Dress Barn

Dress Barn Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe

David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• 40% discount on regular price merchandise (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees (in 9 reviews)

• Pushed too hard to make sales goals without the incentive of commission (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Wheaton, IL (US)

ProsThey care, and are always trying to make things better for employees

ConsInconsistent from store to store

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being Caring it does get noticed. Glad you have made the changes you are making in the stores.

Dress Barn allowed me the opportunity to grow my management skills and work with a great group of people.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Bridgewater, NJ (US)

ProsStrong company with growth opportunity. Fair and kind corporate culture.

ConsWorking nights and weekends is difficult for family life

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the new line of Roz & Ally came slighlty higher prices. However, the quality of the clothing was not there.

Horrible place to work.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThere are no "pros" working at that store.

ConsLow paying retail job, managers playing favorites as usual. They need to stop pushing there employees to "sell" and lie to customers, Dress barn doesn't work on commission, so they need to relax or take a Xanax to calm down.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to stop the "favoritism" that goes on at Dressbarn.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Dressbarn was painfully disappointing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Suffern, NY (US)

ProsHeath benefits are good and 401K is matched.

ConsToo many changes going on at one time created a cut-throat environment amongst employees. Everyone was stressed due to an overload of work without financial compensation. One error can cost you your job, which caused the employees to walk on egg shells. Because the pay scale is on the low end, many employees needed to have a second, part time job to supplement their income just to get by.

Advice to Senior ManagementDressbarn used to pride themselves on creating and nurturing a "family environment" within the company and sadly that had dissipated. Training should also be a necessity when a new employee starts. And ALL supervisors should be expected to take leadership courses as there are too many people is this position within your company who are not qualified to have that title. A boss should not be allowed to be a bully and then be protected by the company when an employee brings it to your attention.

A company that wants to show they care, but is held back by a corporate structure.

ProsThe small staffs at the individual stores mean your voice is more likely to be heard by management. The hours can be flexible and you can form relationships more easily with coworkers.

ConsManagement is not always competent enough to foster mutually beneficial relationships with each team member and a corporate focus on cost-cutting means lower quality products for the customers.

No opportunities for advancement

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros40% discount on regular price merchandise! free layaway for employees

ConsNo opportunity for advancement, very little coverage only 2 people working at a time, unrealistic sales goals set by the company, massive payroll and budget cuts, micromanagement by district manager, stores running over a year without a store manager to save payroll, corporate realigning the districts and eliminating positions to give less people more work, many field positions being eliminated while new people were constantly hired in the corporate office, corporate wanting stores to extend hours during the holiday season without an increase in payroll hours, price conscious clientele who want everything on sale plus a coupon discount

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within instead of hiring outsiders always.

Great for at least 10 years!! I love retail and had been in retail management for at 25 years before going to DB.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe customers were wonderful . It was so refreshing to have your established customers come in each week. It was even more refreshing to receive their compliments after your service.
    The benefits were about what was expected in any Retail business. Vacations, sick days, choices days were average. My advise to anyone who works at DB or plan to do so, DO NOT BANK YOUR SICK DAYS .IF and when you decide to leave, all will be lost, you will receive 0
    for all the days you could have taken when you were sick or just needed a break from all the
    crap that is dished out every day.

ConsBeware of your co-workers, To take a step ahead of you, they can and will do anything, even down to lying. Remember the DSM and RSM are not your friends. They have another associate that will carry any thing that is untrue to the DSM . I was told after 13 years that my personality was to strong only because I would not stand in a corner and bad-mouth to the DSM about other people.I love to work and I gave 125 percent to the company, when they wanted me and the SM gone , the company took the lies and ran with it. As you may assume , we were older women. I let you bet the judge. I gave my letter of resignation because I would not let any one fire me without a chance to speak for myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementA letter was mailed to HR and I spoke to them personally. It really did't matter. Our wages had exceeded what they thought we were worth. Younger and inexperienced would take less pay and our positions. My advise to upper management is to take a good hard look when a decision is made like this. Many of the more mature people think and work a lot harder. We also give a lot of ourselves to a company. Do I regret this? No, I know my true self. I do hope the people who did me wrong and gave untrue facts will someday have the same happy to them.

Company Condones Workplace Bullying and or Harassment

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Long Island City, NY (US)

ProsReceiving a paycheck and health/dental benefits. Store work hours

ConsDressbarn seems to discriminate younger women while the company has condoned bullying and harassment particularly within the long island NY district.. The stores are filled with 60 plus year old women that don't want to work, constantly complain and or use their employment as a social function to gossip and cause aggrevation to young talent they are intimidated by. Corporate needs to educate these older women that now there are NYS laws against workplace harassment and character defamation. As one can read, online feedback by many employees have shared very similar experiences. With no policy change there needs to be a class action lawsuit to get Dressbarn's to address and improve their work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should hire more intelligent store managers. Too many seem unqualified and ignorant and easily manipulated. Don't participate in baby gossip. Hire younger talent. My experience with the 65 year old women spent more time complaining than working. Way too much work for them to handle. They expect the younger employees to do their job and when you don't do their job as well they spend all their time getting paid trying to sabotage your job.

Great place to grow

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Rochester, MN (US)

Prosgreat discount awesome place to grow so many resources on hand

Consif you want upper management it's harder to get into

Ok for a rebound job or something while going to school.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, not too stressful depending on your management, easy to get hired.

ConsEntry level sales job with not a lot of opportunity for growth unless you want to pitch sales for the rest of your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more collaborative and flexible.

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!