DynCorp International

DynCorp International Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

DynCorp International Chairman & CEO Steven F. Gaffney

Steven F. Gaffney

Pros:
  • "Good pay and union support, the people I worked with were top notch people"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Decent salaries and the working class employees are mostly good people who want to do good work"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Promoting employees to management with no management experience, overall arrogance of upper management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "being away from home living conditions can be harsh"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company.

Property Specialist (Current Employee)
Kuwait City (Kuwait)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay and you are close to the eastern countries for traveling.

ConsAway from society and family.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is good

Unorganized and general lack of care

Electrician (Current Employee)
Farāh (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsThe work on a Logcap project in generally easy work. Very focused on required training dates

ConsCompany was very unorganized in most everything it has done thus far. There is a general lack of care for the employees. It is easy to see that everything they do is solely done to keep the contract and keep DOD off their backs

Ok if you're new to the game, but get out as soon as you can

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best thing about working for DynCorp is that I got the opportunity to travel and see the world. If you are new to contracting, this is a good way to get your foot in the door because they will hire any one. But while overseas, I had the opportunity to network and meet contractors from other companies.

ConsBy far the worst company I have ever worked for,. They truly don't care about their employees and there is no work ethic. Its all about making that money. There was absolutely no consistency or standards. It seemed like every day there was a new change to the SOP or WI. And no standardized training! The bosses would put together a crappy PowerPoint in like 20 minutes and make us read it and sign something acknowledging we've been trained just to cover their behinds. The answer to everything was to wait until a problem got out of control instead of trying to prevent it ahead of time, and then try to cover it up with a ban-aid. I could go on talking about the lack of qualified management. This was the WRM contract, so I can't speak for the rest of the company.

DynCorp = bully

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay and benefits. Met some great friends.

ConsEmployees with children and families are favored over single, childless employees as if single people have no life. Being single does not mean I want to stay late so a parent can go home on time to pick up and take care of a child. Never could make plans afterwork, no advanced notice of overtime hours. Normal hours were 8-5 but sometimes you were excepted to work odd shift hours such as midnight to 9am, 5am-5pm, etc.

Expected to not take your lunch hour.

Deadlines are unreasonable and last minute. Management not willing to stand up and demand deadlines that aren't so tight and last minute.

Gave awards for outstanding performances that came with a cash award. Unfortunately, one person won the award for "placing a decal on a plane." Often awarded those that were simply doing their job. Overlooked those that went over and above and did many jobs.

Military employees looked down on and treated non-military employees horribly.

Lots of sexism in the workplace.

Had to constantly take ethics training, including how retaliation was not allowed. It happened all of the time.

Bullying was a large part of how they got things done.

Never looked forward to going to work.

Must account for how you spent your time at work and on what project. You'd be screwed if you were actually efficient and got done early.

After expecting you to stay crazy hours they couldn't even provide decent coffee. At one time they offered individual coffee creamers in many flavors, provided plates and plastic cutlery. After one of the many CEO changes the plates, cutlery, creamers were gone. Creamer was replaced with generic powdered crap. Generic sweeteners. No more tea, hot cocoa, etc.

A wide range of Supply related duties.

Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee)
Doha (Qatar)

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsCompetitive pay and benefits. Opportunities for various positions in different locations.

ConsManagement is distant and does not have a clear view of the real life work issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds two way equal communication and to repair the serious lack of resources.

Good first job where I gain lots of education and experience

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat Mentors
Opportunities to grow and advance in your career.
Educational/tuition reimbursement opportunities.
Set policies and procedures set in place for almost anything (I didn't realize how valuable this was until I worked for a company with no policies/procedures).
Great Benefits

ConsWork/life balance - at times I was working 70-80 hours per week, on-call and expected to be available 24/7.
Some favoritism
Some people in management positions did not deserve them or do a good job in them, making it more difficult for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall I feel like this is a good company to work for, but a lot of that has to do with the department and people that you work with/for. I believe that it opened many doors for me and taught me so much.

I joined this company in Dec 2011 as Truck Driver and then promoted to Fuels Truck driver.

Truck Driver (Current Employee)
Shīndand (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsI have learnt alot and more new things that has boosted much in my exprience and in my career objective..

ConsChallenges are in plenty but i have tried to cope with the situation.It has been hot and cold,out family sight but all has been well to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am entitled to work at any enviroment and at very low minimum supervisor.

Ideal employer for those willing to work hard, apply themselves, and who are dedicated to learning more about business

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong company values for which people are held accountable; companywide sense of pride in the mission - people care about the work they are doing; opportunities to learn more to advance your career are limitless

ConsMarket dynamics make this a challenging time for anyone who contracts with the U.S. government; not a place for those just looking to "show-up" each day who are not invested in the work they do

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on core values across company; continue to hold people accountable for delivering results and living the company values

Great Company to get started when leaving the Armed Forces

Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee)
Patuxent River, MD (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHours of operations, Great people to work with, "By the book" maintenance.

ConsShift rotations, Ugly uniforms, Poor advancement opprotunities

Data entry

I worked at DynCorp International

ProsThe work environment is excellent. challenging at time but overall good.

ConsThe shifts can be pretty difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementI recommend that the Data salaries should be done by the company itself and not by the national host country

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!

DynCorp International Videos

DynCorp International – Why Work for Us?

A GLOBAL SERVICES PROVIDER OFFERING UNIQUE, TAILORED SOLUTIONS FOR AN EVER-CHANGING WORLD DynCorp International is a leading global services provider offering unique, tailored solutions for an ever-changing world… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DynCorp International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DynCorp International CEO Steven F. Gaffney. All 256 reviews are posted anonymously by DynCorp International employees.