely decisions or do any real work.
    -The design leadership was out of touch with their team, unprofessional, and disorganized.
    -The design offices are an open layout, so there is no privacy or noise control. It is very hard to focus and not observe your superiors behavior.
    -Design management was not computer literate. This was a constant source of frustration and made it difficult to respect the management because they were getting paid more than their subordinates, but couldn't do any work without them. One manager would leave early on days their assistant was off because they could not do any work requiring a computer without them.
    -Subordinates were expected to stay late daily, work weekends, and use their personal smart phones for work [texts are received at all hours and days]. It is not hyperbole to say the my peers were often brought to tears due to the way they were treated by their bosses. I was often discredited in front of my peers and made to feel stupid. Subordinates were constantly treated as personal assistants and constantly had their time wasted by management. Once, after a late night, a manager was car pooling home in a company car with a subordinate and made them get home two hours late because they wanted to be taken to their apt., which was not a scheduled stop. I don't recommend joining this company, as a designer, until the upper management is culled.
    -I would not recommend that Designer's join this company if they think they will be getting a good work/life balance.
    I observed that managers were work-o-holics; they found reasons to stay late or take on more work. Upper management actively seeks to hire people who will perpetuate that culture instead of setting a new standard of work/life balance for the team. No accountability for managers to get their work done during company hours; they don't plan to finish by end of day, they just assume people can go on working all night if necessary.
    -There is no accountability to HR for timely performance reviews or sticking to company rules. I didn't know one person who had their mid year review in my department, during my time there.
    - Managers go out to personal eye lash/hair appointments, but subordinates were admonished for taking a long lunch [in the office!].
    -No one I knew got a raise in design, while upper management spent thousands of dollars on presentation shopping and merchants got bonuses. I often had to waste company money/time dealing with presentation samples, and felt bad for betraying the trust DB was placing in my department leaders. There is no system to track samples or store credits, and 'no systems' is a major theme during my time at DB.

Reevaluate the management in the design department; admit you got it wrong this time around and remove those people promptly. They are giving designers a bad reputation among people who have never been exposed to design before and driving away the talent you had. Move the design department back to Mahwah or plan to get a bigger NYC office to house product development and design [who should be together]. Issue mandates to merchants which push them to work closely with design and buy the in house products! Send the message that people need to adapt to the new company vision or move on. Cut back on merchant teams to bolster design, technical design, and PD ranks, they are the future of your business. I know at some point DB will be a great place for designers to work, but they have a long way to go.

Heavy Load of Task Work, Very Little Selling

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time (less than a year)

Pros

management understands when you need certain days off, great co-workers, fun clothes, great discounts and loved that the company trusts associates to make their own decisions as far as 'breaking certain rules' to help impress customers. Family-like environment, awesome clothes.

Cons

management thoroughly enjoys not being on the same page and so work gets confusing, you bust your butt off working way above and beyond other associates and still have to work this hard for just above minimum wage regardless of your proved skills, education, experience, etc... I've been here for over 5 months with impressive and proven abilities and the company sees no interest in promoting a fashion marketing major to a manager, even though they need one, no matter how hard I work. Very short hours so if you get a 20 hour week you're working 5 days a week and most times they're so busy you don't even get a break. If you love to sell and put outfits together, go somewhere else. This is all folding, steaming, cleaning, freight, putting an ungodly amounts of clothes back on the floor. Don't ever expect to leave your shift on time. The demands that need to be met for the pay is ridiculous.

if someone has 3 years of experience in high-end retail with proven stats and has a solid education in this department, pay them more than $8.00/hr. Don't be afraid to give real raises to those associates who go above and beyond because what starts off as a fun and promising job leaves us discouraged and feeling used. Don't take advantage of associates that really care about their work because that's what keeps your store open. Make sure your lower management is on the same page and doesn't show favorites and divides work load equally and don't hire slackers.

Ineptitude

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time

Pros

Great benefits, company tries to make things fun for employees, new home office is really nice

Cons

Didn't end up doing anything I was hired to do. No good direction from management, the entire department was a hot runny mess. Was constantly doing menial tasks and getting blamed for management's severe and pathological lack of finesse or foresight. Constantly changing expectations, no consistency in decisions, a company trying to create change from within without the willpower to follow through and hold long-tenured employees to new standards for fear of upsetting them. So much wasted productivity, some of the people in my department would leave at three every day or come in at eleven or go get their hair or eyelashes done on a whim during the workday. It's easy to get resentful when your superiors are pulling that crap and you get held responsible for inane things that go wrong. I felt like a child getting lectured on how naughty she is by her boozing and inattentive parents.
    Not a good workplace for the more sensitive and nuanced employee, as everyone shouts over others during meetings and basic listening skills are dismal. I knew someone who worked there and got moved to a different department, some of the people were so woefully unobservant/self-involved they thought she was a new employee even though she had been with the company for over six months. Suffice it to say, I was more than happy to be moving on.

If you really want to change the direction of the company, you're going to have to jettison some of the dead weight, or at least find a better way to hold people who are resistant to change accountable for their lack of cooperation and solidarity with the new vision. Yes, even if that means angering the old guard.
    And pat marketing on the back, they're actually doing some good work in spite of it all.

Unprofessional Old Lady's Club

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Waldorf, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Waldorf, MD (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Customers, some of the PT Team members were actually really there to bring joy to someone else closet!

Cons

Management Sucks, the Pay Sucks, if you are not part of the management clique you will not move up or be treated fairly.

Store Managers need leadership training. We don't need people running around thinking they are the boss.. We need leaders ready to lead, train and develop top notch employees who deliver exceptional customer service, not chatterboxes that sit in a corner yelling out orders.