Dress Barn

Updated 27 January 2015
3.5

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe
David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• The employee discount is also generous (40%) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees (in 10 reviews)

• I was a part time employee it was my first job so i didnt have high expectations i just needed some cash (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Unprofessional Old Lady's Club

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Waldorf, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Waldorf, MD (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Customers, some of the PT Team members were actually really there to bring joy to someone else closet!

Cons

Management Sucks, the Pay Sucks, if you are not part of the management clique you will not move up or be treated fairly.

Store Managers need leadership training. We don't need people running around thinking they are the boss.. We need leaders ready to lead, train and develop top notch employees who deliver exceptional customer service, not chatterboxes that sit in a corner yelling out orders.

Great company, but few bonuses.

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Amherst, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Amherst, NY (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good coworkers, family - like atmosphere.
    Managers genuinely care about the associates.
    There's always something to do. Little downtime (a good thing).

Cons

Little pay. I've been with the company over 6 years and still only make 15 cents over minimum wage. Not much pay for all that we do.

Talk laterally to your coworkers. Respect earns respect.

Great company with lots of (full time) associate benefits.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very welcoming culture for the most part. Great employee discount at Dressbarn, Maurice's, Lane Bryant, and Catherine's.

Cons

Difficult district leader. Often unavailable so you have to reach out to people over them, then they get mad at you for reaching out.

More scrutiny on actions and decisions of District Leaders- they favor some store leaders over others in an unfair way.

Working there is good, but pay is terrible

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time

Pros

People are nice and great to work with,
    In-company promotions

Cons

Salary's are not fit for cost of living

I have been in the retail industry for 20+ years now and I have never work for a company like Dress Barn.

Current Employee - Store Leader in Elmira, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Elmira, NY (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Definitely for the associates! Believes in work life balance! I have nothing but positive things about this company. I have a great district leader who helps me though this journey and she doesn't judge.

Cons

I really don't have any cons about this company. Except that I wish we were located in a different area so we could get more foot traffic.

Great company with the typical flaws

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Full time employees have a great benefit program. Support from the home office is exceptional. Promotions are not easy, due to availability. Company strives on encouraging work life balance. Great discount on purchases. We spend time with the customer offering ideas and fashion advice. It can be a most satisfying experience when she leaves bouncing out the door with a big smile

Cons

Would like to see a better rate of pay. Never enough hours to schedule properly. High demands on executing floor moves and changes. Do see some preferential treatment of employees occasionally
    Overall a great work environment

Often there are not enough hours in a day to get all the tasking done with 2 part coverage.

Happily Employed Assistant

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Memphis, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very friendly environment to work in. I have the empowerment to make decisions and make my customers happy. Management is always available to talk to and listen to you. Store leaders and District leaders are available. Goals are made know and are reasonable with tools to work with. Schedule is easy to work with and time off is given as needed.

Cons

More time is needed for training. Sometimes feel this is done "on the fly" which leads me to feeling not fully trained.

Take time to train properly. When new programs come out, make time to make sure all is aware and knows how to implement the program.

Great work, good people, decent company

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dressbarn has a warm and friendly environment. The associates are not on individual sales goals, so there isn't the stress of commission or competition.

Cons

Sometimes, actually most the time, the company stands up for the customer not you in situations. They will appease the customer with coupons even if the issue was because of a policy problem.

Back up your employees.

The worst experience of my life.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bethlehem, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bethlehem, PA (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Has clothing for all women of all shapes and sizes!

Cons

District Manager aligned herself with Assistant managers instead of creating strong bond with the store mgr. I was spoken to in a very degrading manner. District Manager would not communicate with me regularly. I was unfairly written up and her facts were incorrect. Human Resources did nothing.

Development of Store managers. That is your job! Less criticism. Stop the backstabbing!

Not very professional management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Port, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Port, FL (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount, and having to leave three words, nothing else. Maybe it will get better....who knows...nice customers and for the most part, nice coworkers. There is always that one.....management won't deal with.

Cons

Management, Janitor work. Cleaning everything from windows, mirrors, floors and toilets. Not a lot of training. Customers are nice. You move around the store because corporate asked....only to get management to come in and rearrange it. Makes you feel your work is for nothing. Sometimes your not even selling because your to busy cleaning. Some Coworkers steal your sales or never help with the back breaking work. And lunch breaks are 10 minutes in the back room, because never a third person to help cover. So, two people to run register, watch door, hang stock, watch dressing room, wait on customers and clean......

Listen to employees, Think about a real lunch break, don't ask us to move something when it's never up to your standards. More team work, that goes for everyone! Not just a chosen few. Maybe alternate weekends so we can spend a whole weekend with family. We don't make much money, and little hours for ones who want them. Everyone is part time except management. Maybe give us something for our work. Sure a discount, but really, we only wear them at work.