DynCorp International

DynCorp International Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

DynCorp International Chairman & CEO Steven F. Gaffney

Steven F. Gaffney

Pros:
  • "Good pay and union support, the people I worked with were top notch people"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Decent salaries and the working class employees are mostly good people who want to do good work"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Promoting employees to management with no management experience, overall arrogance of upper management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "being away from home living conditions can be harsh"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

LOGCAP IV Afghanistan

Electrical Foreman (Current Employee)
Kabul (Afghanistan)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery well managed in country

ConsProcessing in and out of counry

A huge disappointment.

Air Traffic Controller (Current Employee)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe good thing about DynCorp is... I don't know; frankly, that's a very short list. The paychecks come on time, and I think that pretty much sums it up.

ConsIf the long hours and hostile environment (these are givens, since the work itself is in Afghanistan) aren't enough, you have to contend with rank incompetence at all levels of management. Cronyism and the "GOB" network rule the day. Failing that, people who can bluff well rise through the ranks at blistering speeds, while competent people with actual records of accomplishment are marginalized to the point where the former taking credit for the efforts of the latter seems normal. Blatantly abusive supervisors and "problem children" are shuffled throughout the project, instead of being demoted or fired for their offenses. Petty territorial fights over jurisdiction or responsibility are part and parcel of an average day with DynCorp on the LOGCAP project. Plumbers and pest controllers are elevated to site management positions, yet retain territorial preference for their own former bailiwick and biases against other functional areas, as well as an ignorance of those in more highly skilled functional areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for better people. Given that you're paying well below what most of the other contracting companies have been paying, it's no wonder that there's so much strife throughout the project. You're paying below the average for the area, and so you're getting largely the dregs of the contracting world. You get what you pay for, and trash is cheap. Additionally, changing vacation policies without grandfathering in those who've already been approved for vacation is the kind of slipshod nonsense one would expect from a shady sales company, not a multibillion-dollar government contractor. Lastly, the benefits package you offer is atrocious. Your competitors largely offer much better packages for their employees than you do. Our plan is garbage, and smacks of someone in HR getting kickbacks; seriously, a company of this size and the best we get is a benefits package that would look thin coming from a company a tenth this size.

nice experience , great people , good salary

Security Guard (Former Employee)
Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

Prosgood salary , administration,
nice management .

Consthere are some duty timing issues , which could be improved.

This was a good job. It was great to support the Soldiers.

General Aircraft Mechanic I (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey offer a great 401K plan.

ConsNight shift work is common.

I enjoyed my job working for DynCorp as the Senior Budget Officer in Iraq

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Baghdad (Iraq)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for less than a year

ProsSalary was great, and there was a good team there to provide support

ConsExtemely limited family time and my annual leave of only 2 weeks this working a 6 1/2 week with 12 hour work day and no overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better communication down to the employees in a pro employee environment.

A very good company to work for.

Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee)
Frankfurt, Brandenburg (Germany)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDynCorp has limitless opportunities' to advance and become a team. DynCorp has many good guidelines and policies that keep in line with current mandatory procedures within the aviation community. Lots of good folks to work with at lower level maintenance.

ConsManagement most of the time seems to pick out younger inexperience folks to run maintenance of which they know little about. Although companies need to have a certain amount of younger workers with good ideals these folks need to have a certain amount of mentor ship with more experience and expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet more experience workers run the day to day business of good company practices while offering incentives to mentor and teach younger workers to carry on the good name of the company and ensure each and everyone of us understands what the company is all about.

Good learning experience and good money gained.

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood money and experience gained.

ConsCut throat Management. Very cold on how they lay you off after giving 100% and considered a top recruiter in the company. Watch you back with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, its about the money but....the way you treat your employees it should not be a sweat shop and the good old boy system you have in place. Should be a real Team environment not the authoritarian management style.

Not the best ran company from the operational point of view. Too many unqualified people in key positions at this place

Kandahar (Iran)

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe money is decent compared to what you can make in the US right now.

ConsTime away from family can be an issue for some. 30 days paid vacation at reduced pay. R&R system

Advice to Senior ManagementThe good ole boy network is in full effect with LOGCAP IV. Exactly what actual experience or training is required to be a manager/supervisor. The inmates are running the asylum.

WRM CONTRACT

Maintenance (Current Employee)
Muscat (Oman)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsStable enough work, non conflict zone

Cons1. Low salary compared to other Middle East contracts.
2. No advancement opportunities, stagnation.
3. Human Resources department failing to support disciplinary actions against local nationals, even with documented proof available.
4. Asian workforce has an inadequate pay scale for their skills compared to local nationals carrying out the very same work, who are automatically on a higher salary. Very unfair and this also points back to point 3, where local nationals are unreliable compared to the Asian workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your Asian workforce and give them better wages.
Give them some parity with local national's wages, as the Asian workforce is the back bone of the contract.

pretty decent

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for less than a year

Prosgood money, decent work conditions.

Conseasy to get fired at times

Advice to Senior Managementdoing ok

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!

DynCorp International Videos

DynCorp International – Why Work for Us?

A GLOBAL SERVICES PROVIDER OFFERING UNIQUE, TAILORED SOLUTIONS FOR AN EVER-CHANGING WORLD DynCorp International is a leading global services provider offering unique, tailored solutions for an ever-changing world… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DynCorp International reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DynCorp International CEO Steven F. Gaffney. All 256 reviews are posted anonymously by DynCorp International employees.